TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
last ever enterprise (SPOILERS ALERT!)
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 06:34 AM UTC
well.....what a cop out episode, archers crew reduced to a holodeck prog on picards enterprise, shoehorned in to an episode from 10-15 years ago, yet with riker and troi (everyones favourite whiney female character) filmed this year, so it looked ridiculous. maybe it had a touch of george lucas " making the prequel fit the later show" vibe that has made star wars such a laughing stock, or the producers were getting bored with it all. it just fizzled out, and thats a bit of a shame really, and a slap in the face for anyone who enjoyed this series
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
Never having been a real fan of that particular series I didn't watch too many episodes...but are you telling me that whatever was portrayed never really happened and it was all just a holodeck 'storybook'?

If that is the case I bet a lot of the die-hard fans feel like they wasted an hour a week of their lives. What a sham. An ending like that might work for a sitcom (Bob Newhart comes to mind) but not for a sci-fi drama.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
Keith,
Riker was using the holodeck like a history book. He needed some advice and went to that time period to get by using the holodeck. "A living history book."

Did you understand that, becuase I sure didn't!!!!!!!!
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
Phil,
So it was 'history' and meant to have 'happened' like it did in the show, only not. Yeah, a bit confusing.

Hollywood, go figure.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
Ok, now you confused me Keith
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Well I guess I didn't watch the show enough.

Let me see if I got this straight:

Riker needed some advice so he went to the holodeck and asked the computer to show him how the 'original' Enterprise' history unfolded, rather than read the 'original' logbooks.

Is this holodeck history supposed to be accurate?
Or is it the 23rd century version of television? 'Cause we all know how historically accurate TV and movies are.

I know the series went off the air early. Did the show end abruptly, as in Riker found his answer and ended the holodeck program leaving the audience wondering what else happened.

(I suppose I could go read the synopsis somewhere online. I was just intrigued by this thread.)
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC
Kind of yes Keith. He did end the program but after Archer was walking down thw stairs to, what I guess, is to sign the federation treaty. The actual begining of the United Federation of Planets.
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:10 AM UTC
yes it ended with the signing of the treaty, but i didnt care for riker and troi being put in at all, but by doing this they were able to advance the archer era enterprise story forward ( the NX 01 bridge appeared to have had some upgrades) and end it by switching off a holodeck and having picards enterprise steal the limelight. very disapointing for anyone who enjoyed the show
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
I was a bit turned off by the series even before it aired.
The whole Enterprise thing. I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but wasn't the 'first' true starship (to use the saucer layout anyway) the USS Potemkin?

I know the producers had to tie in a common name somewhere to keep the fanbase happy, but Roddenberry is probably rolling over in his etherreal grave.

Wasn't one of his ideals to keep the Enterprise out of the limelight? The only thing she originally had to make her stand out was that her commander was the youngest Starfleet captain ever. The Enterprise NCC-1701 wasn't the flagship, wasn't the first one built or even the class of ship. I believed Roddenberry was trying to give it an 'everyman' point of view.

Okay, I went off on a tangent and way off topic. Sorry.

I guess my point has something to do with ruining a storyline, series, and franchise, just because they can.
almonkey
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
in the enterpise credits you do see a saucer shaped ship with nacelles coming off the sides before enterprise is shown. another niggle is the way it took them five minutes to develop, transporters,phasers, photon torpedoes ect. all the things in fact that are easy plot devices
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 - 04:59 PM UTC
That's how it ended?! Could someone fill me in on what happened after they found out that they were in the 40's, the US had been invaded, and the Germans stopped at (Where else?) Hoosier-land, that's where! But yeah, that's pretty much where I stopped before school got in the way. :-) Thanks for your time.