TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
CSI
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:47 PM UTC
Humor me fellas. But I would like your take on this:

After getting your fill of the 2 CSI shows (to date). Which team do you think is better? The Las Vegas Team led by Gil Grissom or the Miami team led by Horatio?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:38 AM UTC
Well, I only watched about three episodes of the Miami show but I can't STAND it. Horathio acts, or really over acts, like a cop, not a scientist. My family and I all have to gather around the set on Thursday nights to watch Grissom and crew.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC
For me it is the Grissom's team, hands down. I have been watching them from day one of when the show came out and I think it is one of the best TV shows out here. I do watch the CSI Miami once in a while but I simply cannot get past David Caruso's over-dramatization of every line that comes out of his mouth. He needs to relax a bit.
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
Must agree with the others. The original CSI is much better, and because of the reasons mentioned in the other posts. And now a days I can't see CSI Miami, but no bigger loss...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
Me too - thumbs-down on CSI Miami. I like 'Vegas better too...

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
I haven't seen the David Carouso one, but I've seen one where there is a big cop who bullies folks in the interogation room. Show remeinds me of Perry Mason...he bullies and bullies and the person ALWAYS breaks down and confesses. Why watch a show when you always know the "good" guys are going to win in the end? YUCK...Personally, I like dramas like ER and American Dream where you don't know where the show is going to go until it gets there. I guess I am more a character guy than an event guy. I loved Magnum PI because it is about friendship and loyalty probably why I like JAG . If I like the characters then the show can do no wrong.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't seen the David Carouso one, but I've seen one where there is a big cop who bullies folks in the interogation room. Show remeinds me of Perry Mason...he bullies and bullies and the person ALWAYS breaks down and confesses. Why watch a show when you always know the "good" guys are going to win in the end? YUCK...Personally, I like dramas like ER and American Dream where you don't know where the show ...

Don't sound like CSI to me -- sounds more like NYPD Blue.

Try watching The Shield on FX -- great cop show that shows cops are human beings and not super heroes. Maybe some of the characters are too corrupt or "over the top," but as a former law enforcement officer, I see a lot of truth between the lines.

I quit watching ER when Julia M. left the cast.

Want real-man soap operas? Watch the Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, or Saturday Night Fights on HBO. hooah
Tanker25
Visit this Community
entire network: 180 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 06:03 PM UTC
I'll go with LV. Afterall they are the pioneer. Besides, are they planning to have all the major cities in the US to have a CSI show? let say 50 cities? LOL

seriously, Redhead Caruso tends to overact all his lines. I mean whats with the deep tones and all? But one thing i like about the guy is, he really can dress. Finess personified.

The two surpervisors of both shows (gris and caine), for me are both stift as a rock. well, at least gil have some nerdy humor sans horatio. And pleassseeeee...no girls for both of them? but my suspicious and malicious mind, i think horatio caine have a thing with her sister in law (forgot her name, the actress is sofia milos). as for gil, the only episode that i think he got attracted to a woman is during the investigation on a whore house. you know, the "manager" of that house knows what grissom wants and needs. that was the first time ive seen grissom felt exposed.

another thing is, why are both leads can be personal with there investigation, but there csi crew seems cant? IMO.

surely, both shows are very informative and i hope they will run for decades.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:24 PM UTC
Grissom gets my vote. Well done, good group of actors. Miami looks and feels to much like Baywatch mixed with Matlock.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC
LV. Just love watching Marg H. :-)8 The Miami crew doesn't ring true, with the the investigator who's always "honey, this" and "sweetheart that" to the corpses. Sorry, but with that attitude she'd be burnt out in a week. The yellow tinting is bothersome, too. And Horatio always looks like he's doing a stand up impersonation of Grissom. He comes across as the teacher/mentor we always hoped we'd have.
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 100 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
Los Vegas...

Although Horatio has started to rub off on me...

I really enjoyed this weeks episode that had Caine going to New York, and working with their CSI (lead by Gary Sinese).... Could we possibly see a darker CSI set in New York?? ?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 09:15 AM UTC

Please enlighten me. Why do people like these shows so much? Is it the violence, or maybe the elements of sexual devience?

