TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
"Over There," GET IT OFF THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
I no this isn't the palce for this type of stuff, but being that there are several VETS and current service members here both US and abroad, I thought it would be ok to voice my opinion.

Yes OPINION, that why I serve, to be allowed to voice my opinion. The people in hollywood has that right too. But when they are airing trash, thats a different story.

Yup, I just finished watching the second episode of "Over There" hoping it would be better. I almost turned it off in the first 10 minutes, but I thought I would give it the benifit of the doubt!!!!!!

Being a first Gulf War Vet and missing the chance to be with my Brigade over in Iraq right know, watching this garbage hits home!!!!!!!!!!! Yes GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I am asking from some of you, is there a way or someone who can help get this garbage off the air?????

You know, OI wonder what the MArine Sargent who is the advisor really thinks about this show or is he just out for a buck. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST MY FELLOW BOTHERS IN THE MARINES, but come on, to be associated with this C$%P!!!!!!!!

Sorry for venting

DUTY HONOR COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi pete,
I haven't gotten the chance to see this program yet so I can't offer any opinion about it.
But I'd like to hear just what it was that you disliked about it so much.
Thanks,
Craig
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:55 PM UTC
First, I know some of you guys are saying just change the channel, but hey, I want to vent!!!!

Check the othe two threads on last weeks episode, they are not to far behind.

No problem Craig, let me see if I can give you a run down of last nights episode.

First off, they had they had one of the white characters and the Black character fighting while on post. Yes, they where fighting over an appology. The black guy even pulled out a knife out on the other guy. WHILE ON POST in a combat zone over trying to get an appology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have had my differences between some of my soldiers and othe NCO's I disagree with, but I would never consider pulling a knife out on my fellow soldier no matter how much I hate him. That is the person I have to cought on when it came down to a fire fight.

Second. The wife of the soldier who had his leg blown off by an IED. She threatened the commander over the phone for not providing child care so she can go and see here husband. We have what you call a "Family Support Group" in themilitary and onther program called a "Family Care Plan." These programs are in place for such things. It's not the CO's responsibility to take care of his soldiers dependents.

Another thing is the cheating wife. People don't need to be seing things like that. The soldiers over there have enough to worrie about let alone what thier spouse is doing back home. I should know. I got a "Dear John" phone call when I was there the first time.

It's just little things like that which make it bad. To me, it's not the right time or place to be showing something like that.

To me, it's just making us, the military look bad!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:25 AM UTC
Pete, plaese don't take this as any kind of rant against you, it's just how I see things.

Saw the first episode and commented on it last week. I got back from the club meeting just after 10:00 and watched a couple episodes of Discovery Revolutionary War series.

I do not believe in organized TV boycotts at any level or threats against advertisers. I believe strongly in the free market place of ideas. I won't be back to watch it again, but I won't on my own terms, not because it bothers someone else.

I have seen too many attempts to influence what I want to watch by (usually conservative) groups who don't want programing on TV that they don't like. I can't get into Desperate Housewives but I don't want a Donald Wildman-type telling me I can't watch it if I want to.

From what I saw, the overall production values and misjudging its audience will be its natural downfall.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:31 AM UTC
Thanks Pete. I appreciate the feedback.
I heard an interview with Bochco on NPR the other day that some folks might find interesting.
Here's a link to it...

NPR

I read the other thread about the show. Thanks too for the heads up on that. Something mentioned there was about the show running while we have our own people over there. I believe he talks about this very thing in the interview.

Note...I'm not defending either him or the show here. He doesn't need that from me and I haven't seen the show so I can't offer any opinions yet. Just giving folks a chance to hear his thoughts. I have enjoyed some of his productions in the past and I've also disliked some of them. Without having any personal experience with the subject, it's easier for me to take the shows as nothing more than entertainment. I find that anything I see or hear on TV (especially the evening news) that I have more than a passing knowledge of I tend to have a similar reaction as you did Pete.
Thanks,
Craig
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:40 AM UTC
Your 100% right Al! I'm sorry for making it seem like I was trying to tell you guys to do something.

