TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Reality TV -- Too Much!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:55 PM UTC
Man, this reality TV thing is getting old.

I saw an ad for a Fox show about some ugly women that get extreme makeovers so they can compete in a beauty pagent! Sad. People really want to waste precious time watching this crap?

And the Learning Channel is mostly reality shows nowadays. American Choppers is kinda neat, now they have American Hot Rod and American Beatuy Parlor? Plus all that garbage where someone cries because they get their kitchen redone - get a grip!

Even Sci Fi, Animal Planet, and ESPN have reality shows!

They now have network daytime reality shows that are kind of like soap operas where women deal with their 'issues'.

OK, I'll admit I watched the first Survivor series and part of the 2nd one too. They were fun for a bit, but don't these things get old. Where do they even find the people for these things?

I think we have all gone soft in the head. Ah yes, the end of Western Civilization! Let's enjoy the ride! #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we have all gone soft in the head. Ah yes, the end of Western Civilization!

I think the one that really put us over the top was the show about "little people" dating. I'm not even sure of the name of it.

Thank goodness for Satellite. As you say even Sci Fi, Animal Planet, and ESPN have reality shows but if nothing else you can usually find Law and Order, M.A.S.H, I Love Lucy, or Cheers playing somewhere.
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC
As for me...can't stand reality tv shows.....what people see in watching for example, somebody washing pots beats me. Don't like soaps either.

When I watch tv I want to be entertained, informed or educated, not reminded of what my neighbour might or might not be doing.

Ah well....
Cheers
Peter

:-)
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
How about "Boot Camp" that the History Channel ran? What a bunch of whiners!
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
Are we appoaching the days like in "The Running Man"? Prisoners being used to entertain the masses? All "reality" TV is trash!

Have not found one that I can say is redeeming
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
Well, friends and neighbors, I don't get it either. I can enjoy things like Am. Chopper and Cops, and Animal Precinct, but the Survivor clones drive me nuts! Guess it's a whole lot cheaper offering a single million dollar check and the chance ot get in a hot tub with a babe than paying someone to try to write a real script and paying people to study the lines and deliver them with some semblance of acting talent.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
I also agree reality tv shows are the wost.
they should be taken off the air, even
that dumb reality tv show that u vote people off the island,
they should have a reality show about the army or the war in iraq
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
for the most part i agree with you all,but i do like the S.A.S ones.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:22 PM UTC
I agree also, everytime you watch the TV, "Marry my dad 4" or "WHO wants to marry me".

Why dont they do a show called "Who cares!"

~Chip :-)
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:40 PM UTC
I'm just hoping that people don't think the reality IS reality. If people really act like they do on these shows, I'm moving to Antarctica.

Yes, at least on American Chopper you might learn something. The only thing you can learn on Who Want's to Marry a Millionare is how to get ill! #:-)

They did have a military reality show. It was called Combat Missions, I think, and was OK but mostly silly.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
What we need is the ultimate Survivor SURVIVOR: LORD OF THE FLIES ..no camera crews, just prepositioned remotes. No food , no crews , no voting off, no prebuilt shelters. Each participant is given a sharp Rambo style knife and dropped on the island. There are more advanced weapons hidden on the island. Also a few hungry carniverous animals (++) . You get to stay there for a year or two. Whoever's left at the end SHARE a ton of money. #:-)
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

no camera crews, just prepositioned remotes. No food , no crews , no voting off, no prebuilt shelters.

No, they should have a Predator drone circling the area in case anyone tries to leave early!
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
Of course, I use the one powerful tool I have in my control...the remote. Just stop watching.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:47 AM UTC
Next to pro wrestling, I also don't like most of those reality TV shows (except maybe for Combat Missions and Fight School). I also find the Amazing Race somewhat tolerable.

Most of the stuff they show here (Survivor, Joe Milliionaire, Love Shack, For Love or Money) are more like game shows-cum-soap operas since there are prizes at stake. I find it sickening what people will do to get the prize. They don't seem to teach positive values like cooperation or working together to cope with problems. For the last three, I'd rather watch the Dating Game. As for Survivor, they ought to can it for not teaching the right values.

For me, American Idol (though we do have local versions of the show) is much more palatable to watch.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of the stuff they show here ...

I find it sickening what people will do to get the prize. They don't seem to teach positive values like cooperation or working together to cope with problems.

Yeah, that's the sad part. People all over the world watch this and think Americans are all jackasses! Certainly the people on our televisions are!