_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Recently bit by the armor bug.
RickB464
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi Guys and greetings from Southern California USA. I've been a aircraft modeller for 30+ years. I recently built an old Dragon Sd.Kfz 141/3 Flammpanzer III that I had in my stash, just to break the monotony. I thoroughly enjoyed it! To the point I'm considering converting to armor. I have lots of questions. So Please be patient with the new guy. One question to start with. Armored vehicles have a totally different anatomy and nomenclature that I am woefully ignorant of. Can any of you gents point me to a link or source that can explain these alien terms to me.

TIA,
Rick
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Richard, welcome to armor modeling. It is all kinds of fun and there are so many interesting kits available. A quick start for you would be to do a generic search online-tank nomenclature. It will bring up lots of sites and images. For more specific vehicles you can look for a detailed review as some will name the various parts, or search the actual item. There are a number of reference books for specific vehicles as well.

Ask all the questions you want. There are many here to help with answers.

Here is a basic overview of a sample Japanese type 95 ha go.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/handbook-japanese-military/pics/239a-model-95-japanese-tank.jpg
RickB464
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:46 AM UTC
Thank you very much, Russ! That's exactly the stuff I'm looking for. The different names of the suspension parts were particularly confusing. Now I just have to learn German so I can figure out all those abbreviations If you ever need to know what an oleo strut or a fowler flap is drop me a line
Thanks
Rick
 _GOTOTOP