TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Wow! 'War' is dark, scary, and fun!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 04:54 PM UTC
Saw "War of the Worlds" and let me tell you it's a great film! This is one scary ride. Never has the end of the earth seemed so real.

If you love the sci-fi movies of the 1950's like I do, this one will make you smile in horror. Some really fantastic images that will leave you wanting more. The airliner, the very first time we see the tripod ship, and the ferry scenes are classics. Big budget blockbuster movie making at its best.

Spielberg has really crafted a dark, edge of your seat fright fest. And Cruise, no matter what he says on talk shows, does a great job as the clueless father who stays one step (almost) ahead of certain death. I think he's awesome.

One small bone of contention occures just before the credits rolled. Now I won't give away the ending (and I'm talking about the very, very last scene here because I'm sure you already know who wins), but it did detract a bit from the films' overall impact. If it wasn't for that one scene (and I understand why it was done) this would be a 10. As it is, it's a 9.5 and that's about as good as it gets!

Make sure to see this one on the big screen as it's well worth your time.

Steve

PS - How come that guys video camera was working during the first destruction scene when the EMP effect had fried everything else electronic?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 05:26 PM UTC
As a kid I read this HG Wells story at least 3 times. It was one of my favorite comics (Classics Illustrated). I loved the 1950's version and I understand hat another version was just released which has the attack occur in Victorian era Britain (via the original book). I figured this one to be one of the very rare "better than the original" remakes. Glad to hear it is so.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 04:53 AM UTC
I'm a big fan of the story. I've got the book, and read it multiple times. I've also listened to the Orson Wells radio program over and over. Seen the 1950s movie so many times I could rattle off whole scenes. I've even got the rock album made in the 70s, narrated by Richard Burton, with some songs by Justin Hayward on my computer to listen to at work. I'm just not sure about this one. I've gotten really tired of Tom Cruise of late and I'll have to convince myself that he won't ruin the movie for me. I'll probably see it, but it might take a while.

I really do wish they'd do one that isn't taken into the present day, and base it on Victorian England like the book. My favorite scene in both the book and the rock album is the Thunder Child iron clad taking out one of the tri-pods.

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've gotten really tired of Tom Cruise of late and I'll have to convince myself that he won't ruin the movie for me. I'll probably see it, but it might take a while.

Don't be a baby and see it! This is a great version of War of the Worlds.

I also have all of the version you mentioned including the Burton rock version from the late 70's and this only adds to the classic.

I don't watch too much entertainment related TV so I haven't heard much about Cruise other than what I have read. From what I've heard, he has an opinion. Fine with me no matter how nuts he is.

I don't really care what famous people say when they aren't acting so I can enjoy a film for what it is.

And this is a good one. Finally.

Steve
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 08:04 PM UTC
Pushed my "Sunday Night Movie" ahead a day due to the holiday and just got back from watching this.

Wow. Dark is right. Some intense scenes in this one gang. I am pretty sure that myself and half the attendees were leaning forward in their chairs the whole time.

And I could care less if Cruise believes in the very aliens in the movie, he plays the role dead-on. I love the similiarity hinted at the beginning of the movie between his job and the "tripods". Subtle.

Highly recommended.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC
Saw this with the family (wife and in-laws) over the weekend, and WOW!
We were all blown away.
This film is NOT an easy ride - I checked us all out at one stage in the movie and our body language was nearly identical, sitting tight on the seats and with our arms crossed defensively - brilliant!
Can't say much more - I'm sure Joe Bob would say check it out.
I'll agree that the ending jarred slightly, but that's not to deny that Spielberg did a GREAT job prior to that - the focus on the Tom Cruise character throughout made it much more personal and real than say the techno-histrionics of Independence Day...

acav out
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 02:48 AM UTC
Wow! 'War' is dark, scary, and fun and boring
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi all!

I just saw the movie... and I must admit it's a good piece of work! Some scenes are incredible!
But, is it me or... blood, disease, no cure, death... isn't the movie some sort of allegory of AIDS? One scene in particulary is coming in my mind to think that, besides all the little "things" along the movie...
Well, maybe I just "think" too much!

Jean-Luc
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
Pretty good film, but the noise the tripods make sure gave me the willys (scary not the jeep :-) ).
procrazzy
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 359 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
the sound the tripods make are really creepy, and i was sitting in the front row of the cinema so it was extra lowd!

cheers

Philip
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. I've even got the rock album made in the 70s, narrated by Richard Burton, with some songs by Justin Hayward on my computer to listen to at work. .

I really do wish they'd do one that isn't taken into the present day, and base it on Victorian England like the book. My favorite scene in both the book and the rock album is the Thunder Child iron clad taking out one of the tri-pods.

this album is being made into a c/g film, due for release next year, check out http://www.waroftheworldsonline.com/movies/moviescontentbar.htm as for this film i have NEVER been this scared watching a film! and im 38 years old
Mosseman
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC
The Japanese OWn in that movie. It said they killed some before us. Impossible