TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Gods and Generals
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 09:24 AM UTC
Just got the DVD of Gods and Generals today. Paid $15 for it so great deal. Still debating whether to watch it right off or save it till next week when my young nephew gets back from vacation. Trying to educate that guy is tough. Daddy is sports-a-holic Lawyer so the only way young Nick can get attention is to play on all the kiddie league teams. Have tried to interest him in model railroading, and model building. He thinks it's "really cool" but dad won't participate, so when I leave the kit gets put up and that's that. So, Nick does like history and had an interest in the Civil War so maybe I can get him to rekindle with this movie and "expert" commentary from Uncle Steve (master's in HIstory and Civil War reinactor). So after I view it I'll let you know, of course being a VMI man and TJ Jackson being the big focus what would you expect me to say
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
I just watched this a few days ago. The battle of Fredricksburg was very impressive. You really got a sense of where the term "thin blue line" came from. I was not a impressed with this story as I was with Gettysburg however. I liked the "all-one-battle" format of the first movie (based on the book "The Killer Angels"). Jeff has talent as a writer I am sure but trying to cover the whole first few years of the war was probably a little too bold. SImilarly the third movie in this eventual trilogy will cover from Gettysburg to the end of the war.

Cheers,
Jim
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
Howdy Blaster
I don't know if I would try and make a young nephew sit through GODS AND GENERALS. I Loved Gettysburg and in general like cival war films and docs but I couldn't even finish this one. I made myself watch until Jackson was killed but couldn't continue on. Maybe your expert commentarty can liven it up but in my opinion it wasn't near as good as Gettysburg. Maybe start him off with that. Good luck!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC
There is another thread in here somewhere about this very subject. I thought GAG was way slow. Tried to cover too much, maybe. Just my 2 cents.

Shaun
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:35 PM UTC
Ahhh the beauty of watching it on DVD, when it becomes teious, speed it up, my player goes to 32x. Sure cuts a movie down to size that way.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
I have yet to see it yet. What all does it cover other than Gettysburg; which in my opinion, and dont take it the wrong way, has been over-done too many times in hollywood.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:28 PM UTC
Zach, it is all the battes BEFORE Gettysburg from my understanding. There is one more in the planning which will cove rall the majors after Gettysburg. Of course these are all the "Eastern" battles. The Western theatre has been ignored Shiloh, Vicksburg, Nashville, Chickamauga, Chttanooga, Atlanta,etc