Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Dallas, Texas
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:21 AM UTC
Man I wish I was back up in the DFW area. I miss all the modeling guys like Doug Cohen and Arthur Burning. I met a lot of good guys while I work at the Hobby Maker, good memories!!!!!!! Haven't found that yet down here in San Antonio. I did find a good hobby store here in Austin, Kings Hobby. They take real good care of me and all my wants and needs. Those guys are so good to me, that they where willing to hold stuff that came in for me right when i got deployed for Hurricane Rita, till I got back.

Anyways, in February, San Antonio has its Feista Con, hope to see you guys down here for that. And hopefully next year, my drill weekend won't fall on Supercon and I will get to go. It really sucked that i was just 20 minutes away and i couldn't go this year.

Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer Ben, it's much appreciated! I'm going to give these tracks a whirl and see how they do, if I can't hide it well enough I may take you up on the offer if you have a pair of Tamiya Panther A tracks that you don't plan on using.

Once I get done with this I really have to crack down and find more time to work on two campaign builds, including the campaign I started. lol Hockey's taking a bunch of my time, which is why I figured I'd take some spare time and build the Tamiya Panther. Seemed a simple enough kit to let me build something without going crazy like the new DML kits will make me do with so much to build on them.

I have four campaigns until the docket's clear for me after Dreadnaughts, then I think I'll spend some time building one of them nice shiny DML kits.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:58 PM UTC
Moe, if I remember correctly Tamiya didnt make a Panther A recently... Unless you are talking about the old old panther.... which I dont have :_

I do have a pair of Italeri Panther A tracks if that's what you looking for.

Let me know and they are yours!

WC
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
Yea, it's the old... old Panther A I picked up for like $10 at Hobby Lobby during one of their 50% off sales. No biggie, I'll make these tracks work fine I think. It'll learn me not to daydream with my wife's hairdryer while trying to stretch track, I'll stick with the cheapie one I was using before. Only problem is it's not super powerful, which is a double edged sword. It makes it easier to not melt the track but it takes longer.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Moe if I am not mistaken, that early Tamiya kit is extremely innaccurate. It might be a "D" version, I don't remember. I've got a Dragon Panther D that is not as "thought / planning" intensive as their new Tiger kits. In fact, just the last 3 , the Initial, and late Tigers and the Panzer IVe are that way, all the other Dragons I've got seem to be easy straight forward kits. But like you, I'm campaign challenged. finished my dreadnaught, working on my Nam entry, then the Flattop. I' have been trying to get my "MEOW" campaign approved to work on one of those new Tigers, but if that doesn't go through, well....no more campaigns for a year or so. I've got way too many tanks in the stash now
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
working on my first set of linked track. italeri m113, old version. time consuming and keeps me out of my wifes hair i reckon. wish me luck....

reb in arlington
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC
repeat time consuming

what an experience!!!!!!!

still unfinished with tracks, but back requires a rest period, and so do the fingers..........

any of ya'll feel free to e mail or pm any tips if ya please.....

reb
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 06:27 PM UTC
Reb, the key for me is building 5 links at a time. By the time you finish a 12 packs of Bud Lite, you will have a beautiful set of tracks.

Building indy track link can be theraputic. I once did a MK panther G tracklink each comes with 5 parts! Each side has 87 links. You get numb after awhile haha!

Right now all my tanks have indy tracklink except the Emil. Would I go back to rubber again? Probably not, it just don't have that "weight" into it

WC
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:49 PM UTC
Yea, even as historical tank challenged as I am I can see some inaccuracies and shortcomings in the kit. It's not a horrible kit by any means but it's not a super easy build. It's built up now, has a base coat (need just one more coat to even it out) of dunkelgelb and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to camo it or leave it 'naked' in dark yellow.

I really like the Panther though, it is a neat tank and I'm going to have to get one of the newer kits either through store or trade. Has DML come out with a Panther yet in the same way as the other Dragon kits lately? That tank needs a really nice kit like those are with all the extra trimmings.

