Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Our Fropiles
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:51 PM UTC
Welcome to Tanker25 & BT06. Hope to see you both one of these days.

Keep on modeling.

Hunter
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 04:40 PM UTC
Buck: I get it from www.plauder-smilies.com :-)
av8harrier
Visit this Community
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:32 PM UTC
good day sir(s)
i'm ej, from san mateo, rizal. im 28 yrs old. and i'm interested in plastic scale modelling.
my friend introduced me to scale modelling. last year. my first model was a-10 thunderbolt. it was a 1/144 scale. it was kinda clowned? coz it was my first time. now i feel like i want to shift into batle tanks. thanx. and good gentlemen.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:40 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama EJ! Ano project mo ngayon? Marami kang matutunan dito
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
AV8harrier, judging from your name, you must be a Harrier fanatic. Good to see some people like you! Hehehehe.... Welcome po!
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
Maligayang pagdating, EJ! Youve come to the right place.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
See what I've told you guys?

Shadow has fallen on San Mateo, Rizal. Soon, the whole of Rizal - and Luzon, to boot - will come under the blazing eye of Sauron. MWUHAHAHA! MWUHAHAHA! MWUHAHAHAHAHA!

Welcome to Da Phorum, EJ! :-) Don't mind my side, insane commentary which comes up from time to time. As you might've observed, I'm the resident madman in the phorum (hey, someone's got to do it). If you need anything, just post and we'll reply ASAP.
av8harrier
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:17 PM UTC
thanx for a very warm welcome...
wala pa ko proj. kung saka sakali baka march pa mga sir! ano ba ma-sa-suggest nyo for a beginner?
naka tapos na ko ng 1:144 na a10-thunderbolt. pero empre ag beginner. kasama na talaga yung mga hindi pantay. impatient na pag glue. reason why i joined this forum is para din maka kuha din ako ng tips sa mga marurunong na.
thanx.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:31 PM UTC
Harrier: I reckon you focus on aircraft? For practice, try Academy's 1/144 products - even their F-14. Though not top rate, they are dirt cheap (P63.00 - you can't beat 'em) and easy to build. If you screw up, you can easily buy a replacement.

If you want to delve into armor, try 1/72 armor by Revell, or the 1/72 M1A1 by Dragon. The latter is uber-easy to do. Alternatively, if you can find the 1/48 armor kits by Academy, go for that. I inspected one kit and it looks damn easy.

For ships, I suggest buying those 1/700 waterline ships, preferrably the IJN destroyers. They are easy to build - I assembled mine under 12 hours (not kidding, not bragging) - but at P500+ up, quite pricey.

If you want a more challenging but still easy build in larger scales, in aircraft try the WW2 line by Academy in 1/72 - you name it, Spitfires, Mustangs, Zeros, etc. etc.

In armor, go for the Dragon BMP-1 or BMP-2 IFVs. They are among the easiest 1/35 scale armor kits around. The tracks though are link-to-length, not vinyl, but they're not too hard to do. Alternatively, there's also the Dragon BRDM-2 armored car which is easy to do as well.

When starting out, it doesn't hurt to NOT detail the kit. Build it purely OOTB. Don't bury yourself in too much "accurizing" (or as they say, the dreaded AMS - Advanced Modeler Syndrome - which more often than not keeps a kit unfinished). Trust me - lots of beginners end up ditching the hobby because they think one needs to super-detail each and every kit they get to lay their hands on.

If you don't have an airbrush and you want one but not willing to pay a tidy sum, try Gunze's Pro-Spray airbrush kits. The cheapest costs P1,500 and comes with two paint bottles, an airhose and an air can.

For masking canopies, use the more expensive 3M Magic Scotch tape. The adhesive ain't that sticky, hence if you remove it from the canopy, it doesn't leave such a mess as ordinary scotch tapes do. Then there's the product at True Value hardware stores called Goo Gone. Get a bottle to help you remove the sticky residue left behind.

There's a lot of good people here in this forum or the entire site who can help you out. Don't be afraid to post your pictures of your work as well.

