TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Beast movie
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
Has anyone seen the movie "The Beast"? If so, what is the model of the Russia tank in the movie?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
I was just showing that movie at work to my soldiers the other day. Most had not seen it before and liked it.

The tank used is the Israeli version of the T-55, upgunned with the 105mm gun found on NATO tanks (M60, Leo, M1). It is called the Ti-67 and were captured by Israelis during the war and put to use. Esci made this kit (#5048) as did Lindberg (#76005). Trumpeter is the only one that is still on the market (#339).

The tank is supposed to represent a Soviet T-62, and looks close enough for the casual observer.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was just showing that movie at work to my soldiers the other day. Most had not seen it before and liked it.

The tank used is the Israeli version of the T-55, upgunned with the 105mm gun found on NATO tanks (M60, Leo, M1). It is called the Ti-67 and were captured by Israelis during the war and put to use. Esci made this kit (#5048) as did Lindberg (#76005). Trumpeter is the only one that is still on the market (#339).

The tank is supposed to represent a Soviet T-62, and looks close enough for the casual observer.

Hey Sabot,
what about the not so casual observer? There has got to be a kit out there for this reason only,meaning a kit good enough for the not so casual observer.
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 103 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:11 AM UTC
What is the movie "The Beast" about anyway?
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the movie "The Beast" about anyway?

Short and sweet, it is about a lost Russian tank, and its crew, in the Afghan desert. Really cool actually

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 06:56 AM UTC
This movie should be shown to anyone involved in Armor... it is a great story about a bunch of disfunctional Soviet tankers, Mujadeheen (sp?) and life and death. I love it... I have a copy of my very own.
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
entire network: 103 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
Sounds interesting, might just have to check it out.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Sabot,
what about the not so casual observer? There has got to be a kit out there for this reason only,meaning a kit good enough for the not so casual observer.

I listed the three kits that have been available of the actual type of tank used in the filming. Lindberg, Esci and Trumpeter's Ti-67, the last one being still on the market. Most likely any of them will require some modification and comparison to screen captures of the tank in the movie.

The movie tank is supposed to be a Russian T-62, the only kit of this being the Tamiya T-62A. The movie was released in 1989, before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the movie was made in Isreal, hence the use of an Israeli Ti-67. Again, it is a very close match visually, almost like using an M48A5 to represent an M60. Much better than using M47s to represent Tigers. Building a T-62 to represent the Ti-67 representing a T-62 in the movie would be counter productive. You'd be better off starting with one of the multitude of T-55 kits, adding a 105mm gun from an old M60 series kit and scratchbuild from there.

Also note that they used a US M2 .50 cal dressed up to look like a Soviet AA machine gun in the commander's cupola. From a distance, it looks good, but when they do the closeups and you see the TC work the weapon, anyone familiar with Ma Deuce will recognize it immediately.

Another final note, did anyone notice how big the interior of the tank seemed? Like they filmed it in a Winnebago. Having spent some time in a T-55, I think it would be difficult to operate that tank with 5 crewmen inside (TC, Baldwin guy, Hero guy, drunk gunner, Afghan interpreter). Soviet tanks were notoriously cramped to begin with.

Good movie, well worth a rental. The Afghan good guy was on Melrose Place, Steven Bauer.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 11:20 AM UTC
I didn't see the movie in ages, but I seem to remember the interior as quite cramped. The movie makes me think of Das Boot. Not much likeness with a submarine, but the way these soldiers live the war from the interior of a chunk of metal is pictured in a marvelous way in both movies. This piece of metal is both their protection and their prison when rough times come.

From the movie I remember a suffocating ambience inside the "beast". I can't compare to real tanks like Rob does, but the real deal must be really tight. I think outsiders have no clue what it must be like to spend long periods of time inside a tank. No picnic for tall guys like me, probably ! Probably no picnic for regular and shorter sized guys either ! Not to mention how it must be when your tank ends up in some other guy's crosshairs !

Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Sabot,

I listed the three kits that have been available of the actual type of tank used in the filming. Lindberg, Esci and Trumpeter's Ti-67, the last one being still on the market. Most likely any of them will require some modification and comparison to screen captures of the tank in the movie.

The movie tank is supposed to be a Russian T-62, the only kit of this being the Tamiya T-62A. The movie was released in 1989, before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the movie was made in Isreal, hence the use of an Israeli Ti-67. Again, it is a very close match visually, almost like using an M48A5 to represent an M60. Much better than using M47s to represent Tigers. Building a T-62 to represent the Ti-67 representing a T-62 in the movie would be counter productive. You'd be better off starting with one of the multitude of T-55 kits, adding a 105mm gun from an old M60 series kit and scratchbuild from there.

Also note that they used a US M2 .50 cal dressed up to look like a Soviet AA machine gun in the commander's cupola. From a distance, it looks good, but when they do the closeups and you see the TC work the weapon, anyone familiar with Ma Deuce will recognize it immediately.