So those new kits are pretty demanding in terms of planning? I had that feeling first time I looked at it OOB and have put all my new Dragon kits up for when I feel more comfortable tackling that type of in depth build as well as having the time to dedicate to it. lol

Quoted Text

Moe if I am not mistaken, that early Tamiya kit is extremely innaccurate. It might be a "D" version, I don't remember. I've got a Dragon Panther D that is not as "thought / planning" intensive as their new Tiger kits. In fact, just the last 3 , the Initial, and late Tigers and the Panzer IVe are that way, all the other Dragons I've got seem to be easy straight forward kits. But like you, I'm campaign challenged. finished my dreadnaught, working on my Nam entry, then the Flattop. I' have been trying to get my "MEOW" campaign approved to work on one of those new Tigers, but if that doesn't go through, well....no more campaigns for a year or so. I've got way too many tanks in the stash now

RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 05:46 AM UTC
Greetings Wild Card and welcome to the gang. I have to agree with everyone here that really the only decent stores left are Hobbytown's. Be prepared to mailorder and ebay ebay ebay. Hey guys I have transferred with my employer and will be moving to Granbury. A little further but I plan to still make it to the shows when I can!!
tazdog
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
Are there any upcoming shows to the metroplex?

thanks
Scott
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC
hiya gang,

welcome scott and enjoy the platoon, and dive right in.....

finished the track links. the sections were broke into small med and large, with 15 individual links for the sprocket and idler wheels times 2, not as bad as the all indy tracks, but for a returning newbie, a challenge and lesson learned.

anyways
have a goody guys and gals

reb
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:31 PM UTC
wassup?

reb
tazdog
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
nothing much here,
Went to the hobby town on cooper this last weekend.

did some looking around to try and figure out what I'm going to do next..

Have a pretty decent selection that I think..

Other than that, just looking up things on the net for research on the diorama..

Scott
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
I will have to say that Hobbytown (on Cooper) is great for diorama supplies. They really love trains there and consequently carry a lot of the Woodland scenics stuff. Get some of their super fine ballast and if they have any, superfine turf products. I also like those large bottles of liquid white glue. just hook a pump sprayer up to it and it puts a great coat on ground work.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 04:55 AM UTC
I'm another Dallas-based modeler/plastic mangler. Would anyone be interested in forming an AMPS charter here?
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 05:22 AM UTC
Another one to the herd! lol We're starting to get a nice little group going here for our area. I thought someone said earlier in this post that there was a group that met in the plano area, not sure if it was a real club or an informal one. Anyone else know?
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
not a clue

maybe blaster would?

reb
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hey DFW Dwellers,

I was off 2 weeks from the big A because my monitor blew up! So I used the time "wisely" to build my MOM entry. Anyway, it's good to be back!

Welcome Jim! Yes we should form a group here in the metroplex so we can get together once in awhile to BS anything from plastic to the Dallas Cowboys. I'm totally game if anyone want to get together.

WC
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
sounds good to me, be nice to all get together for a group meeting and swap ideas and tips......

reb in arlington
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 10:17 PM UTC
Reb, I'm in Irving. Perhaps we can meet up at the Hobbytown USA on Cooper sometimes.

Is Blaster also in Arlington? I thought he mention that before...

WC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:08 PM UTC
No I'm in Grand Prairie which is right in between.

There used to be a group of Tank modelers that met at some guys store in NE plano, but that was several years ago. I think Keith knows some of those guys, I just probably know their faces from the model shows.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC
Going down to the Hobbytown in Arlington today at 2:00pm to meet Rebel and perhaps Steve? Anyway wanna join us and trash talk about this hobby?

WC
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC
and a great time was had by all, did the cuss and discuss thing, looked at and compared several models, and made some purchases. Steve and Ben have some good news, and i will let them give it.

great meeting up with you Ben and Steve...........

reb
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:58 PM UTC
I had a blast talking to Reb and Blaster today. We end up "loitering" in the store for so long that the owner of HobbyTown invite us to have our own room there if we were want to have meeting!

Later Steve invited me to his place and show me his awesome model collections. Too bad I didnt have camera to capture all the dioramas, tanks, planes, ships, cars, and figures. It was a real treat!

I'm hoping all you DFW drewell could join us sometimes. If there's enough people we can make it a regular thing.

WC