When it comes to speaking, I'm not that good at it, but I think you got the idea of what I was venting about. It's just venting and I can easiely change the channel!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
Glad you understood my meaning...not always easy in this medium. I agree with you completely on the quality. It 's a long way Boccho has come from Hill Street and it's not a good place he's in.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC
I couldn't stomach watching the second episode after watching the first one, for different yet similar reasons. First off, they're making this into a soap opera more than a drama series IMO and that's only after 2 episodes.

They definitely do not show our troops in the best light, to me they came off as hopeless kids without a clue. They made the Army look like a disorganized place with poor training, no motivation and no espirit de corps. I've always busted Soldiers chops over the differences between the Army and the Corps when I was active and now long after I've been out but I've NEVER seen nor gotten the impression that the troops were that much of a mess. lol

I dunno what the Marine Sgt who is the technical advisor is doing, is he actually advising or is he just taking his paycheck or are they just not listening to him and using his name and service affiliation to give the show validity? The show suffers from a severe lack of realism, the gritty look and filters on the camera alone aren't enough to make it feel real. After the first 15 minutes I saw of the 1st episode I said to my wife this thing doesn't belong on the air and won't last, I think that will be the case unless they overhaul the show immediately. No need for any sort of boycott, if it doesn't garner an audience it'll die out and I think this one is WAY off the mark in garnering an audience.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
I was looking forward to this series ever since it was announced but after 2 episodes I was B-O-R-E-D bored!. I dont exactly object to the material or even pretend to know about the realism as it is TV drama, but I just didn't find it interesting.

I'm sorry to say that I am giving it a thumbs down. I think he attempted to make it a full drama on all fronts when personally for me I just want action. I'm glad he just didn't make it one of those jerky camera shots like NYPD Blue... a show I liked very much.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC
Guys - Last night I saw:

The soldier with the attitude not wanting to admit the "Beer Run" was a mistake and not own up to his failure to check the trunk of the vehicle he allowed to pass. This lead to the truely unreal incident where the white soldier demanded an apology and the two went to blows - in a war zone! Both should have been arrested and sent to the stockade.

The American soldiers shoot and kill 2, 5, 7 CIVILIANS last night and this one checkpoint. The image here is that if we kill 7 at this one check point, compound that by hundreds and the slaughter of the Iraqi people is on. This would bolster the claims of several anti-war goups that the "REAL" number of Iraqi civilian deaths is nearing the quarter million mark.

The unit get the ONE soldier in the entire OIF who is AN EXPERT on the Arab culture and speaks fluent Iraqi - WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE ODDS THAT THE ARMY WOULD ALLOW A SOLDIER WITH THESE TRAITS TO BE A MEMBER OF A FIRETEAM AND NOT IN INTELLIGENCE???????

I actually thought the portrayal of the young wife was realistic. We live today in a CNN world and what better way of getting what you want than to threaten to go to the press. I was disappointed that the plot had her going ballistic because of the late notification and not just the emotion of having her husband seriously wounded.

Like many of you I wanted to give this program a "fair" viewing before I condemned it. The previews for next week will make many of you even more angry. An Iraqi is detained who may or may not have knowledge of the whereabouts of a number of Stingers. A mysterious "interregator" arrives and really works this guy over to get the "truth".

After seeing that I am ready to join any letter writing campaign, any protest, any boycott to let Osama Bocchco and his band of insurgents know that WE ARE MADE AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE.

WE ARE IN WAR DAMN-IT. FIGHTING AN ENEMY WHO WANTS ANYONE WHO OPPOSES THEM DEAD.

