TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Star Wars: ATC the Novel
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hey YodaMan!

Did you buy and read the ATC novelization yet??? I got mine from amazon.com on Friday and read it over the weekend. MAN - all I can say at this point is if this movie is half as good as the book - it's gonna be killer! I didn't want to put it down - and only the POWER of a gun truck model could tear me away, briefly.

I didn't buy the soundtrack yet - the novel by R.A. Salvatore was so well written - I could hear the music as I read through the pages...

Count Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
Gunnie, I didn't get the novel yet. I'm gonna wait to see the movie to read the book.
I thought for sure you would have gotten the soundtrack first. As a matter of fact, leave the computer now and get the soundtrack! Be absolutely sure you listen to the very last track first thing. I was so surprised by what I heard I dropped the magazine I was reading!!! Go, get it now!!! :-) :-) :-)
(don't ya love Star Wars stuff???)

YodaMan
Is it May 16th yet?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie, I didn't get the novel yet. I'm gonna wait to see the movie to read the book.
I thought for sure you would have gotten the soundtrack first. As a matter of fact, leave the computer now and get the soundtrack! Be absolutely sure you listen to the very last track first thing. I was so surprised by what I heard I dropped the magazine I was reading!!! Go, get it now!!! :-) :-) :-)
(don't ya love Star Wars stuff???)

YodaMan
Is it May 16th yet?

Okay - I'll go out and get it - and I'll listen to the last track first. Wonder what's there?!?

I couldn't stand waiting - I always get the novelization before seeing the movie so that I understand what's going on. It also amuses me, when listening to the foul-breathed, 40-year old, goof-ball who sits behind you with a captive audience telling the "story" as the movie unfolds - but invariably gets it all wrong.

Yeah - I love Star Wars stuff...

Count Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
For me, the worst part of anticipation of the Star Wars movie is right after I get the soundtrack. I mean, there's just SO much about a story that the soundtrack itself can tell. I wonder what's going to happen in the movie when this track is palying in the backround. After reading what you said about the book, I'm practically out of my mind with anticipation for the movie.... I mean I want to know what happens but I just..... I wanna wait for the movie.... but I don't know if I can!!!
BTW, I also like track #3 as my second favorite. Electric guitars are cool!!!
For TPM, I was going to wait for the movie to see what was going to take place but..... my grandma came about two weeks before the movie opened and got me a Star Wars 18-month calendar from Sam's. There were beautiful pictures from the movie and text that described what was taking place in the picture. About 10 minutes after I got the calendar, I knew what was going to happen....

YodaMan
PS let me know which soundtrack cover you get
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC
The worst thing I ever did before seeing Return of the Jedi was to buy the Marvel comics adaptation and read it. Man...what a spoiler for seeing the movie. I am actually kind of peeved that Lucas does all this advanced selling of things before the movie comes out. Why keep the plot so secret when you are going to release the novelization 4 weeks before the film comes out?? argggg.....

Jim

PS: I'm trying not to look at the preview trailers too!
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hey GunTruck, I picked up both the Novel, and the Graphic Novel. I agree, If the movie is anything close to the novel my but ain't leaving the theater come May 16th!!! :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am actually kind of peeved that Lucas does all this advanced selling of things before the movie comes out. Why keep the plot so secret when you are going to release the novelization 4 weeks before the film comes out?? argggg.....

Just think, would you want to see the movie more if:
A) you had no idea what the story was about or what was going to happen
OR
B) you have seen just enough to know that the main characters are in danger, there is a huge clone army, and the existance of a mysterious 'Count Dooku'
I'll (wait.... just hearing a theme from TPM in track 10 of Episode II soundtrack... looking at track name.... WHAT?? What happens there???? Is it May 16th yet???!!! ) Anyway, as I was saying... I'll chose 'B' over 'A' anyday. I mean from what I know so far, ESB was way cooler than ANH (to me) and everything I've seen says ATC will be just... amazing... I'm looking forward to Attack of the Clones more than I ever was for TPM. It's just.... Arrrrghhh!!! I wanna see the movie!!!! (like you couldn't tell earlier :-) )

YodaMan
Wedge
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 24 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC
I buckled and read TESB a week before the movie came out. About halfway through the story, I realized that the girl kissing Han on the cover was Leia! I was so mad as I felt Luke deserved her so much more...now it seems funny, but back then I was really ticked off!

