_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hoarder?
redsoldat
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:51 PM UTC
I came to this site while looking for prices for the models I was selling off. Now after x amount of years I am buying models again..1 ACAM M113, a Ba10 from EE, A T28 from ICM, and now a T34/85 from DML. Haven't built a one, just bought like five PE kits for the 113-Does this make me a hoarder?
First it started with a TAM 113 I had from the 70's. Figured I would slap that together to get back into the swing...Well I drove 113s for a while so next came the "Wow this is wrong, and where is that, and on..." Til I realized I couldn't just slap this together. So one day I see a Ba10 armor car. Then after I buy it I look it up and wow, you have to do this and that and the other..The T28 is a diorama idea so that goes down the pit, along with the BA10. Then at last I see a T34/85 (So far I have bought two Red Army AFVs and one US) and at last I have my "Just slap it together, paint it, and call it done". A simple T34/85 with AT screens, then I start to look stuff up.... And then I see a KV2...
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:18 PM UTC
it's not 'hoarding', it's 'collecting'.
there is nothing wrong with collecting things. lots of people collect bottles, buttons, coins, sea shells, farm implements, etc etc.
collecting model kits is a fun hobby related to building model kits,so enjoy them both ways.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 11:15 PM UTC
I prefer to call it "herding" — just doing my part to move product off of distribution shelves and into my stash! 📦
In all honesty, I try to maintain a sort of mental redline so that stash growth doesn't overly exceed build rate.

Anyway ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

—mike
redsoldat
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 01:51 AM UTC
I think that mental redline is the key to keeping a proper perspective on what you want vs what you can do. At this point I am keeping away from aircraft-that would just get too insane. I visited the Wingnuts site,
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/
man, if that had been around when I was modeling back in the dayz, I would be living in a polystyrene landfill right now.
 _GOTOTOP