And the most important tip of all:

HAVE FUN! :-)
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanx for a very warm welcome...
wala pa ko proj. kung saka sakali baka march pa mga sir! ano ba ma-sa-suggest nyo for a beginner?
naka tapos na ko ng 1:144 na a10-thunderbolt. pero empre ag beginner. kasama na talaga yung mga hindi pantay. impatient na pag glue. reason why i joined this forum is para din maka kuha din ako ng tips sa mga marurunong na.
thanx.

Welcome to the club av8harrier, as a beginner dont buy an expensive model, try Academy in 72 scale w/c is cheaper, less headache & mostly w/ good fitting. Be patient always, dont hesitate to ask if you encounter any problem lots of guys here are willing to help you, just practice, practice & practice. Happy modelling.
av8harrier
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:47 PM UTC
thanx. i had ur messages printed... cguro this payday i'll try to visit yung hobby shop sa ali-mall. and ask for models na namention nyo. and i have all ur tips in mind. one more question; as a beginner wala naman pinipili siguro wat model i want to build ryt? pero wat would u guys suggest? or depende talaga sa interest ko. although im into aircrafts.
well i love ww2 airplanes too.(f4u corsair, p40 warhawk, wildcat n mustang...) sa modern aircrafts naman, of course harrier, f4-phantom, prowler/intruder, f-18 hornet.
ano ba sa tingin nyo yung beginner model na aircraft na 1:72? and ano ba mga basic tools/material na cheap and madaling hanapin?
standing by...
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:08 PM UTC
"Whatever interests you" is the best tip in selecting a kit. Having interest on a kit means that you've got a greater chance of finishing it.

The Academy 1/72 WW2 series looks very easy to do. I've helped a comrade do his 1/72 P-40 which was damn simple to do. I reckon the others in the series are just as easy.

For modern, try the F-16. It looks uber-simple to do. Avoid the F/A-18E/F kit by Italeri, Revell, or Tamiya (they are the same) because the intakes have a hard fit and might disinterest you in building the kit (I for one put off building it for months because of the intakes).

Again, best advice is "whatever strikes your fancy."

As for tools, try getting an X-Acto knife. JMN has them. National Bookstore has the blades, but not the knife itself AFAIK - unless they carry that now. I seem to recall buying two knives at Ace Hardware years ago. I tried using the usual cutter (the one with the retracting blade) before but IMO nothing beats the X-Acto knife. Blades are pretty pricey though - P14.50 per blade in National Bookstore IIRC.

Sanding sticks/emery board/nail files are available in most grocery stores I think for P2.00 or even less.

Get hold of some sandpaper - 250 up to 800 grit.

Chloroform as liquid cement. Available at Mercury Drugstores (but last month I've checked those that I've visited and so far they have no stock. They might've restocked by now). Absent chloroform, get Tamiya Extra Thin cement. More expensive than the regular liquid cement, but you only need a few drops to make a strong bond. And it dries quicker than regular liquid cement.

For putty, try getting Elmer's Wood Putty which is similar to epoxy putty and is water soluble. Best thing about this is since it's water soluble, when you apply it to the model, you can wash off the excess before it cures, thus saving you the time to sand excess putty off.

Any CA glue / superglue to fill those minute seams. The way to use that is once the fuselage halves are glued together and the liquid cement has cured, apply a small amount of superglue along the seam. Let dry and cure. Once completely dry, sand it off. The seam will be filled by the superglue.

Elmer's white glue for the canopies, though enamel clear gloss can also be used to 'glue' clear parts.

If you don't have an airbrush and not much funding for that one, then the only way to go is painting by brush. For that, use enamel paints, not acrylic nor lacquer. Enamel is King of Paints when it comes to brushes. Tamiya is the most widely available, though JMN has ancient stock of Humbrol.

Your average splice cutters / wire cutters for the removing kit parts from sprues.

3M Magic Scotch Tape for masking.

An old toothbrush to clean your model before painting it.

After painting the model with the base coat, and before applying decals, get some lacquer clear coats - both gloss and flat. This will seal the paint and decals, making them permanent.

Cotton buds / Q-tips for positioning the decals.

That's the bare-bones tools I guess to have to make a kit.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC
Name's Ron.

Handle: 4-Eyes (in the BAC circles)

Address: San Pedro, Laguna

33 yrs. old, single and attached to no one.