To me they seem almost perverse. Is there such a fascination with fictionalized, sensational death that allows so many of these shows to exist? Kind of like the Discovery channel with so many shows about murder, serial killers, and serial rapists.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't watch what you want; not at all. Just that I don't understand the attraction. I've been on the scence of numerous murders and violent deaths and it has never once been glamourous or entertaining in a pleasing fashion. Not like what I have seen of CSI with beautiful women and cases solved in seeming minutes.

Again, I'm just trying to figure out, with so much real world violence, the tremendous appeal of these programs!

Steve
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 12:13 PM UTC

Why do folks watch "Days of Our Lives", "Survivor" or "Hollywood Squares". Its just entertainment... take it as such, and don't try to disect it.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why do folks watch "Days of Our Lives", "Survivor" or "Hollywood Squares". Its just entertainment... take it as such, and don't try to disect it.

Well, gladitorial comabat could have been viewed as 'just entertainment'. Don't you think it's interesting to know why people are attracted to what they are attracted to? Doesn't it say something about who we are?

I for one think the fascination in death, sex, and crime to be very revealing.

Steve
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 07:02 PM UTC

Well, death and sex are still pretty taboo areas to discuss in our N.American culture... Makes for intriguing television for some... Look at "6 Feet Under".

Crime? Well, I think everyone invisions living on the 'wild' side once inawhile... Another taboo area.
Tanker25
Visit this Community
entire network: 180 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
it all boils down to preference. I mean, we dont have to like something just because everybodys liking it. CSI for me is in-depth scientific investigation because i like science. I dont watch it because of sex, crime or murder. of course i also watch it due to simple entertainment. i cant stand shows that are plain non-sense. so to enlighten you doesnt mean anything.

just like what you like, its difficult to be enlightened if you have a close mind or sort of. anyway, opinions are meant to be discussed and in a way debated. that's the beauty of it.

and to quote from the movie Gladiator "Are you not entertained?!"

good day

cheers
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
Sniper, you raise a very good point and I for one don't have an answer. I can only tell you that my family and I, especially my wife, are hooked on shows like CSI, Forensic Files, Cold Case Files, Autopsy, and such. I think in my case it's pure morbid curiosity. I'm also fascinated by shows about archeology, including underwater archeology. Now I would be the last person in the world to actually want to see an autopsy or find a dead body. In college I tried to write an episode of the TV series Quincy, ME. I was given a chance to actually view an autopsy to gather some insight into what Quincy might go through. I passed without a 2nd thought.

Still given the chance to see CSI, where at least I have the THINK a little, or such mindless drivel as Survivor, Bachelor, and such, I'm not in the least ashamed about my viewing habits.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CSI for me is in-depth scientific investigation because i like science.

just like what you like, its difficult to be enlightened if you have a close mind or sort of. anyway, opinions are meant to be discussed and in a way debated. that's the beauty of it.

Well, I have worked for a forensics lab and I can tell you that CSI is not a documentary by any means!

I don't think it's a closed mind to ask why there is such a fascination with crime, especially crime of a sexual nature that many of these shows now seem to gravitate toward. Even Law & Order (and I enjoyed that ocassionaly in the early days) has a spin-off that is very charged in sexual violence.

My girlfriend watches Six Feet Under and I know she would never go with me to a real Funeral Parlor. Not places I care to be either!

I remember when Schindler's List was on network TV without being edited. The cries of protest came from people who were offended by the nudity being shown and not by the depiction of people being exterminated by the Nazis!

Can people really think like that? I'd rather my children see a boob or a butt than a gunshot to the head, a woman raped, or somone being stuffed into an oven. The human body is nothing to be ashamed of, but acts of violence certainly are.

Steve

PS - I don't think anyone should be ashamed for what they watch. My curiosity is in why they watch it. I watched some horrible shows. Land of the Lost is still a favorite of mine and I used to love Dukes of Hazzard and the A Team!
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please enlighten me. Why do people like these shows so much? Is it the violence, or maybe the elements of sexual devience?

Steve

For me, I watch it out of plain curiosity and wonder on how they use scientific methods short of making like Sherlock Holmes in solving crimes.

Like the others, I do abhor those gory scenes. But my scientific curiosity gets the better of me (even though it's not a documentary) but the show does its best to be as authentic as they possibly can.