TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
i didnt like ROTK
blah
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:31 PM UTC
so, i saw it the day it came out, like 2 weeks ago. the only two things i wanted to see from the book werent even in the goddam movie. they better be on the dvd. everone i know loved it, but they hadent read the books
newtothegame
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 588 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:47 PM UTC
What were the two things you wanted to see?

It wasn't perfect, and throughout the trilogy there were times that I was pissed about changes that PJ made, but I tried to remember it is not the book and a separate form of entertainment. The only thing that I find sad is the people who will never read the book and believe they know the whole story; oh well they probably wouldn't have read the book anyway and as a school librarian I see many students checking out the books that otherwise wouldn't have. :-) So on the whole I thought all 3 LOTR movies were a positive.
blah
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
the thing i wanted to see the most was sam going into a rage. i remember that he did a lot more ass kicking in the book. in the movie it looked like shelob was kicking his ass, i remember him killing shelob in like two sentences in the book, and him describing how sam got sprayed with blood. also when sam got frodo out of the tower, i didnt like how the orcs killed each other, cause it was really sam killing them in the book.

2.) when they went back to the shire and found saruman and slithertounge(spelling?) had corrupted it, and then that whole thing
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:02 PM UTC
I am actually reading Master and Commander (about 70% thru) and if you think they made a lot of changes to LOTR... LOL!

Jim
blah
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
some people i know went and saw that the other day, i didnt go cause it didnt look that good, and from what ive heard it was boring, whats the book/movie about?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:17 PM UTC
Oh the movie is very good. The best sea-faring movie I have ever seen. But it's not really like the book. The two just feel different. That's kind of the way I feel about LOTR the book vs. the movie. One feels like a long saga that has been running for 8000 years. The other is more like a couple of months of adventures. Jackson captured the visuals and even the characters, but he didn't capture (totally) the feeling of middle-earth as a living, breathing thing. How can you leave out Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Wight, the Trolls, and the Battle for the Shire and really have captured the feeling of the book?

I still think they are great movies. I just will always see them as a great attempt at doing LOTR. And perhaps they will be the best version ever made.

Cheers,
Jim
blah
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh the movie is very good. The best sea-faring movie I have ever seen. But it's not really like the book. The two just feel different. That's kind of the way I feel about LOTR the book vs. the movie. One feels like a long saga that has been running for 8000 years. The other is more like a couple of months of adventures. Jackson captured the visuals and even the characters, but he didn't capture (totally) the feeling of middle-earth as a living, breathing thing. How can you leave out Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Wight, the Trolls, and the Battle for the Shire and really have captured the feeling of the book?

I still think they are great movies. I just will always see them as a great attempt at doing LOTR. And perhaps they will be the best version ever made.

Cheers,
Jim

wasnt tom bombodil only in the hobbit?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No. There is a whole Bombodil chapter in FOTR. Have you read the books?

Yes, the scouring of the Shire was something that should have made it into the film. It wasn't even filmed, so I don't thik it will be in the extended DVD. Too bad.

It would have been nice to see Wormtounge kill Saruman and then the Hobbits kill him. Oh well.

Steve
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:24 PM UTC
Jim, just so you're know Master and Commander, the movie, isn't based on M&C the book. It's based on a later book in the series, number 6 I think, To the Ends of the Earth. There are a couple things from the first book in the movie, but not much.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 10:44 PM UTC
one thing that will definately be in the extended version is the watchers at the gates of the orc watch tower, it showed them for a brief second, then sam just ran in, so its obvious the filmed them.

sam didnt kill shelob in the bok, it happened pretty much the same as portralyed in the film,

the orcs did kill each other, they were fighting over the mithril vest, half of them were morgul orcs and the others mordor orcs, they are very tribal, so they killed each other, sam only killed one or two, and one ran away, so its pretty accurate there too

the battle of the shire would have been good, but its not too big a deal that it wasnt left in,
peter jackson did an incredible job of recreating middle earth. its impossible to do it exactly the same as the book, and unrealistic to think so.

ive been a lifetime fan of middle earth, ever since my mum used to read LOTR to me as a bedtime story when i was a tot, but im deeply impressed by the films and dont think anyone could do much better

cheers

joe

Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:59 AM UTC
I have read the books and watched all the films. It is a wonderful story, pulls you in and keeps you there. I feel that given the constraints that a movie maker works under the trilogy was very well done.
blah
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, the scouring of the Shire was something that should have made it into the film. It wasn't even filmed, so I don't thik it will be in the extended DVD. Too bad.

It would have been nice to see Wormtounge kill Saruman and then the Hobbits kill him. Oh well.

Steve

i guess i just dont remember it, im goin to read them again soon anyway
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:20 AM UTC
There is no way to put all of the books into a movie - even 3 movies. Something got to give. Jackson was masterful in giving us Middle Earth in a forum that's not a computer animated form.

I just watched ROTK with my son we were blown away.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Steve

i guess i just dont remember it, im goin to read them again soon anyway

hehe, pretty big chapter to forget... rambled on for like ages, I actually don't much like Tom, would much prefer the end of the book the shire part more.
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How can you leave out Tom Bombadil, the Barrow Wight, the Trolls, and the Battle for the Shire and really have captured the feeling of the book?

Including all those elements would've made the movies too long for the average person to want to sit through (even though LOTR "nerds" like me would've loved it #:-) ). The most successful of the Trek films pulled in a lot more audience than just the Trekkies and Trekkers.

Quoted Text

Agreed.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:50 PM UTC
Staff_Jim: The movie "Master and Commander" is (I think you know this already) a combination of two books - "Master and Commander" and "The Far Side of The World", hence the movie's long title. From what I've read from online reviews, yes, the movie was quite different from the book (IIRC, in "Master", the enemy was French, but in "The Far Side of the World", the enemy is American - put the two, and you get an American frigate crewed by the French - like the movie. ) Haven't read the books (damn rare here ) but I liked the movie - and those who've read the books liked the film too (except some of the purists I think).

Blah: With regard to the "Scouring of the Shire" part, putting it in the movie would make spoil the "grand ending", which is the destruction of the ring. Putting the Scouring as the end is anti-climactic. IIRC, I read somewhere that there were no scenes shot for the Scouring at all (although there were scenes of Saruman that were edited out of the theatrical release), so don't expect it at the DVD extended edition. FWIW, I heard/read that the original cut made the movie four hours and 30 minutes but this was paired down to the current length of 3 hours and a half.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:38 AM UTC
I saw it last night,I loved it and ive read that tome seven times iknow it nearly word perfect, yes lots of changes but i think they handled it well, i personnaly would like to have seen more of Galadriel and her Importance to the yarn. but we could go on for ever.Enjoy it because next year there wont be a new Lord of the Rings to look forward to :-) Hey I hear their going to tackle the Hobbit.