TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
MS-Dos games
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 942 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi all,
I've a few dos based games that I can't play on my computer (Windows XP home edition).
If I was to purchase dos 6.2 or similar could I then run these games?
Ta in advance
tom
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
It's a little more complicated than that. You would have to have a multi-OS boot configuration and then select the OS you wanted. If you list the games, there might be a work-around for them. You might still even be able to play them in a DOS window under XP. You would have to slow your CPU down to handle the games correctly, but I think there's a free app available for that.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:49 PM UTC
You can also try the Windows "program compatibility wizard." Go to start, all programs, accessories, and then look for it. It should be on your version of XP. Basically it asks you for what system the program is supposed to work on, then makes XP mimic that system.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 08:29 PM UTC
Rodger, if I do this will it enable me to play the Dos based games. I had tons of Doom series and Steel Panthers and great Battles in the N. Atlantic/Pacific series. I had thought to eventually buy another CPU with a decent sized c drive but with a DOS and early version Windows system. Then getting a double plug in to attach to monitor. I like FREE much better, that and not having to swap around computers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
Steve, I don't know if it works on every game, but I play a free down loadable game called Steel Panthers that is DOS and the XP wizard thing got it to work. It's not perfect, but playable.

winters1
Visit this Community
Brussels, Belgium
entire network: 166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
maybe download an emulator? you can have emulators for old arcvade machines also
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
FAILURE

It didn't work, so its going to be plan A after all
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
Try Dos box. It's s dos emulator which allows you to play old dos games on new computers. I have it on my computer now, but I haven't tried it yet. My friend told me it works wonders.

Some of these dos games are really problematic. I couldn't play Betrayal At Krondor even with my old computer (boght at around '98, 233mhz, 32 mb rametc.) The game just didn't want to start up. Error messages complained about not enough memory. Memory recognizition is one the most frequent error I have had.