Now I will never rad a novelization before the movie comes out. In fact I never did get around to TPM.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC
Howdy Wedge! Welcome to the site. Should I call you Rogue Leader?
I don't really remember what I thought the first time I saw all the 'Classic' trilogy movies. I was too young back then. A New Hope was more than ten years old before I could understand what was happening when I watched the movie!!!

Quoted Text

Now I will never rad a novelization before the movie comes out. In fact I never did get around to TPM.

Do you mean you never got around to seeing TPM? Or you just never got around to reading the novelization? One of the reasons why I don't want to read the book is because I want to be surprised. I'm not one of those wierd 'anti-spoiler' types who boycott Star Wars Insider; I'll take all the pics, character info and previews I can find as long as it dosen't spoil the story. I was quite mad when I got the soundtrack for TPM (before the movie came out) and read the title for track #15; Qui-Gon's Noble End. That made me mad!!!

YodaMan
Look at the size of that thing!
Cut the chatter, Red 2
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
I feel the opposite of you Wedge (cool Handle there) - and I read all the novelizations before seeing the movie. It doesn't spoil a thing, it doesn't kill my desire to see the movie, and I'm even more pumped up when it comes out.

The novels are fun and allow the mind to paint pictures with the words. The movie paints a different picture and the feelings can be different from what you read and intrepreted in the text. It is the same with postings on a forum like this - one guy's idea of what makes an informative post is another guy's junk! Who's right and who's wrong? Neither. So, the novel and the movie compliment each other in the same way as different viewpoints and posts on a forum. Both make the experience richer.

I was simply stunned with some of the things I read in ATC - as being a RABID fan and knowledgable on the story I was thrilled that I had to unlearn what I had learned. Quite frankly, I think the frantic pace of the movie doesn't often lend well to that kind of revelation. My movie experience will be richer for having read the novel - before going through the doors and seeing the movie.

Count Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
Ok Gunnie, you've got a point. A couple of 'em actually. Geez, how does one possibly make the decision of reading the novel before the movie, or vice versa? Either way, I'm still seeing the movie seven times! (as I did with TPM)
What to do? What to do?
Well, I need something to keep me busy until my package from BearAir arrives......

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I need something to keep me busy until my package from BearAir arrives......

Well, you could always build another model

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 01:53 AM UTC
Well, I'm waiting for the airbrush so I can build a model that I would happily show to everyone on the site.....

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:19 PM UTC
Ok, like cooooool. Go to the Star Wars website now to see all the ATC TV commercials! Coooool. Oops, I already said that. There's twelve different commercials. I've watched them all. The one for the Clone Troopers is quite cool as is the one for Obi-Wan. See them all!!!(more than once)

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, like cooooool. Go to the Star Wars website now to see all the ATC TV commercials! Coooool. Oops, I already said that. There's twelve different commercials. I've watched them all. The one for the Clone Troopers is quite cool as is the one for Obi-Wan. See them all!!!(more than once)

YodaMan

:)

Gunnie
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

YodaMan

Nope...

I haven't seen a one since the early trailers. I don't want too. I am tired of seeing half the movie before I "see" the movie.

Jim
Surprised SWFan in Virginia
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 01:04 AM UTC
The TV spots are all 30 seconds long, so there's not a whole lot to them. Most of the footage used has already been seen in the theatrical previews. The previews with some new stuff are: (don't worry, nothing will be spoiled )
Jango Fett (cool capabilities he has)
Clone Army (new footage related to the clone army) This one's a must see!!!
Mace Windu (cool action footage)
War (really cool action footage)
Anyway, I think you get the point. Watch them or not, the movie is going to be awesome!!!

