TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Sahara
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
I see that a new movie is being released in a few weeks. SAHARA If I am not mistaken, this is from the Clive Cussler book. A Dirk Pitt adventure !!! If they do it right, it oughta be a pretty fun movie. The books/stories are really wild and do play fast and loose with history, but having read most of the books I can say this....they sure are fun. If you haven't read the book you oughta go...I promise lots of surprizes.....remember this IS FICTION. This is from the same guy who wrote Raise the Titanic.....it was a great movie until they finally discovered the real Titanic
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
I saw an add for Sahara and wondered if it was the Cussler book. He does tell a right good yarn, though Raise the Titanic didn't really do the book justice. Looking forward to seeing this one.

I'm reading his book Sea Hunters II. It combines two of my passions, history, and underwater archeology. Not that I've ever done any of the latter.

Cussler is a pretty interesting character himself. He lives up here in Colorado, really does collect old cars, and pays for expeditions to find historic wrecks out of his pocket.

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
As a Cussler fan myself if Sahara is as lame as the Raise the Titanic movie, i will be extremly dissapointed. His books are an excellent read with a wonderful set of characters and plots. I wait with bated breath that the movie will be as good as the book.
P.S Who's playing Dirk Pitt
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC
A few weeks back I read the book Sahara It's a good sized book The movie will have to be long to do it any justice

I think Matthew McCougnahey (spelling?) is to play Dirk Pitt
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A few weeks back I read the book Sahara It's a good sized book The movie will have to be long to do it any justice

I think Matthew McCougnahey (spelling?) is to play Dirk Pitt

You're correct, he is playing the lead character in the movie. I only know this because yesterday they showed a ton of commercials for it throughout the Daytona 500.

My wife said it looked like it'll be like National Treasure since she saw it, I missed out on going. lol
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
Been a Cussler fan for a long time. Hope the movie is as good as the book. Rodger, you are right about Cussler throwing money at wreck sites. He financed the search for the Hunley...
Link:

http://www.numa.net/articles/navy_credits_clive_cussler.html

Shaun
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
You guys have me intrigued with this Clive Cussler guy. I would like to start reading his books. Would it make sense to start with the very first book (Pacific Vortex) and work my way up from that or it doesn't really matter with this guy. I am asking because some authors come up with a character and use him/her in all of their books. In that case reading books chronologically is recommended.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC
I really hope they do a good job on this and that it turns out to be sucessful...then they might start doing other Dirk Pitt adventures..Hey that's how James Bond got going.for over 40 years now
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
Marty, I really don't think you need to reed them in any particular order. I can't remember anything that you would miss out on, except he does on occasion mention things that have happened in earlier books. It's kind of like in passing, not like you'll miss anything about the current story by not knowing what went before.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC
I wonder if Clive Cussler will have a cameo appearance He usually does in his books :-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
Thanks Rodger!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 06:06 AM UTC
I don't know if Cussler will get to do a cameo in the movie, but I'll bet at least one of his cars will. The cars that Dirk Pitt collects are all ones that Cussler has. And Marty, I really hope you like your book. I kinda view it as desert when I read a Cussler...they are just plain good fun reading and he makes the utterly fictional seem totally believable. Like Rodgersays, they are all stand alone novels, kinda like the old Ian Fleming James Bond.
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 06:48 AM UTC
Damn LOL I am only
half way through the book!
Have to ignore commercials!!
Ron
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC
Trust me Hoovie....the ending of the book will blow you away. I think this was one of my favorites, though they all have been so very good.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
I wan to thank you guys for starting this thread. Thanks to you I am on my third Cussler book and can't put it down. I haven't read Sahara yet (local library doesn't have it) but will definitely get my hands on it before I see the movie. Great stuff!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:33 AM UTC
I saw a recent review of this movie in that "stellar" critical magazine Playboy. HOwever one comment stood out that got my attention....Cussler fans would be disappointed. Could end up being another Tomb Raider.. And Marty, I've read a bunch, had 2 or 3 in the stash and then went out and bought 3 more at the used book store. I have never been disappointed. Read Pacific Vortex a couple of weeks ago. Just great and I think that was one of the early ones.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cussler fans would be disappointed

That doesn't surprise me. I don't think much of any of the Tom Clancy films yet, most Stephen King movies suck, especially any that have Stephen King's name over the title, only John Grissom comes across half way decent, and even they have their moments.

Have you read Night Probe? I think it was one of the better ones. I also really liked Vixen 03, I think that was the one, where they sailed a Iowa class BB up the Potomac?

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:46 PM UTC
I read those 5 or 6 years ago. Gave the books to my sister who loves them too. She gives me lawyer and mystery books in return...(you can see who gets the losing end of that deal...except she usually gives me a bag ful so I guess 5 to 1 is a fair ratio) :-)

You ever read any Stephan Coontz books beyond Flight of the Intruder. His stuff is quite good. If you didn't ever read Team Yankee and the follow on books by Harold Coyle....(went to VMI with the guy. He was one of the Platoon Leaders of the Tanker PLatoon when I was there). I've read Team Yankee around 3 times and even bought the comic book set of it
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You ever read any Stephan Coontz books beyond Flight of the Intruder. His stuff is quite good. If you didn't ever read Team Yankee and the follow on books by Harold Coyle....(went to VMI with the guy. He was one of the Platoon Leaders of the Tanker PLatoon when I was there). I've read Team Yankee around 3 times and even bought the comic book set of it

Yes, I've read most all their work. Only once or twice, which is unusual for me. I may have to dig them out again and give em another go.