TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Band of Brothers on DVD
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:15 AM UTC
This miniseries came out on DVD today... or was it last week?
Anyhoo, what's it about? Is it worth getting?
I don't get HBO, so I never saw it. I still need to get the DVD set of 'From the Earth To the Moon'... Here it is on Amazon.com

YodaMan
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:12 AM UTC
Yoda, I just bought my copy of Band of Brothers today at Best Buy ($79.99 plus you get a free copy of another WWII movie called When Trumpets Fade. This is a great deal!).

Band of Brothers is based on the Stephen Ambrose book, following the men of Easy Co., 506th PIR, 101st Airborne through training, D-Day, Holland, The Battle of the Bulge, and through to the end of the war. I have seen the HBO presentation twice, and IMHO, this is the best WWII war film I have ever seen. If you are only going to buy one war flic, this is it, for me. This is supposed to be my X-mas prsent from my wife...now I have to figure out how to get her to let me watch it before it's winds up under the tree.

Mike

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
Da Yodaman, as MJ said, it's a really good series. Must have collection. I got a copy one, but is thinking about to get the real one.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 05:05 AM UTC
Has anyone watched the DVD?? Does it have alot of extras?? I've seen the series about 5 times (taped it) is it worth buying the DVD?
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 09:53 AM UTC
Bison, I haven't opened the package yet (like I said, it's supposed to be a X-mas present) but on the front of the package it says:

10 Episodes...bonus features include:
80 Min. documentary "We Stand Alone Together: The men of Easy Company"
30 Min "Making of 'Band of Brothers"' featurette
Interactive "Field Guide" featuring timelines, maps, soldier profiles and other information
to enhance the viewing experience.
Web links, and more!

Sounds pretty good to me.

Mike

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 03:37 PM UTC
hello
i taped it as well but my little sister taped over it
is it out on tape or just DVD us here in NZ will have to wait a while till it comes out

Andrew Barclay
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:57 PM UTC
I purchased the box set at my local Best Buy for $79.99 and received "When Trumpets Fade" for free. The box set is definitely worth the money. Disk 1 through 5 contain the 10 BOB episodes(2 on each disk).

The sixth disk is an excellent addition that contains veteran interviews, daily diary that was videotaped during the actors 10 day boot camp prior to film production and a seperate documentary on the making of the series. There are pictures on the sixth disc as well. I've looked at probably 75 still photos on the disk that were taken during various stages of filming. I bet there is at least 200+ photos on the disk.

If you need additional information, let me know.
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it worth getting?

Yes, I think it is... I best scene in the DVD colleciton is when they are in the Airborne-aircraft... So realistic exept the 3d animations...
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 04:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This miniseries came out on DVD today... or was it last week?
Anyhoo, what's it about? Is it worth getting?
I don't get HBO, so I never saw it.

I suppose it's up to you, but I am not going to get it. I struggled with the series, I found the first couple okay but went downhill after that. In Australia I saw the boxed set yesterday for ~$120 and I have better things to spend that money on.

Looking at the blurb though, it looks like that it if you liked the series it would be worth getting. It seems that here is a fair chunk of bonus stuff, what specifically I don't know.

Cheers,
Linz
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 04:48 PM UTC
I've dropped repeated hints to my wife... I even whisper in her ear when she is sleeping "Get Keith the Band of Brothers Boxed DVD set for xmas" ....

Maybe a few of you guys should also email reminder her! ([email protected])

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:45 PM UTC
Me and Octupus got some nice box set in China last week for about USD 25, great quality. Don't know if it's the China version or copy though, but everything is there, comes within a nice box, and it's a steal!