TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Anyone seen Blackhawk Down yet???
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC
How would you rate the movie? It's due here next week or so. I want to know if it's worth going to.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
Recommended, intense. May make you feel angry at the buracracy. Don't get a drink in the theater, it's a long movie and it's almost non-stop action. Reading the book may help some people follow the movie better, but even if you've never heard of the book, the movie stands alone real well.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
Excellent film! Highly accurate portrayal of an extremely heroic moment in modern combat.
Gave me a new found respect and confidence for our modern troops. I personally recommend reading the book if at all possible. It WILL be worth the time to read, and help you understand some of the nuiances and interrelationships between the U.S. & Somalia, the Rangers & the D-Boys, and lastly the Politics and Realities of military commitment to a cause.
But take Rob's advice on the drink thing. Unless you've got a young constitution, drink lightly! The movie will engage you. I bought popcorn and barely touched it.

Tread.

P.S. My only complaint with the film is that they didn't give the involvement of Shughart & Gordon more credit. They both received the Medal Of Honor for their heroism. It should have been given more story time.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
Dang, tried a new avatar. Didn't know they had plastic surgeons in the 'Corp, did ya guys?
I look 40 years younger!.......nah, don't like it. Gotta change back. Althooooough, he does kinda look like George Clooney in Desert Storm utilities, with a five day growth.
But then there's no ladies here to make it worth it is there? :-)

lol.

Tread.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
I checked on a website and found out that the premier is on April 12. Looking forward to seeing it. I've conned my daughter into going and seeing it because of what's his bucket...Pearl Harbor guy, oh yeah Josh Hartner. (Without my wife standing next to me helping remember such important things I would still be guessing!!)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC
Uhhh, THOR.....I mean Hunter. How old's your daughter? You need to know the movie is quite realistic in it's portrayal of mortal injury too! I'm not sure if I'd suggest taking her if she's under 16. And even that's pushing it
Sorry, not tryin' to be a downer here. Just tryin' to keep them all as pure as possible for as long as possible, know what I mean?

Tread.

Always
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, guys! And for not giving away the story LOL
I will definitely go see it now. Don't know if I'll get around to reading the book first....
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
Believe me David, it will be worth the effort to read the book if you can.

Tread.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've conned my daughter into going and seeing it

I've seen the movie and I must say that it is not suitable for those with thin nerves... it's not so intense as Saving Pvt. Ryan (in my oppinion, at least), but some scenes can turn your stomack upside-down...

Hey, the movie has been in cinemas here in Croatia for couple of weeks now.. Brian, how come Sweden didn't have the premiere yet? and I thought I'm living in the middle of nowhere... LOL

Mario M.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Still a couple of months away from seeing it over here. PPV takes a bit to get em...but beats the heck out of a theater anyday!
Form what I've heard it's everything it's been cracked up to be. Got good reviews across the board.
Time to hurry up n wait. It'll be worth it I'm sure!
:-)
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Believe me David, it will be worth the effort to read the book if you can.

What I meant was, I don't know if I'll get around to reading the book before I go to see the movie. I will read the book too, that's for sure but I have a lot of books to read still.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey Maki! I've posted a query in the 'Dream Model' thread regarding the Canadian Bison APC in UN markings. I believe it was used in Bosnia, around Visoko. Did you ever see any in your neck of the woods?

Tread.

Always
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Maki! I've posted a query in the 'Dream Model' thread regarding the Canadian Bison APC in UN markings. I believe it was used in Bosnia, around Visoko. Did you ever see any in your neck of the woods

No, not really... SFOR and IFOR troops usually came to Bosnia trough Croatia, but trough the coast (do I have to say I live in the mainlands...?) All I have seen here were Canadian UNPROFOR troops in their M113s back in the nineties...

Mario M.

HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thanks all for the head-up on the content of the movie. Saving Private Ryan is her favorite movie aside from Pearl Harbor. After seeing the History Channels BHD I can understand it might be too much.

Thanks again!