TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite Actor?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:59 PM UTC
This might have been done to death but I haven't seen it brought up. Who's your favorite actor? For me it's Jimmy Stewart. I can watch any movie of his, any time, anywhere. Just ask my wife. I just caught part of The Spirit of St Louis on the tube. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it but anytime it's on I have to be doing something important to miss it. One scene stands out for me. Stewart, as Lindburgh, eats a sandwich. The way he holds his hands, and the sheer joy he takes in eating that sandwich is so believeable to me that it marks the sign of a truly great actor.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:09 PM UTC
Chris Walken, the movies hes in usually require a little use of the brain to enjoy, and my other all time actor is Chris Farley.

~Chip :-)
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
I have a few favourites but for sheer presence I would nominate Oliver Reed. There was something about him, when everyone else would raise their voice to make a line more pronounced he did it by lowering his voice. When I think of his acting talent it is a shame he did not achieve more.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
From the past probably Steve McQueen. Presently probably Mel Gibson.

HastyP
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi, Personally speaking I really couldn't limit it to just one, as it would depend on how good the actor was at portraying the various characters in his movies. Top of the list would have to be Clint Eastwood, in all his westerns; John Wayne-again, the westerns, Earl Flynn, for his old pirate movies; Peter Sellers for his Pink Panther series of movies; then I can think of Charles Bronson, James Caan, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, Richard Burton, and Maximilian Schell. And this is just off the top of my head.

Take care, sgrity
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
For real acting, it's a toss up between Jack Nicholson, Mel Gibson and Clint Eastwood. For sheer quotability, Ahnold. From the past, Peter Sellers for his great work as Inspecteur Clousseau and his hat trick of characters in Dr. Strangelove.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
I'm floored that no one metioned Humphrey Bogart. Considered one of the greatest actors ever. Casablanca is considered by most one of the greatest movies of all times. Then there is the Maltese Falcon, the Caine Mutiny, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Key Largo, Sabrina and of course the African Queen. (notice, none of those have a part 2 or part 3 behind them...only one was remade) I also love John Wayne and Clark Gable. Newer actors like Pacino, Deniro, Sam Elliot, Dustin Hoffman, and Tom Hanks. I think TomCruise is getting quite good to be mentioned with this August body too.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:00 PM UTC
Don't forget Sahara for Bogey's list! That was an all time great flick!

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:42 PM UTC
Good for you Chip, I was scared when you went for Chris Farley. Sahara is not one of Bogie's better known films, but it does showcase his acting skills. You ought to check out some of his early work from the 30's, he was one great gangster..played with George Raft, Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney a lot back then. To Have and Have Not and Passage to Marsellis are 2 more of his WW2 movies. He didn't win the war unlike John Wayne
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
I think you guys have shown the real difference with the great actors from the past such as Bogart compared to today's stars. Back then they were renown for their acting ability, nowadays it seems they are more likely to be famous for being in a blockbuster film. Schwarzenneger is a perfect example.
Another great film actor would have to be Laurence Olivier. I once read a story about when filming the famous dental torture scene with Dustin Hoffman for Marathon Man. Reputedly Hoffman put himself through a tough regime [to enable him to come across as suffering] for the scene. Olivier simply said "Try acting it instead."
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:58 AM UTC
Ray Liotta and Gary Sinese - two great actors in my opinion.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, Tara Reid can just look blankly at a camera for half an hour and that'd still be great with me

Peter
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
Many actors are best remember for their body of work or role they played. For me the "best" are:

John Wayne - Nathan Brittles, Ethan Edwards, Rooster Cogburn, John Bernard Books
Charlton Heston - Moses, Ben Hur, El Cid
George C Scott - George S Patton Jr.
Russell Crow - Maximus
Gregory Peck - Captain Haratio Hornblower
Humprey Bogart - Rick
Tom Hanks - Captain Miller
Harrison Ford - Indianna Jones
ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER - Terminator, Gov. of Kalifornia
That's all for now...