_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Trains to Panzers
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
HI, my name is Bill, and I am trying to get back into the hobby again. I built quite a few models when I was a teenager, mostly airplanes, but some tanks. For fifteen years or so, I was into model railroading, but my involvement in that ended about a decade ago. So, I haven’t picked up my airbrush in ten years (I wonder if I can find it?). I have always been interested in armor, especially WWII German armor. That is the route I have decided to go to get back into modeling. Modeling tanks and trains have a lot in common. They both put a premium on weathering and detailing. I do believe 1/35 will be easier to work in than HO (1/87). Maybe a tank model will be big enough that I can see it with my middle aged eyes.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
Bill

Welcome aboard, and I sort of took the same path, was out of modeling for many years, got back into it through model trains. All of the same principals still apply, so no worries. As for age and the eyes, I went to the dollar store and picked up a cheap set of magnifying eye glasses for the modeling desk, they work wonders.

Kevin
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 12:28 PM UTC
Welcome to the site, Bill. You sound like a lot of us here, coming back after several years away. Something about training up a youth in the path he should take, and when he is older he will return to it. I second the cheap reading glasses. I also have a magnifying lamp.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 02:44 AM UTC
YAY!!! Another panzer guy. Welcome to the site. You have picked a great subject to practice on.
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
Just to echo Kevin's suggestion. I'm a mere 28 and use those glasses for modelling. They're brilliant. Compounded with the magnifying lamp I can practically see through time!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:54 AM UTC
Something I have considered is, using the type of glasses dentists do. They aren't cheap, but you can see into alternet dimensions with them.
 _GOTOTOP