TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Master and Commander
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
"Master and Commander" hits the big screen this Friday night. You know I'll be there!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
There was a half hour special on HBO last night about the making of the movie. I wanted to see it before seeing this special, now I HAVE to see it. I'm about two thirds of the way through the first book in the series, Master and Commander, though I understand this movie is based on a later book.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 12:02 PM UTC
Never read the book, but as someone who loved all the Erroll Flynn pirate movies, this is one of those want to see. I sure hope it is still running at Christmasget someone in the family to go with me then.
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 100 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:06 PM UTC
Saw it opening night... Not a bad movie per say... A bit dull and dry in places. Action was fairly limited. Nothing really shocking in the movie.

I'd say its a renter...
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw it opening night... Not a bad movie per say... A bit dull and dry in places. Action was fairly limited. Nothing really shocking in the movie.

I'd say its a renter...

Don't miss the chance to see this on the big screen! This is a very well done film and is not your typical 'dumbed down' Hollywood tripe.

There are some liberties taken in regards to the novels, but that's to be expected. One difference may be real big. Considering the politics of today, it's understandable.

Really, it's very good, never dull, and a man's man movie. No, there are no laser guns, huge gasoline explosions, or a romance for the 15 year old female crowd.

It's a movie that seems to capture the essence of the novels and the spirit of the Iron Men and Wooden Ships.

Heck, there was even applause when the credits rolled.

If you find this boring, check your pulse!

Steve

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A bit dull and dry in places. Action was fairly limited.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the first book, Master and Commander, and that pretty much describes it. If you're looking for a Captain Horathio Hornblower, Ramage, Bolitho, or any of the other half dozen 18th century naval heroes out there, this isn't it. It DOES give one a very good sense of life in those days. I notice how so many critics of the movie have mentioned the young boys on board, as if this was something uncommon, far from it.

I hope to see the movie either this Tuesday or next. I'll probably have to see it alone as I'm sure my wife, who is NOT a Russel Crowe fan, won't want to see it.

PfcGreen
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 103 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:54 PM UTC
Definitly agree with Sniper...see this on the big screen.