_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hi from sunny Houston
Houston_Brit
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hello folks,

New(ish) member introducing myself.

I'm an Englishman living just north of Houston TX. I work for an In Flight Entertainment company and I'm currently seconded to Continental Airlines hence my location. Prior to that i was in North Carolina for a year and before i moved over here i was working at Manchester airport (UK).

Whilst in the UK i used to run an online model shop - Military-Precision.com and i used to be a regular on ebay. I brought most of my stock over to the USA with me so now i am somewhat spoilt for choice as to what to build. Something that probably shows by the fact i have about 30 different kits on the go!

Moving to Houston has given me an additional problem because trying to airbrush in my garage with 90-100 degree heat is not working so well - suggestions would be appreciated!

I was a member here several years ago but work and moving to the US got the better of me. I wrote part of an article that i unfortunately never finished so i may just have to redo the whole thing (picture below) - https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/90863&page=1&ord=0

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me.

Lee
sacmankc135
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
Ya think it's hot now Brit, wait till July and August. Last year up here in Fort Worth we had 24 days of straight 100 degrees and above, but not to worry ole chap, it wasn't as bad as it was in 1980. 69 days 'straight' of a 100 or above. (and I'm not counting the humidity factor.) Oh; it gets hotter down there than here. LOL I was stationed at Mildenhall for a spell during by 30 years in SAC.
Houston_Brit
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hey Louis,

Yeah, I moved here last June so I know what its like - we had 3 months last year where i don't think it dropped below 90. Its been 94 today. I have my folks over from Yorkshire and they are dying in the heat

I used to go bowling at Mildenhall and then Bentwaters when i was in the RAF - good times

Cheers,

Lee
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hello from sunny Florida. Try making a leaner mix to airbrush in higher temperatures. You could also try setting up a portable air conditioner in your garage. Welcome back. Glad to have you.
sacmankc135
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 12:21 PM UTC
RAF ? KC-10's I was there for Eldorado Canyon in '86 Offloaded JP to fighters in 4 stages inbound and 2 out (thank you Spain and France!) 14 hours,5,500 Nm You'd think that SOB would have learned the first time. Well; ya can't fix stupid
Houston_Brit
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello from sunny Florida. Try making a leaner mix to airbrush in higher temperatures. You could also try setting up a portable air conditioner in your garage. Welcome back. Glad to have you.

Hi Matt, the portable AC unit could be an expensive way to go - its a pretty large garage with typically poor insulation. I do need to experiment with the mix a bit more but i'm wondering if its best to just build/hand paint in the summer months and save all my spray jobs for the winter.
Houston_Brit
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2011 - 02:03 PM UTC
I was at Wattisham when i used to visit Mildenhall and Bentwaters. I remember that night in '86 though from all the 111's flying over my house from Upper Hayford - i was still a kid then and lived in Oxfordshire.
subsea01
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hey Lee,
I know what you mean about airbrushing in the houston Weather, I am on the North West side of Houston (Cypress), I find it a little easier airbrushing at night when the Temp and Humidity drops (Sometime easier)
 _GOTOTOP