TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Has anybody seen Matrix Reloaded yet?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 07:54 AM UTC
I saw it today. Well, I liked it but it wasn't what I expected. I enjoyed special effects as they were really nicely done. I got a little bit sick of all kung-fu fighting. Anybody and everybody seems to be a martial arts expert in this movie. I thought the story was a bit weak too. I will have to see part three as this one leaves everything up in the air. It is one of those To Be Continued... movies.
jakal72
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
I didnt like it.I would rather see girly movie than the Matrix Reloaded again.The strange part is that my girlfriend wanted to see more than me.I thought it was to many long speeches about non sense.I want to see The Hulk but,I will in basic training for the Marine Corps
"Semper Fi" I leave May 26, I hope this great site will be here for years to come.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didnt like it.I would rather see girly movie than the Matrix Reloaded again.The strange part is that my girlfriend wanted to see more than me.I thought it was to many long speeches about non sense.I want to see The Hulk but,I will in basic training for the Marine Corps
"Semper Fi" I leave May 26, I hope this great site will be here for years to come.

I saw it and liked it. A couple of points...weren't all the people in the first movie Kung Fu experts too? And, those long speeches had some pretty deep dialogue that told a lot of the story even though they were long winded.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi

Similar to the first one:
Great visuals. The effects put all of the other current releases to shame. The graphics are superbly done.
Too much karate/kungfu etc. Too many long goofy pseudophilosophic speeches.

My wife hoped for a lot and was disappointed. I was happy it didn't suck (unlike X-men 2, which sucked big time).

Andy
bennie
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
entire network: 436 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
how's the story goning? becease in Holland it was yesterday for the first time in the cinema
YESTERDAY

bennie
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC
Andy, what was wrong with X-Men 2?
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

weren't all the people in the first movie Kung Fu experts too?

I just think they went overboard with all the hand-to-hand combat. It seemed like Oricle was the only one not kicking someone's butt.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 03:13 PM UTC
Sorry gang, but I liked it.
I also turned off the NPR movie review so as not to go in with preconcieved notions, but that didn't work since the couple that sat next to me were talking aobut the review..

I liked the storyline, I liked the idea of the levels of autonomous programs and who/what Neo is (no spoilers here guys, sorry..)

The visuals were good, the digi-effects were good and the fighting was also fine with me.
I did not go to see the love story, but hey.. It's integral to the storyline, I can live with it.

I liked it, and will see it again to digest the final conversation...

That's the drag of going opening night, I've got no one around here to talk about it with.
Mike
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:01 PM UTC
I've been wanting to go see Matrix Reloaded, its playing right now downtown next town over. Thinking of going this weekend, but now reading the reviews, not so sure I want to spend the money on a movie I might not like. I liked the first Matrix. Special effects were awesome and the storyline pretty cool. It was a sleek sharp movie. Sounds to me, from most of the reviews here, that this second one isn't as good as the first.

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been wanting to go see Matrix Reloaded, its playing right now downtown next town over. Thinking of going this weekend, but now reading the reviews, not so sure I want to spend the money on a movie I might not like. I liked the first Matrix. Special effects were awesome and the storyline pretty cool. It was a sleek sharp movie. Sounds to me, from most of the reviews here, that this second one isn't as good as the first.

I have come to the conclusion that I am the best critic of movies for myself. I find that I am almost always at odds with the "professional" reviewers because they always seem to give bad ratings to movies I like. Go figure...lol! If you go look at the reviews for Reloaded most of them aren't good but then the movies makes $42.5 million in the first two days of release...lol!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2003 - 05:08 PM UTC
Keep in mind, some people were disappointed in movies like "The Empire Strikes Back" when they first came out too. Sequels of great movies always face huge hurdles.

Personally I doubt these guys could make a reall "bad" movie.

Jim
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
HI guys

First, the movie wasn't bad, just not great.
And I agree with Jim, expectations are high! Those previews were accurate, the visual were great!

If that highway scene had been cut in half (or by more than 50%) the movie would have been better. The stop action pan and scan is the Matrix trademark, but it's old now, and does nothing for the story. Like The Two Towers, X-Men 2 and other sequels, the Matrix 2 is about a half hour too long, in my opinion. And the extra time is all big battle/fight scenes. Sure, that was fun the first 50 times I'd seen it, but big battles don't have to be long!

I thought the rogue programs and other ideas were good. It doesn't hang together that well, I think, and again, it may be that I don't find the philosophy expressed very original or deep.

And Ed, X-Men 2 sucked because it was too long, and how many times can they save the world? Xavier exhibits super-duper powers in one scene that disappear in the next, and there are too many 'subplots' that are tired old love triangles. Of course, Wolverine still kicks ass, and there's a nice but brief preview of some of the new X-Men. Nightcrawler is the highlight of the movie. I think they have to move away from that tired old "Humans hate Mutants; small-minded Humans try to kill all Mutants because they are scary; Mutants save the day" plot. I'm giving nothing away, because the X-men seem to have been stuck in this cycle for decades now.

