TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Into the West
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
I just finished seeing the second episode. All I can say is STUPENDOUS !!!!!!!! Only 4 more left
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 12:06 AM UTC
I'm really enjoying the series myself. It's the most realistic treatment of the western migration that I've ever seen. And I think the use of Native American actors speaking in their traditional languages (with subtitles) really makes the series. The costuming is outstanding. This is the type of history that television is capable of.

-Charlie
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Ihaven't seen this week's episode yet, but that's on tap for tonight. The first was excellent.
I also like that TNT chose to do this over several weeks, rather than the standard network "mini series " that ties you up for two or three nights in one week. I also like that they're presenting it on three nights at a time to acknowledge that we have real lives and either may forget one night or have other commitments.
Kudos to TNT.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 06:55 PM UTC
knowing tnt, when it is all done they'll put it on again for those of you who weren't clued into this one. You really need to have seen the first episode in order to understand all the in's and out's of what is going on.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
Yeah, yo uhave to see 'em all. Miss one hour of it and you are screwed. I know. I missed an hour and almost never got it figured out again. But, it is a super series.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:40 PM UTC
I spoke with a re-enactor last week who does aboriginal Americans in the French and Indian and CIvil War periods. He was disappointed with the sanitation of the Sand Creek massacre. I've found this to be a pretty fair depiction of the times, bvased on my readings. If they touch on Little Big Horn/Greasy Grass/Custer's Last Stand, it will be quite interesting to see if they follow the eye witness (Lakota) accounts the suggest Custer was among he first, not the last, to die.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
I'm liking this series also. I'm like others in that I missed one episode and kind of lost track of who's who. I'm almost kind of glad they didn't show the Sand Creek massacre in all it's grizzly details. Coloradans should be as ashamed of that episode in our history as anybody living can be of something that happened 100+ years ago.

Have you folks noticed that the actor who played Jacob Wheeler was the same guy who played Captain Spears in Band of Brothers? I liked him, and most of the cast, but I think it was just a bit off putting whenever they used a fairly well known actor in a bit part, like Sean Austin, or Mathew Modine.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
Tonight they are going to do the Custer bit. I too am curious how it will be done. I know it will be SO MUCH BETTER than "They Died With Their Boots On". It's nutso night in that SCI-FI Friday kicks off tonight as well. Thank God for two VCR's
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tonight they are going to do the Custer bit. I too am curious how it will be done. I know it will be SO MUCH BETTER than "They Died With Their Boots On". It's nutso night in that SCI-FI Friday kicks off tonight as well. Thank God for two VCR's

I don't know, I wasn't impressed with the actor they had playing Custer in the episodes up till now. I think he is too young for the part. It might be a bit over the top but in some ways the best Custer has been Richard Mulligan in Little Big Man. He went a bit too far in some scenes, but he looked the most like photos of Custer and had some pretty good scenes.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 03:01 AM UTC
Re: Custer. He was only 37 at teh time of his death, so he'd have been about 34 in his first appearance in the series.
I saw this week's episode with the battle of the Greasy Grass/Custer's Last Stand. I was impressed how they treated this. No glorification of Custer. They also got history correct. he was last seen having taken off his buckskin jacket and was wearing the blue fireman style shirt. He'd also cut his hair befeore this campaign, which they took the effort to do. While no one knows for sure, in Custer Falls a book from the 1930's based on interviews of native participants, Custer may have been among the first to be hit even before the battle got seriously underway while leading a smaller group. If that's correct, his men would have brought him back with them to "Last Stand Hill."
As with the sanitizing of Sandy Creek, they did not get into the mutilation of the troopers that tool palce after the battle, just the looting of goods.