Another final note, did anyone notice how big the interior of the tank seemed? Like they filmed it in a Winnebago. Having spent some time in a T-55, I think it would be difficult to operate that tank with 5 crewmen inside (TC, Baldwin guy, Hero guy, drunk gunner, Afghan interpreter). Soviet tanks were notoriously cramped to begin with.

Good movie, well worth a rental. The Afghan good guy was on Melrose Place, Steven Bauer.

Hey Sabot,
You are an armor god! Thank you for the information.
wolf-leader
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the movie I remember a suffocating ambience inside the "beast". I can't compare to real tanks like Rob does, but the real deal must be really tight. I think outsiders have no clue what it must be like to spend long periods of time inside a tank. No picnic for tall guys like me, probably !

You got that right, Jan... I'm 6'1" and was an M1 driver just recently moved up to gunner; Tanks may look big from the outside, but wicked tight with 4 guys inside...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC
Its funny how sometimes a topic comes up that you wouldnt have realised much about it earlier. that movie has started running on swedish cable just yesterday and I watched the bit at the start where they attacked a small village. As it was valentines ...... i had some other things to take care off ....... wink wink..... but it starts again in 44 minutes. thats why Im on here ....... passing time to it starts...... coinsidence or what?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 04:58 PM UTC

It's available on DVD and when I bought it, it was kind of pricey. About $25 or $28.

But, it's a good movie and a must see for modern armor fans.

Knowing what we now know about Afghanistan, some scenes are a bit overstated. And, the side story with the women is a little hard to take.

The weapons the Mujhas have are pretty accurate including a seven shooter (Enfield) and other ancient pieces.

Still, its a very good war movie and the tank is great aside from that AA gun. What were they trying to portray? A DShK? Not even close on that one.

Rent it or buy it. Fun movie for armor fans. Be sure to look out for the 'Tank Boy' scene...

Steve
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's available on DVD and when I bought it, it was kind of pricey. About $25 or $28.

But, it's a good movie and a must see for modern armor fans.

Knowing what we now know about Afghanistan, some scenes are a bit overstated. And, the side story with the women is a little hard to take.

The weapons the Mujhas have are pretty accurate including a seven shooter (Enfield) and other ancient pieces.

Still, its a very good war movie and the tank is great aside from that AA gun. What were they trying to portray? A DShK? Not even close on that one.

Rent it or buy it. Fun movie for armor fans. Be sure to look out for the 'Tank Boy' scene...

Steve

Sniper,
OMG $25.00 - $30.00 for the beast?!!!! where did you buy it from? I bought mine at walmart for, don't kill me , $4.99. Sorry to hurt your wallets feelings .
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sniper,
OMG $25.00 - $30.00 for the beast?!!!! where did you buy it from? I bought mine at walmart for, don't kill me , $4.99. Sorry to hurt your wallets feelings .

No, I'm happy for you!

I figure anything under $100 is OK to blow. Hey, I make pretty good money right now! Not sure about next week, but right now's OK!

But, at my local Wal-Mart stores I haven't come across The Beast. Just a lot of copies of Armagedon and Spy Kids...

Steve
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
Excellent Movie, Crunching the old man under the track, converting the dysfunctional tanker into an immediate Muhajadeen warrior, almost Ramboesque come back, How about the downed chopper scenes and the democratic division of spoils? and the star of the movie is something we all know and love, Armor! What could any tank nut not like about the mayhem?

shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The weapons the Mujhas have are pretty accurate including a seven shooter (Enfield)...

I could've sworn that Enfields had 10-round magazines.

As for The Beast, great flick. I remember the first time I watched it shortly after it was released on video back in '89 or '90.

A lot of us in my platoon had mixed emotions about the plot. We wanted to root against the Russians, but then again, they were fellow tankers!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:38 PM UTC
An interesting discussion on the film: http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum13/HTML/001626.html
One of the members surmise that it is one of few films wherein the tank really fired real rounds - or at least inert HEAT rounds.
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:51 PM UTC
Yeah, that's what really stood out the first time I saw the movie. Not only can you see the guns actually recoil, but you can also see the dust flying off the ground and fenders from the concussion. Great stuff, especially for a movie.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
I checked all the local video stores and no one had it, but one was willing to get it for me for the price of $32.99. A little pricy for a movie I've never seen. Tonight I was in Wal-Mart, hunting for a picture frame diorama base ironically enough, and wandered into the DVD section and what to my wandering eyes should appear, but about 10 copies of The Beast...for $5.88. I can live with that price, so I bought it, have yet to watch it though.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:35 PM UTC
If I knew you were looking for one, I would have lent you my copy. It's on my desk at work.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
Thanks Rob!!! It's one of the movies I kept an eye out for because none of the video stores in my area have it. The stores have one of two specialties, romance movies (which I generally don't watch) or horror (which I love). Other than that, they are fairly limited to the action/war movies they stock. Most of them are either new releases or the classic films.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 06:22 PM UTC
Never heard of this flic before. Looks like I almost missed a good one. I thought it was that giant squid copy of Jaws that came out a couple of years ago and was wondering why on earth was it being talked about here. Now I know and have another movie on my checkout list