_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from Johannesburg
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hello friends.

So I have recently become fascinated by the great dreadnought's of world war II. I'm also brand new to Maritime modelling. (I predominantly build armor). I remember having a crack at ship when I was about 8 and made a complete botch up of the kit.

So what are the popular scales, who makes the best kit's?

Cheers
Jonathan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hello Jonathan, The most popular scales for ships are 1/700 and 1/350. If you like building behemoths, there are several kits in 1/200. The carrier USS Hornet, and the battleships DKM Bismarck, USS Arizona, and USS Missouri are currently available in that scale, with HMS Hood and USS Iowa due out later this year. There are several manufacturers and you'll get a lot of opinions about who's best. It really comes down to subject matter and price. Tamiya makes really good kits but they are a bit pricey and somewhat limited in subject matter. There is also Hasegawa, Trumpeter, and Academy. They all have good points and bad. There are also several resin manufacturers who carry some of the more esoteric subjects not yet available in plastic. You can probably find a review of any kit that's out there, either on this site or one of the others that cater to shipbuilders. Al
slickleg
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 51 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 10:36 PM UTC
Cheers Taffy
 _GOTOTOP