_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
better late than never
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:19 AM UTC
I just wanted to say hello to everyone, I never formally introduced myself. My name is Alex, I served in the Marine Corps for 4 years and now work for the government on the civilian end. While I was in I was trained to do administrative work for the Marine Corps, though I never really got a chance. I worked in S-3 for several commands as the training NCO and battalion martial arts instructor for 3rd battalion 12th Marines, and 12th Marine Regiment. I participated in several excersised while I was in, but never deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, deployed to Asian areas like Thailand in support of Tsunami Relief and Cobra Gold, Phillipines in support of OEF and Korea for several excersises. I started modeling when I was younger and took a pause while I was in. Stationed in Okinawa mostly, beat myself up because I didnt take advantage of Japanese hobby stores while I was there. Started modeling again recently after my arrival in Germany and now I'm mostly interested in Marine Corps scale modeling. I have learned many many techniques from users here and I am now entering my first good model to the model of the month competition. Anyways I am always interested in new topics and always looking forward to learning new things from users. Anyways love talking Marine if any of you are interested.

Alex
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:02 AM UTC
Welcome to the "Big A" Alex!

I am sure you will enjoy this site, always lots to learn and try here. Hope you do well in the contest. I still have a long way to go to build up the courage to enter one of my models.

Cheers
HastyP
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
A late welcome to the mad house Alex.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hey Alex:

Welcome aboard. I collect Marine stuff, too. Mostly Marine Corps (and some Navy) aviation. From looking at the Armorama artists I am going to do some Marine Armor. I've got a LAV-25 and a Sherman from Saipan. there's probably a technical designation for this stuff, but 'Tank' works for me right now. I was USMC 65-71: 0311, 0331, Air Delivery, Shipping and Receiving, and Air Shipment and Forwarding (F-Troop was our designation). Anyway, love to talk Marine, but you folks today are so much better and more highly technical than we were. I admire what you all do, and how you do it. In my time, a Cobra and the M-60 were high tech. I saw 'Puff the Magic Dragon' work one day, and couldn't believe my eyes. Anyway, fun to have you here. Thanks for your service, it means a lot.

Semper Fidelis,
Matt
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Welcome to the 'Mad House'

Bud

AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 07:25 PM UTC
Oohrahh, I served from 04-08 and let me tell you, I miss it more and more everyday. I got out because my wife (ARMY) beat me to reenlistment. I guess you could say I am an ARMY wife now
Quoted Text

there's probably a technical designation for this stuff, but 'Tank' works for me right now

I feel your pain, I think us Marines had a slang term for every little thing, because a technical name didnt do it. What LAV kit are you using?? Trumpeter?? let me know, I have been eye balling this kit at our LHS but have been a bit hesitant, mostly because I have two unbuilt kits in my office! Semper Fi

Alex
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
I've got the Trumpeter LAV-25 "piranha" that I want to take a shot at. I also got a Dragon M4A2 (Marines Saipan) to have a go at in the future. I haven't built armor since i was 12 years old. My dad was in the Army, and used to get me a cannon or tank every once in a while. My favorite was "Long Tom," the 'Atomic Cannon.' Supposedly it could shoot a nuclear round a long way away and hurt somebody at the other end.

Sometimes, I think that you don't really appreciate the Corps until you are out and away from it for a while and realize how much you learned and saw while you were in. I think I personally really grew up (or woke up). Went back to college, and graduated from 2 schools successfully. I think the foremost lesson learned was to lead by example (not by consensus).

Remember: The Army Wife is the Backbone of the Army. Couldn't resist.

Semper Semper,
Matt
 _GOTOTOP