Of course, I'm just an old bitter movie goer now!!
Best movie recently: Bend it Like Beckham.

I'll get off my soapbox now, and have another cup of coffee!

Cheers
Andy
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
X-Men 2 was in my opionion a pretty good movie......

Matrix 2.. was to me as confusing and weird as the first one...

but the kid enjoyed both movies and we had fun together because we did the double feature afternoon/evening/ thing together so I cannot consider any of the time taken as wasted.

User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 05:27 AM UTC
I am going to see the movie next weekend. I think that the movie's manuscript because, it was made before Matrix 1. The first manuscript are almost always better than the second and thrid. For example: Lord of the rings. The first film was much better written than the two towers (I didn't like these "hollywood" jokes like: "I am too short!", "Wait for me!", it lowered the score, I think).
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 08:09 AM UTC
As far as X2 is concerned, Andy, I hear you. As for how long can they carry on the human vs. mutant storyline, well, they've done it for 40 years in print, so what are couple of years on film? #:-) The same could be said of you other (valid) points. As far as the question of how often can they save the world, well, every issue, my friend. Every issue. #:-) And, to get back to the original subject of the string, I plan on seeing the movie no matter what the critics or others say. I'm curious to see it, and that curiosity won't be fully answered until I take it in with my own Mark 1 eyeballs.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
A lot of people who didn't like it simply didn't understand the "pseudophilosophy" behind the story. In any case all the philosophy "crap" in the movie has basis, I have yet to remember them however (time to dig up my philo notes).

As I noticed though, middle stories always have this "mediocrity syndrome", pardon the pun.
mrs_selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
That is very true about the critics, I have seen many movies and enjoyed them thoroughly and the critics bashed the movie. The special effects and what they show as the trailer on TV just wetted my appetite. But I hate wasting my money on something I might not like. All in all, maybe we see it this weekend. But if its better to wait for the DVD, I might just go ahead and do that.

I liked Lotr better than Two Towers. I would have liked to see more of the Ents and have them concentrate more on the characters.. but I am hoping Return of the King pulls it all together and comes out bettr than Two Towers.

Anyway, Matrix Reloaded looks like a possible see this weekend. I'll let u know what I thought of it if we go to see it.

blah
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 33 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
ok, i know this is the matrix thread but as we are going with sequels in general...

matix reloaded was good, i think some of the effects looked a little to cg(it was damn fine for cg animation, but you could see the dif between it and the real thing) i liked it, didnt think it was confusing either

x-men 2:loved it, awesome. i grew up watching the cartooon, and i the movie is great.

lotrtt: as a movie it was kickass, but as a book to movie translation it was horrible, he murdered the plot and fights. i loved the first a lot more
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
I didn't get to see it yet. Maybe next week if we get a babysitter and the splash dio is done.
With all this negative comment, I'm wondering if I shouldn't spend my movie "slot" to go see "28 days" instead. Has anyone seen that yet ? How is it ?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
Sit through the entire end credits - teaser for Matrix Revolutions will be shown after the end credits.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
Think I'll wait for the DVD versions of both. I grew up with X-Men comics (long before there ever was a Wolverine) and wasn't bowled over by the storyline of the first flic.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sit through the entire end credits - teaser for Matrix Revolutions will be shown after the end credits.

unless you are too bored by then, and can wait for all the other previews between now and November!

By the way, someone told me there is some of Godel's philosophy instantiated in the whole Architect sequence. Does anybody know if that's true? I haven't read that stuff.

Andy
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:15 PM UTC
I have watched reloaded already. It wasn't really bad, I mean everything was more than I expected. The kung fu scenes were just right & so are the other action scenes. Remember guys, that's what the Matrix was known for anyway & the dialogues were really interesting especially the Architect scene where neo is given w/ the two choices. The dialogue there was something you really need to listen to or you wouldn't undestand at all the existence of both neo & the matrix
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For example: Lord of the rings. The first film was much better written than the two towers .

Jamal, I think you may be incorrect here. The three movies of LOTR were written and filmed as a single piece, much as Tolkein's book(s). The movies are being relieased in the manner they are to A) make more money (three admissions instead of one) and B) to keep the flavor of a trilogy, as the three books are commonly known on this side of the Atlantic (as in, "You have read The Trilogy, haven't you?") and C) to get as much of the original story on the screen as possible.
Critics of the TTT compplained of little character development. Well, yeah, the characters were introduced in the first film. TTT and ROTK are not meant as stand alone movies, as say, Lethal Weapon 2 or 3, but absolute continuations of the story begun if Fellowship.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:59 AM UTC
I wasn't a big fan. I think that this movie was a too hyped up, tried to be very philosophical but ended up sounding cheesy, and, to be brutally honest, it wasn't all that interesting.