TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Newspaper review of Sahara
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
The Denver Post has a review of the new movie Sahara today.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~82~2802496,00.html

I tend to like this reviewers reviews. She seems to have generally liked it, for what it is, an action movie. I was concerned when I heard Clive Cussler didn't like the script, but this review might get me into the movies to see it. If anybody sees it let me know.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
Sounds like a "fun" movie. It should do well. I think to the diehard Cussler fan, it might be too glib. I was a reader of the Ian Fleming books, and we all know the liberties taken with those, yet I have seen EVERY ONE of the films and for the most part enjoyed them. (Did hate Moonraker and Octopussy)
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hi Rodger~
good subject just finished the book!
These newspapers are not worth nothing
compared to what we think of the movie
vs the book!
Lets go see it and make are own judgement!
I only hope the great book "whatchers" won't
go that horrible to the silver screen!
Ron
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
Go to rottentomatoes.com to see all the reviews.

The movie sounds terrible. Don't know if could be much worse than the Flight of the Phoenix remake though, but it probably is.

Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC
I have to agree with Hoovie. I ignore reviews. My own opinion on something is all that matters, and I never get swayed by what critics have to say one way or another. I have seen movies that the critics have raved about and hated them (like the current Sideways) and loved movies they absolutly hated (like Starship Troopers). Sometimes our opinions match like with the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. One man's garbage is another man's treasure
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:57 AM UTC
I have just watched this movie, after reading the book again and it sucks. I can forgive the casting, but the plot only vaguely resembles the book. In the Cussler book you have about three storylines going which join up with each other and makes sense out of it all. In the film none of it makes sense as they seem to have thrown it all in a pot, stirred it and then thrown it all over the floor. In conclusion another great book thrown to the dogs by Hollywood.
If you have not read the book it is proberly an average action flick. I doubt there will be a sequel (with any luck). Thats my 2pence worth anyway.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
I saw the movie yesterday and I have not read the book.I felt that ut was a pretty average action flick...but I agree with blaster 100%-- everybody has their own tastes and likes.

Sean
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 03:53 AM UTC
From what I have heard about this film since it opened (absolutely zero) it will soon be left to histories junk heap.

Maybe this is a rental. Maybe...

Steve

PS - I'm waiting for the summer movies - War of the Worlds, King Kong. Might be good stuff.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
My theory on critics is you have to find one who shares your tastes. From the reviews I've read that reviewer up in Denver seems to like what I like. I also like to here from people, like you folks, who share my interests. Based on comments here I'll probably wait for DVD. A shame really, I was giving it high hopes. More than I did Flight of the Phoenix, which I still haven't seen, even on a $1.00 rental.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
I'm with Halfyank. Critics tell you what THEY think, not what TO think. They base their opinions on they study of writing, direction and acting, not on whether any givuen individual is going to like a movie. I hate spending $9 on a movie that's going to stink to high heaven. But I'll also choose to go to a movie I want to see that has bad reviews, (e.g., Terminator 3) as a guilty pleasure.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 08:23 PM UTC
Well being a major Cussler fan, that and NOT being a rich man, this one will be relegated to the DVD viewing...when I get 99 cent coupons from Hollywood Video. Though present advertising is claiming the number 1 movie tag...of course look when they release it....2 months before the summer movie binge.

I think the producers knew. :-)