YodaMan
Ya-hoo!!! BearAir has shipped my airbrush!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 05:38 AM UTC
YM.
Not to belabor my point. I was floored when I looked at the new action figure of Yoda and he has a little yoda-sized light-saber. While I enjoied the moment in Wal-mart, I would have enjoyed it even more (and probably been even more pleased) if I had seen it first in the theater. Those are the kind of little spoilers I hate. And the Qui-Gon one you mentioned about the soundtrack REALLY ticked me off.

:)

Jim
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
..............waa, waa, what, ...Yoda has a little baby light-saberette?...

Oh THANKS, Jim!

Tread.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 07:35 AM UTC
Tread,
Lol...guess I should post a warning on this thread. SPOILERS AHEAD!

Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC
Yes, you've got a point. Seeing Yoda ignite his lightsaber in front of some foe on the big screen would've been more memorable than noticing a little plastic thing packaged with a tiny 3 inch figure.
By the way, I don't know who else is going to do this; I'm taking May 16th off... yup, to go see the movie. I figured early in the morning I'd check to see if there's a line, and if so I would arrive at the theater about two hours early. If there was no line, I'd still get there early. Of course I'm going to save all my ticket stubs. (anyone wanna see one of the seven I got from TPM? )
By the way; Gunnie, did you get the soundtrack yet? I think you won't be quite as surprised as I was to hear the last track, seeing as you've read the book.

YodaMan
Two weeks until the Attack!!! YAHOO!!!!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, you've got a point. Seeing Yoda ignite his lightsaber in front of some foe on the big screen would've been more memorable than noticing a little plastic thing packaged with a tiny 3 inch figure.
By the way, I don't know who else is going to do this; I'm taking May 16th off... yup, to go see the movie. I figured early in the morning I'd check to see if there's a line, and if so I would arrive at the theater about two hours early. If there was no line, I'd still get there early. Of course I'm going to save all my ticket stubs. (anyone wanna see one of the seven I got from TPM? )
By the way; Gunnie, did you get the soundtrack yet? I think you won't be quite as surprised as I was to hear the last track, seeing as you've read the book.

YodaMan
Two weeks until the Attack!!! YAHOO!!!!!

Not yet - really been swamped at work lately. I go home pretty toasted. I managed to get a little modeling time in - and visited the Forum briefly to answer a post from Tread.

Throat hurts too from watching the SHARKS MUNCH THE AVALANCHE last night I warned 'ya last week that there are Sharks in the playoff waters this year...

Gunnie

P.S. I probably could manage to take May 16th off for the premier, but don't think I will do so. I don't have to be the first in line to see it, on the first day. LucasFilm is gonna get enough of my money before this run is done...
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Throat hurts too from watching the SHARKS MUNCH THE AVALANCHE last night I warned 'ya last week that there are Sharks in the playoff waters this year...

Gunnie

Go Sharks!!! :-)

Oh yeah, can't wait to take my stepson to see AOTC.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
Definitely a must-see movie...like the rest of you, I'm getting antsy. I still remember my first viewing of the original Star Wars. A friend won free tickets to the sneak preview here in Portland, way back when I was in junior high. We had no clue what we were in for; after all--what could be better than Star Trek reruns? (For you youngsters, there wasn't anything else at the time...).
So the music begins, and those receding titles to set the story. And then, from somewhere ove my right shoulder, shoots the blockade runner and I think in my adolescent brain "Cool special effects model, great textures and colors!". And right behind that, the Imperial Star Destroyer which just keeps on going, and going, and going, and soon fills the entire screen. My mind reeled at the implied size of the thing, like nothing I'd ever seen in a science fiction film before. I knew then that this was something special, and I was among the first to experience it. And I've been hooked ever since, and still feel a little of that adolescent thrill each time George presents a new movie for us to enjoy.
Greg
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
Saw A New Hope about seven times in the theater back when I was eight. Coolest movie ever.

Can't wait to see Attack - I have one friend taking the 16th off, and another coming in town that weekend, so I'm not sure when I'll go yet. (I know, I know, go on the 16th and on the weekend! Not sure I'd be able to pull that one off. )