TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Memphis Belle
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 07:42 PM UTC
Hello all
The other night i watcned Memphis Belle (hollywood version) and thought it was pretty good. how many B-17's did they use? and is there some original footage in there?

Andrew Barclay
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 08:15 PM UTC
Its indeed a pretty entertaining movie, for Hollywood.

The only problem with the script and the actors is that they fight too much. Do you really think that a crew that argued that much during a flight would be able to complete 25 missions? NEVER!!!! Teamwork is the name of the game when you are in the military.

The aircraft shots are pretty good though.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi,

There is a topic about that movie here at ArmoramA. It has some links for sites with the story of that plane. Memphis Belle

HTH
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 113 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
As far as I'm aware, they used three B17s during the filming of the 'Hollywood' version. Actually it was mostly filmed in the UK (Pinewood). I do remember that one B17 was actually destroyed accidentally by fire during the making, which is enough of a reason to dislike the film!
I know they used the UK-based B17G 'Sally B' with the chin turret removed to make it look like an E. I suspect they probably also used the French-based one 'Pink Lady' although I'm not certain about that.
The documentary film version is far more interesting in my opinion, some of the shots in the Movie version are directly inspired by the documentary footage, but if you want some really wild footage of B17s, check out 'The Thousand Plane Raid' filmed, I think in the early seventies, it's a bloody awful storyline, but it has the most amazing low level stunt fly-by of a B17 you're ever likely to see, plus one doing a wheels up landing (nostalgia wasn't very high on the list in those days).
Continuity buffs can have fun spotting the different paint jobs on 'Memphis Belle' (in the documentary version) check out the different patterns on the wheels!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
why did you have to tell me one was destroyed in the filming now i hate the movie I'm pretty sure thier are only 8 b17s still flying how did they get that many e versions the only type i have ever seen is the g version?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
Well from a historical perspective, the movie was pure crap. Memphis Belle's final flight was nowhere near that eventful. Hey if you want to see something great. Texas Highway Dept has a commercial about littering. a pickup is driving along a two lane country road paper and crap blowing out the back. Surprise a B-17 comes up right behind them (filmed witha telephoto of course) from out of a hidden valley. THe comment Don't litter in Texas you never know who is watching. Wish I could copy that video.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:51 AM UTC
right now i wish i lived in texas #:-)

big brother is watching
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:20 AM UTC
If you get the opportunity, go to Midland Texas and meet FIFI. THe ONLY flying example of a B-29. Also the main base of the Confederate Air Force. Here in Dallas we've got a small branch. I heard they were trying to get a flying restoration of a Zero (that would be and only as well)
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
I thought the movie was great, and of course my sister liked it because Harry Connick is a "Hunk". Thats her opinion though, I just like his voice, hes one hell of a singer!

~Chip :-)