TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Day After Tomorrow - Hope it's Good
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:29 AM UTC
I'm most looking forward to seeing 'Day After Tomorrow' this summer. I hope it will be good, but looks a bit too much like Independence Day in the commercials. Instead of a wave of fire coming down the street, it's a wave of water.

Actually, I'm going to see it in NY so I hope the scenes to the city destroyed don't scare me and my girl too much!

Boy, NY gets NO respect!

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Boy, NY gets NO respect!

Well, actually, I think America loves New York City!

Ever notice how US society seems to have a fascination with the "train wreck"? I think NASCAR is so popular because people secretly want to see the pretty car(s) wreck. Notice the "rubberneckers" on the highway slowing down to a crawl to see an auto accident...

Like the Japanese with Godzilla destroying Tokyo time and time again - New York is centerstage for the audience. When Volcano came out, not many people lamented the destruction of portions of Los Angeles...

Gunnie
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC
Maybe I'm just being dumb, but what's the movie about actually?
I saw the trailer but it's still not clear to me, something to do with global warning was all I could figure out...
Sorry for being a dumb@ss again...
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:33 AM UTC
thats about the strength of it, watched a documentary about it the other night, some doctor of some thing said yes it is going to happen but not on the time scales that hollywood are depicting rekons that the polar caps will melt but it will take years for the sea levels to rise this will cool down the warm currant that go's around the world (cant for the life of me remember its name ) and another ice age will start.cheery aint it
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:41 AM UTC
When I first heard the title I was hoping it would be a sequel to "The Day After," the cold war classic where Jason Robards avoided nuclear annihilation by hiding behind the dash board of his car...
The new movie isn't based on the Heinlein book, is it?

Shaun
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Saw this on Drudge today, so don't get your hopes up.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120825,00.html

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw this on Drudge today, so don't get your hopes up.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120825,00.html

Jim

Hmmmm...
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hilariously awful in most places, with an incoherent script and questionable acting, "Day After" will come on Friday and the question will be: Can innumerable, mind-numbing special effects, nearly all of them created on a computer and placed in what can only be called a random order, overcome sheer inanity?

The rest of "Day After" is simply a rehash of past triumphs. The special effects are clearly from the Emmerich school: lots of stopped traffic, yellow cabs' horns honking furiously, crowds running in all directions from the oncoming horror of meteor-sized hail.

Sounds like my kind of film!

Can't wait. I love big budget crap films!

Steve
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 07:32 AM UTC
We went to see this last night. Wait for the DVD or go to the cheapest matinee you canb find.
Yes, the SPFX were great. The plot went AWOL, however.
The destruction of LA was a farce, I mean it really was farcical. Helicopters flying next to huge tornadoes! :-) These folks were nothing more than extras waiting to be wiped out.
The science was hopelessly silly.
I laughed at the Russian ship floating on Manhattan streets.
And if you do see it, watch as the Blackhawk is about to set down on the snow...there's a plate for the wheel WAITING for it! :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
Grin, Giggle, Giggle, Giggle...

I saw it on Friday night too. Um, the science in this flick makes Star Trek Hawking-Brilliant in comparison. But, the SFX are really entertaining - if you can get past the sensational situations the characters are put into. I was happy there weren't any flying cows or Bill Paxton in this movie though...

I went back to see Shrek 2 again - and enjoyed it even more.

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Shrek 2 was fantastic!!

Saw Day After yesterday....was very unimpressed. Hehe...wife is downstairs on phone talking about this to a friend... "it was fun". She likes disaster movies though.

Jim
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:15 AM UTC
I don't know........I mean it just doesn't sound real to me. I mean, global warming causing a second (Or third?) Ice Age? It just doesn't seem right to me.......also, I think the music isn't right, "Surf city, here we come......." . Though, one thing that has always gotten me is the fact that only the major cities are taken out. Take Armegeddon, for example: It just seems like the Almighty just decided to destroy Paris, New York, London, LA, etc. Oh well, let's just hope for another WWII movie. Thanks for your time.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know........I mean it just doesn't sound real to me. I mean, global warming causing a second (Or third?) Ice Age? It just doesn't seem right to me.......

That part is plausible, that glaciation takes place in a matter of a few days, is not

Quoted Text

also, I think the music isn't right, "Surf city, here we come......." .

That music was not used, though it could have been for New York.

Quoted Text

only the major cities are taken out.

Well this one makes it clear that all of the Northern Hemisphere north of maybe Atlanta is under the ice.
It's more interesting to see Paris, Rome, New York and LA take it on the chin than East Podunk because we all recognize the landmarks and there are likely emotional impact from the destruction that seeing a farm get wasted (Twister ) lacks.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
Well, the film will still make millions as the preponerance of movie goers are upper teens and early 20's. They'll go for the "cool" effects. Might check it out on dvd but as for me, I'm looking forward to Arthur and Spiderman.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:11 PM UTC
Saw Day After Tomorrow and liked it.

Sure it was stupid, but it was better than most of the big budget films I have seen recently. Saw it with a Manhattan audience, so it was fun to be there.

Give it a try, it's fine for what it is. Who cares if there were probably millions of dead but no real mention of them.

Steve
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 04:36 AM UTC
I recently saw The Day After Tomorrow and it was pretty good in my opinion. Although i do feel it is a bit unrealistic. But hey..its a movie right not a documentary. Just enjoy it as that.
Mary