THIS PROGRAM IS NOTHING MORE THAN ANTI-AMERICAN, ANTI-WAR ON TERRORISM, ANTI-PRESIDENT GWBUSH - BULL DROPPINGS

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
Technical advisrs I don't know if they have a say or not. I remember way back when there was Black Sheep Squadron or Baa Baa Blacksheep, any way the Technical advisor was Boyington himself. Now this show was an absolute complete farce. The 214th were crackerjack pilots not a bunch of misfits as portrayed. I take this Over There show to be a "soap opera". That is what Bochco has always done. Too many of you are caught up in the Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers" type accuracy. This show is about the drama each of its main characters deals with. So Bochco throws in some "soap opera" elements, racial fights, cheating wives. I kinda like this show for that reason. I'm ex-military a tank officer, but I am suspending disbelief to enjoy some interesting drama. How can you enjoy Science Fiction without the suspension of disbelief. Or watch Lost or even comedies. It's entertainment, nothing more. They say there are 200 channels to choose from nowdays. Change the channel. You want to talk about unbelievable military situations, refer back to JAG. Yet I loved the characters and watched reruns time after time
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:25 AM UTC
Calm down Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You see Al had to make me think straight after I ranted and raved!!!!!!! He is also right about trying to convince everyone not to like something too. We can voice our opinion and "CHANGE THE CHANNEL." But as you can see, the majority feel the same way we do.

Steve,
I really don't think it's more accuracy rather than how he is potraying us in the Army. Weapons, vehicles, and uniforms look outstanding. It's the things like what Frank and I mentioned. I now I can change the chanel, thats why I heard what Al was saying and changed my tone.
And I loved watching JAG, MAC WAS HOT. But what they did with the Afghanistan Operation is totally different that what this guy is doing with OIF. For example, when Bud lost his leg. They showed in there own way the dangers of being over there, but at the same time, he was on his way to a school dedication.
"Over There" seems all bad, racism, fighting amongst each other, pot smoking, adultry. I don't think right know is the time for it. Save it for after this is all over.

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Sometimes it is hard to be calm when your personna is that of George *%$#(*&%#!#%*()*^% Patton.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:38 PM UTC
I agree with you about suspension of belief Steve, it's necessary to enjoy TV shows and movies but this one's a bit different. The reason being, this is a show based around events that are happening right now. Maybe after the war is over and everything's settled down the show might be better suited to TV. Kind of like Tour of Duty back in the 80's.

The thing that gets me in the realism department is these guys just don't act like soldiers, they appear to have no training and to me it's an affront to the US Army and her fine soldiers. Especially being that it's DURING the time of war that this show is based around, along with all the other little things that rankle my nerves like radio procedures that are NEVER caught right on film. Only movie I recall hearing pretty accurate radio talk was Tears of the Sun, the tactics in that too were pretty good. Immediate action drills being used when ambushed, advising "danger close" when Willis called in the CAS. Blackhawk Down was done well too but the use of "sir" over the radio always gets on my nerves. I NEVER heard one person EVER use "sir" over the net to a higher ranking officer. Call signs were pretty self explanatory and you always knew who the brass was. lol

I don't think this show is long for the air...
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
Now thats funny Frank or should I say General Patton SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, we have to shed a little humor in this to show that in the mist of something serious as this conversation, we can still jokw a little bit a show that we are all still friends just voicing our opinions.
Moe and Al,
Thanks again for re instating what I am saying. speech wasn't one of my best subjects in collage or in high school.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 05:44 PM UTC
It's ok Pete, you're a doggie so us jarheads have to watch your back.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:45 PM UTC
Hmmm...

in a way I would like to comment... though I have not seen the show, nor have I myuself personally served (though have been hinking quite seriously about joining the armed forces)...

