TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Your Favorite War Movie
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Das Boot

Original German mini series....over 6 hours long!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 05:58 AM UTC
I would love to see the German movie that came out about the SMS Emden in 2012.Anybody see this and know where it's available,hopefully with at least English subtitles ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808067/
aroberts
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC
Battle of Britain for me definitely. Classic.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:28 AM UTC
Found another good one. Flyboys is about an American pilot flying for the French, during WWI.
ModernArmorGirl
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 03:34 PM UTC
Definitely "A Bridge Too Far" and "Tora Tora Tora"
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:03 AM UTC
What about a Hill in Korea or Porkchop Hill or another Korean war film called The Steel Helmet ( saw this on TCM recently)it is mainley shot in the studio
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart, Peckinpaugh's Cross of Iron, 12 O'clock High, Bridge Too Far, Battle of Britain, The 663 Sqadron. Lots of Airforce movies but I like building armor. Go figure.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC
Lots of good ones in this list, but here's some of my favorites:

* Battleground (Van Johnson movie - not a "good" movie, but one I never pass by when it's on TV. Lots of fun)

* Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers/The Pacific (no list is complete without them)

* Memphis Belle

* Boy in the Striped Pajamas

* The Counterfeiters

* Lore

I've not yet seen it (downloading as we speak), but there's a new mini-series called "Generation War" about WWII Germany that's gotten really good reviews.
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 493 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 01:15 PM UTC
Oh, and I forgot:

* Saints and Soliders
* Into the white
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 08:09 PM UTC
And no one mentioned "The Longest Day"? First war movie I really remember.

But my favoride one is Black Hawk Down
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
I agree with Jake...no list is complete without Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers.

Otherwise, 12-O'clock High.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC
Anyone ever see "Stalingrad; dogs, do you want to live forever?" German film made in the 50's. Just saw it on youtube.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone ever see "Stalingrad; dogs, do you want to live forever?" German film made in the 50's. Just saw it on youtube.

I have seen the new "Stalingrad" on Netflic, but have yet to watch it. Do you know if it is a remake or a completely different movie?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have seen the new "Stalingrad" on Netflic, but have yet to watch it. Do you know if it is a remake or a completely different movie?

I was going to say about this Russian 'Stalingrad' myself as I have been watching it. I don't have Netflix so I bought it. Problem was it was dubbed- and I hate that- why couldn't they just have left the original Russian and give us subtitles? Well, turns out they did give it as an option but its not the default one so you have to fiddle in the disc menu- change the master audio to Russian and then switch on subtitles- that sorts it. Not sure how you would do it on Netflix though. I'm half-way through it and its a solid war-movie- I don't reckon its massively realistic but it has some fantastic action scenes and decent acting.

There was also another 'Stalingrad', from 1993. I've heard good things about it but I've never seen it. I think it might have been a German production.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was going to say about this Russian 'Stalingrad' myself as I have been watching it. I don't have Netflix so I bought it. Problem was it was dubbed- and I hate that- why couldn't they just have left the original Russian and give us subtitles? Well, turns out they did give it as an option but its not the default one so you have to fiddle in the disc menu- change the master audio to Russian and then switch on subtitles- that sorts it. Not sure how you would do it on Netflix though. I'm half-way through it and its a solid war-movie- I don't reckon its massively realistic but it has some fantastic action scenes and decent acting.

There was also another 'Stalingrad', from 1993. I've heard good things about it but I've never seen it. I think it might have been a German production.

My understanding is that it is in German. I'm not sure how much of it is a war movie, as opposed to what the civilians went through.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC
Which one is in German? I think the 1993 one is yeah, like I said though I've not seen it.
The more recent one I'm watching is in Russian mostly with bits of German when it is focusing on their characters. There's civilians in it too- one of the central characters in fact, is a civilian.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
Cross of Iron
The Odd Angry Shot
Breaker Morant

In that order.

The Battle of Algiers would rate up there, too, in my top five.

All ring true.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 02:05 PM UTC
I've watched most of the aforementioned films/series -- haven't seen 'Stalingrad' yet. So difficult to choose just one ... maybe 'Sahara' or 'The Bridge on the River Kwai' ... ??? ... 'The Pacific' is way up there.

I'm just gonna' throw some more "must see" films into the pot:

'Schindler's List'
'Apocalypse Now'
'The Deer Hunter'
'We Were Soldiers'
'The Boys in Company C'
'Act of Valor'
'Lord of War'
'Red Tails'
'War Horse'
supplyssg
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
Same here...seen most all of them old and new and own a fair amount of them on DVD.

Must say my all time favorite would have to be "Das Boot". Saw that one back in the late 70's at the theaters and went back to see it several more times! Been fascinated with U-Boats ever since.

Would probably second that with "El Alamein - The Line of Fire" an Italian film by Enzo Monteleone about an Italian infantry unit fending for themselves at the forgotten southern line of defense at El Alamein. Not a lot of actual combat action scenes but thought provoking none the less with a haunting soundtrack.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 06:05 AM UTC
The 1993 German Stalingrad was indeed very good,this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/

Red Tails......yuk didnt like it

Check out the Finnish movie "The Winter War,pretty good
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Must say my all time favorite would have to be "Das Boot". Saw that one back in the late 70's at the theaters and went back to see it several more times! Been fascinated with U-Boats ever since.

Agreed: "Alarm!!! ... Alarm!!! ... !!!"

Years ago, I read a small review about 'Apocalypse Now.' I thought: Eh, a Viet Nam movie; maybe I'll catch it when it comes out. When it eventually debuted at my local theater, I caught a matinee. The room was empty -- just me and three other guys. ... I'll never forget that opening helicopter scene accompanied by The Doors' 'The End' soundtrack -- my most memorable big-screen experience, ever! I really wish movie theaters would bring many of these classic films back to life on the big screen.

A few more:

'Casablanca'
'Life is Beautiful'
'Letters from Iwo Jima'

--mike
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 107 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
"The Cruel Sea". Both the movie and the book.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
So if no one else is doing just one,
Private Ryan
Dirty Dozen
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Blackhawk Down.

Mike
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
9th Company: a Russian film about Soviet paratroopers in Afghanistan. Really stark and well done.
Hamburger Hill
Sahara (both versions)
Talisvota: Winter War
Men of the Yamato: recent Japanese movie about service on board IJN Yamato to its sinking. Great graphic scenes of what strafing US Hellcats do to a ship.
Liberation: Russian miniseries covering Kursk to the Battle of Berlin. Footage from this shows up a lot in WWII documentaries as wartime footage.

All time favorite: Waterloo Sergei Bondarchuk's wonderful epic of Napoleon's last battle
ljames0874
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 408 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd have to go with Battle of Britain, A Bridge too far, Zulu, Zulu Dawn (more accurate than Zulu), Waterloo, Charge of the Light Brigade (1968 Trevor Howard David Hemmings version), Gettysburg and Gods & Generals.

I'm going to have to update my list of favourites. I just got around to watching Flags of our Fathers last night (been on the shelf for a couple of years) and really enjoyed it - the battle scenes are as good as the opening of Saving Private Ryan. Clint Eastwood really showed the difference between the soldier's experience of war, and the way that the media mythologise and glamorise what is essentially a grim, sordid business. I also have the companion piece to "Flags" to watch, ie Letters from Iwo Jima, which I gather is better than "Flags". Also, I must add "Das Boot" to my list - was the sheer terror of submarine warfare ever better portrayed? I doubt it!