_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Upstate NY Newbie!
AgentBoost
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi there guys!

really excited to be a part of this group of extremely talented builders. it seems that everytime i see a build that i think to myself "That is the best i've ever seen," one of you goes and completely blows my mind with an even BETTER build.

about me - 31 years old. as an adolescent i was always attracted to WWII armor, on a whim i did a search for a modeling forum and boy did i hit the mother load with this group! i never thought it would be so popular! i've got two young boys (age 3months and another 4 years), so my modeling time is extremely limited - but i can't wait to get back into it. I used to have all sorts of WWII birds hanging from fishing line in my bedroom that i built, but now i'm ready to really get into the details and can't wait to build my first Diorama!

I'll admit, i feel completely overwhelmed and i'm just trying to soak up all the skill you guys have. Soon i'll get the courage to post up a build i'm working on. but for now, i'll remain in the shadows and work to perfect my abilities.

cheers!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 08:09 AM UTC
Welcome aboard. Don't be shy. You can show photos of your work, ask for advice and get all kinds of pointers. What I like about this site is how much help is available.
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hey Tim..welcome to Armorama!! What area of NY ya from..I'm from Syracuse

Jeff
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 10:39 PM UTC
Welcome!!!! I'm from Western NY.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard. Don't be shy. You can show photos of your work, ask for advice and get all kinds of pointers. What I like about this site is how much help is available.

Welcome aboard, and I second what Russ says, there is always some helpful pointers to be found here.
AgentBoost
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 01:37 AM UTC
Gents,

From Rochester, NY.

Ive been looking for step by step (SBS) / how-to's for various painting techniques. (if anyone has good links/youtube vids please feel free to share!

Also, can anyone reccomend a good place to pick up my first 1/35th scale model? either online or local? i mean we have Hobby lobby and the like here, but imagine i'll have to look online?

secondly - can anyone list out the "necessities" that a first time model builder should pick up? staple type items?
Hangelafette
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 344 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 01:36 PM UTC
Welcome Tim,

I'm originally from Potsdam, NY so I stopped at some Hobby Shops along Rte 81 during my last visit. It would be a long drive but Walt's Hobby Inc in Syracuse had a decent armor selection and a great selection of paint and supplies.

There are plenty of good online stores, my favorite US retailers are Sprue Brothers, Scale Hobbyist and Squadron. If you take a liking to Dragon kits, check out DragonUSAonline. You can also try E-bay or the Armorama trading forum. There are plenty of good traders and good deals here. The Missing-lynx forum's private sellers group is another good one.

Nate
 _GOTOTOP