_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
From Sci-Fi and Fantasy to Scale Modelling
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Everyone

This is my first time to post in a Scale Model Forum and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the hobby and sharing my own work and projects with everyone else here.

A little about me, I have been building and painting model kits since my early teens. My first taste of models and figure painting came from Games Workshop and their Fantasy and Sci-Fi ranges of model kits and 28mm 'heroic' scale figures. When I was a Student I worked at a Games Workshop store and often branched out into other manufacturers brands in the sci-fi and fantasy settings. My work ranged from plastics through to white metals and Resin's.

Over the last year or two I started branching out into military scale models, starting off with 1:48 kits as this was closest to the scales I was used to with Fantasy figures. Recently I've taken the plunge into 1:35.

My main interests in Modelling has always been building, converting, and painting, and even when I worked at GW I was always much more interested in this than gaming. I especially like Dioramas and my last few Military model projects have been Dioramas with armour and figures.

My main interests are in Soviet armour, from WW2 through to Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union. Although I'd like to maybe try other things in the future such as British and US armour.

I've found that moving into Scale modelling has not only really helped develop my painting, but has also been very satisfying. Especially with my interest in History. Researching projects and learning about the engagements, equipment, and troops who fought has really added an extra dimension to my hobby that I'm really liking.

A lot of my blogs are on Fantasy and Sci-Fi modelling forums as thats my backgound, but guys there have finally convinced me to post in Scale Forums to get the opinions and feedback of experts in the field like yourselves. Like I said I've only just recently within the last year gotten into serious scale projects so some of my work maybe a little rough around the edges. Even so I hope everyone enjoys seeing the projects and any advice or feedback would be very warmly welcome, alot of things have been trial and error and self taught following books and Magazines such as Osprey and Xtreme Modelling publications.

Many thanks

Jon
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 02:54 PM UTC
Welcome aboard! I also enjoy both sci-fi and military. A good mix of the two is Bandai's line of 1/35th mecha/sdkfz kits. They have some pretty sweet motorbike and tank kits., they remind me of the old Nitto stuff. I am not sure what the term would be for this anime subculture, but it's pretty popular - even Gundam features German-style unifoms and battle flags. There is also a manga that used to be around called Panzergirls, it was these chicks in panzer outfits and those kitty-ear things zooming around in a Panzer IV!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi Jon,

Welcome to Kitmaker. That's quite the introduction - pleased to meet you I think you'll find yourself in good company here; many of us dabble in many genres. I have been known to model the odd Warhammer and 40K figure as a break from historically based models

Looking forward to seeing your work - and don't be shy to post your sci-fi and fantasy stuff on ModelGeek

Rudi
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
Welcome aboard. I started with painting figures as well. Scale modeling is a bit different but you will find this website and the people here very helpful.

Tony
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hey jon, welcome aboard.
Your like some of us who model alot of things...good for you!
Did you see HLJ has the dust models out again...I'd love the jagdluther except for that $116 price!{plus s/h}...the regualr luther looks nice too for a tad less{$106}
 _GOTOTOP