Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Gawd awful week
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC
I started a new job thru a temp service last week. After two days they pulled me because I made someone feel "uncomfortable". I guess I fit the profile of a psycho killer to them...I am older, white male, college educated, kept to myself, live alone and am ex military. One lady asked me a bunch of questions so I guess this is where all this crap came up. Temp agencies never give you a break or ever ask what is up, they just jerk you. Yesterday I got a call from unemployment (I filed a month ago) saying it was in dispute..the last job said that I had operated a forklift in an unsafe manner beause a poorly wrapped item had fallen off the pallet. Pure speculation on their part as I follwed every safety precaution such as seat belt, driving and facing backwards, pallet 4" off ground and driving very slow around corners beeping horn...just the temp agency fighting having to contribute. The final insult came when my Dremel spun a bearing rendering it usless. This greatly hinders my modeling efforts. Thank god for ebay, I've foud two similar ones that I can bid on for less than $20. Thank god the 113 I'm working on will keep me busy for a few days and I won't need the dremel. Oh, thanks for listening.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:37 AM UTC
man, my weeks been crummy to, my chem. teacher totally messed up on my grade report, and said i had a 60%!!! when i definetley turned my work in......shes off her rocker anyways (she bangs her head in the walls and writes 0s on the walls w/ marker all the time) so we'll see how far she gets......
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:36 PM UTC
Aren't there rules against things like that??? "Uncomfortable" isn't enough to jerk someone in my world. Sounds like discrimination to me... Get yourself a hungry, young civil rights attourney (reduced fees and/or pro bono) and eat the temp agency for lunch... I'm all for rules and regulations, but two days does not a fair chance make!!!

Blaster put on your war paint!!!! What ever happened to the idea of job security???
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 10:57 PM UTC
Unfortuneatly in the US it is. We've been totally caught up with politically correct. In the temp world you can get fired / pulled from a job for almost anything. Temp agencies operate in an extremely cutthroat business. If you don't do it, the company will switch agencies. Plus the agencies have 10 more people right behind you wanting your position. It is definitely a sellers market on labor in my region.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 11:28 PM UTC
Well... what does one say to that??

Am I totally wrong if I think that is a system failure??

Then again this is probably not the place nor time to start in on some like this. Steve I'm so sorry that you are a victim of this vicious cycle. Hats off to you for not going "d-fense".
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 07:33 AM UTC
I think what distresses me the most is that no one has the courage any more to come up and say hey that bothers me please don't do it. Or in the case of the temp agency to find out what it is you did specifically to make someone uncomfortable and as long as it wasn't something that was a personal threat or sexual remark to warn the employee that it gave someone concern and to cease from that behavior /talk. In all honesty I don't know what I did and neither does the agency. Heck it could be that my bad breath bothered someone. In the old days, my manager came up and told me this...I started using breath mints
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:42 PM UTC
Blaster,
EEO works for temps too!
File a complaint with your state labor relations board, an employer can't just dismiss you because you made someone "uncomfortable". Being fired for cause is a very hard thing to make stick, if you were a bad employee with a file full of progressive disipline forms on you then maybe they could get away with it. If all they had was an arbitrary complaint from some employee feeling a little pissy, you should prevail.

Don't let these clowns run rough-shod over your rights.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
Oh man, thats bad, steve ,
people are so soft these days, i fell that if some one cant just say what ,or if,something bothers them then dont say anything at all !
unfortnatley, society in most countries ,has developed into a "tackle-tale" culture ,hear say, and rumour are the most damaging things to happen in a workplace ,
i think you are a prime example of this,i think here it would fall under un-fair dismissal .
i dont know about the u.s. though , best of luck mate !
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
Texas is a right to work state, so unless you can prove discrimination you pretty much don't have a leg. The temp agency will definitely not fight for you and will categorily state the I was not "fired" but I just don't expect them to try real hard to find a new job for me. Istill play the game with them, but I've already signed witha new agency this week and probably anoher next week.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
Yeah keep going Steve ! good luck mate !