_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Just a Texan who's new to the hobby
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
I'm pretty green when it comes to the hobby, and have been trying to learn as much as I can over the past year or so. I'm pretty new to the whole community thing to, so feel free to give me any comments regarding anything you feel is appropriate.

I do need some help to get things going. I put in long hours doing auto restoration, among other intensive things, and I end up losing most of my steam by the end of the day, which needless to say makes it hard to focus on anything at the workbench. A little push from any of you guys would be much appreciated from time to time.

My current (and FIRST) project is a 1/35 Henschel Jagdtiger, which unfortunately has been collecting more dust than glue and paint.
If you all want, I can start build log and post build pics from this point on and collect feedback from you guys/gals.
Just let me know, looking forward to making some new friends on here
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
Welcome from Florida you will find a lot of inspiration here and good people just ask
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
Thanks Keeper, glad to meet you! Do you have any build logs going on?
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:13 PM UTC
what part of texas are you in?
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hi Jemery,
And a nice warm welcome from New York. I find that building model helps me de-stress from my the dull drums of everyday life. Join a campaign there lots of fun and plenty of people will give advice and help you along. I was in Texas once for business, San Antonio, its hot there

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 03:45 PM UTC
Hi Vance and Sal, oddly enough I'm from San Antonio myself and it is friggin hot here, even with the rain!

I to find the hobby relaxing for the most part, I just don't know what I'm doing half the time. But it's a blast learning about things.

I'm not sure what a campaign is, are they contests of some sort? If so I need to work on developing a skill set so I can build something decent in a timely manner
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 04:08 PM UTC
[quoteI'm not sure what a campaign is, are they contests of some sort? If so I need to work on developing a skill set so I can build something decent in a timely manner [/quote]

Its not a contest at all more of a group build. Everybody is building on their own but all on the same theme. Like on July 1 the Sherman campaign starts. During the time frame everyone will built a Sherman tank, any size, variation, country, markings, theater. What ever the modeler chooses as long as its a Sherman. You post in progress photos of your built and discuss what you are doing in the tread for the campaign. guys give you some feed back and you can make corrections. When you are finished you post a photo in the campaign gallery and at the end of the campaign, if you completed it you receive a campaign ribbon on your profile. But I will warn you now they are addicting
Just click on the campaign button above to see active one and whats on deck on the left hand side.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 04:31 PM UTC
Nice, I've been scoping them out briefly and they look to be engaging. I admit I could use a little addiction like this to help me out.

Honestly my biggest challenge is going to be painting on such a small scale with a little airbrush, I've never done it before.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 04:47 PM UTC
You will get use to it, and its not just a brush, I use toothpicks, pins, and q-tips as well. And I don't buy the expensive brushes. Also I find that for some if the finer stuff acrylic paint works better. I use cheap craft paint, none of my stuff is going into a museum
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 05:03 PM UTC
Lol, well I don't have great luck with craft paints, but I am going to try working with modeling acrylics. I'll have to try out the other items, though I'm not sure if I want to risk getting q-tip fibers stuck in my paint
SccccF
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 02:48 AM UTC
welcome, I just joined recently as well.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hey there, I can't believe how many people are joining this sight!
 _GOTOTOP