I have my thoughts about some of the opinions voiced... but not sure if (and how) to post them considering some of the reactions in the WW III scenario thread.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC
How we as vets react to certain "portrayals" of US (our military)is different than how the John Q. Public views and reacts. I remembr in early 80's, other than John Wayne's Green Berets, all Viet Nam films were highly negative "Coming Home" , "Apocalypse Now", "Deer Hunter" and the others. So along comes "Platoon" advertised and perceived as a POSITIVE Viet Nam movie. If you remember, it has soldiers destoying a village, and 2 Sergeants trying to kill each other. This show is doing that so far. POinting out a few positive things like the guy saying I'm here next to you. The bravery of rescuing the wounded female soldier. Yea, it is pointing out a lot of really bad things as well. I had to live through the era of negative perceived military (baby-killers) you guys have all this positive support the troops given to you by the pubic. This show won't change that. Before I get upset at the show, I'm going to wait and see where Bochco takes it. Hopefully he'll start emphasising more positive than negative things in future episodes
Mosseman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
I don't like it either.
For one, they would never allow cameramen that close to fire. Two, you can tell that this is crap because close to the scene when the sarge yells at the cameraguy to get down, the scond after it he's in the dirt behind them.
Then he's in front of them, WHILE THEIR TAKING FIRE. Our marines hopefully don't allow cameras to be shoved in their face while in war. It's plain and simple, ridiculous.
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:07 AM UTC
I've never been in the military, but, I think anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell that this show and whats happening to our troops serving, have nothing to do with each other and are two tottally different worlds. I ve watched bolth episodes and they are horrible! I never seen such terrible acting and writing. I was hoping for the next "Band of brothers" and boy am I let down. Although I must point out one thing though, At least the war is being talked about in one way shape or form (even though I feel not acurately). I can't even begin to talk about how pissed off I am about how the media is treating this war!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:18 AM UTC
I'm with Steve (Blaster76) on this one.

If anyone tuned in expecting a flag-waving, every-soldier-is-a-saint, every-officer-and-NCO-is-a-born-leader, there-are-no-problems-with-race-or-anything-else-in-the-Army type of show, I think you need to learn a little bit about what it takes to make interesting drama. If there were no conflict in this show, and no one got hurt, we might as well re-make the A-Team (a worthless piece of drivel) in uniform.

Pete and others: If you don't like it, don't watch it. Like Steve, I'm still forming an opinion. I didn't care much for the first episode, but found the second to be better.

As to a fewof the criticisms:

Yes, there is drug use in the Army, but pot is not very popular because it shows too easy on drug tests and stays in the system a long time. More prevalent are designer/club drugs (like ecstasy) and LSD has been a fave since the late 60s.

Yes, there is racism in the Army, just like there is homophobia, sexism and outright cultural ignorance.

Yes, there is adultery in the Army. I can cite numerous examples, but just Monday the TRADOC Commander -- a four-star general within a few months of retirement -- was relieved of his command for having an alleged adulterous affair with a civilian woman. His divorce was final the same day he was relieved of command.

Yes, the Army sometimes screws up casualty notifications. I can cite specifics, but I've probably already bored most of you to tears.

I plan to watch a few more shows before making an opinion. I kinda like the sergeant -- reminds me of a few of my friends. "Dim" is also a familiar kind of guy. Come to think of it, when I was in uniform, I knew guys like "Angel," "Smoke," and all the rest.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
I was heartend by the third episode. The wife of the guy with the amputated leg. HOw strong she is in her support of her man . The way they handled the Terrorist... it did not go over the top, At the end you are left to your own opinion on the destruction of the Stingers. Did the farmers buy it or not? I choose to go with an extremely accurate bomb that did not kill them as they were well past the barn and still walking away when the bomb hit. Like Bob (Hollowpoint) I think the show is slowly improving with each episode. It's not meant to be a rah-rah show like "Band of Brothers". It does remind me of Tour of Duty a bit. Of course that show had the advantage of being done years after Viet Nam when passions had cooled considerably.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
I don't know. I guess I'm just not interested in the storylines. I know that there is racism and drugs and infidelity and stuff in the real army. I was just looking more for an action show like Combat or Rat Patrol that took place in OIF. I was not looking for another NYPD Blue drama. To me it's not the political message, inaccuracy, non-rah-rah of the show that puts me off, it's the lackluster stories that disinterest me
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 08:23 AM UTC
I know a guy who has served in Iraq as a Infantry soldier. He said he didnt get to see the first episode, but the 2nd and 3rd episodes he said were very realistic as far as whats going on down there. I liked the 2 episodes I saw also.