I'm a college teacher (I teach history) currently in transition. I'm also going back to grad school and I'm currently writing a paper which I'll make a book someday. I've taught in DLSU-Manila (9 yrs.), Assumption College (4 yrs.), University of Asia and the Pacific (2 years).

I finished college in DLSU-Manila AB Political Science (where I also taught). I'm transferring my graduate studies to UST (Ateneo's too far for me, sorry, Bull). I'm pursuing an MA degree in History.

My favorite modelling genre is anything that sports Stars and Stripes (or Bars). Be it aircraft (my primary modeling category), armor and ships. I'm a devoted follower of the Jedi Order (the Light Side, that is) ;-) I have yet to buy and build my first sci-fi kit.

I started the hobby when I was about 8 years old when my balikbayan uncle gave me a Revell ship kit to build. Forgot about it when I began working but got back because of a broken heart (as a good therapy). Other hobbies outside modeling: computer games, anime/manga collecting and martial arts. You guys talk about Chinitas, I dream of them ;-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Forgot about it when I began working but got back because of a broken heart (as a good therapy).

Yeah, it's nice to cut, slice, sand, drill, burn, melt or trash plastic while thinking of an ex or an enemy, all the while making screaming noises... #:-)

There I go again! My lucid moments are fast disappearing. Sigh... someone call Mandaluyong before it gets any worse. #:-)
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:35 PM UTC
Yeah, it's nice to cut, slice, sand, drill, burn, melt or trash plastic while thinking of an ex or an enemy, all the while making screaming noises... #:-)

There I go again! My lucid moments are fast disappearing. Sigh... someone call Mandaluyong before it gets any worse. #:-)[/quote]

I'm also into Zen Buddhism. I realize that their philosphy is not exclusive to martial arts but in anything we do. The concept of losing oneself in whatever pursuit we are into. And the drive to excel.
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:32 PM UTC
Welcome to AV8Harrier & 4-Eyes.

AV8Harrier: Aircraft & armor are the 2 favorite modeling subjects. Though this is Armorama, maraming aircraft modelers dito. I also prefer WW2 aircraft & while I like some aircraft the Allies used, I'm partial to the German Luftwaffe. GIB answered many of your queries already so I hope it should be sufficient for now. Mahirap ma-overload, especially for a beginner. Tell me, who was the modeler from San Mateo that introduced you to the hobby?

Hunter
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
Welcome av8 & 4-Eyes71.

hmmmm.....zen Buddhism you said....very interesting.
av8harrier
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:16 PM UTC
good day sir,
nag introduce sa kin actually si tanker25. member di sya dito.he's from marikina heights. kasama ko kasi sya sa work... binigyan nya kasi ako ng merkava1 that was his first model. and after ko makita yung tiger tank. dun ako lalo na enganio!. thanx for askin sir. wat about submarines? kasi mukhang maganda rin i build eh... thanx for the tips. i really appreciate it.
standin' by...
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:35 PM UTC
av8harrier - subs need a lot of extreme detailing.... compare mo sa armors and aircrafts of 1/72, this is smaller. To make it really good with a sub, you'll need lots of thin pointed device and use them for painting those extreme details. As for the body of the sub, it's just a breeze. You'll just have to pay attention to the small details.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

av8harrier - subs need a lot of extreme detailing.... compare mo sa armors and aircrafts of 1/72, this is smaller. To make it really good with a sub, you'll need lots of thin pointed device and use them for painting those extreme details. As for the body of the sub, it's just a breeze. You'll just have to pay attention to the small details.

Depends on the sub and scale. For WW2 U-boats and other subs of that era, yes, lots of details. For modern subs like the Typhoon, Alfa, LA, Ohio, they are a breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze to do - especially the Revell 1/400 Typhoon. Case in point: my Revell Typhoon which was assembled, painted, decaled and sealed in, oh, three days.
cbrain21
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 141 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
Name: Raymond or Ardee S.

Alias: cbrain21 (a.k.a. cbrain in other forum boards)

Location: “Loob” ng Muntinlupa pero “Labas” ng Bilibid. Approx. a couple of hundred meters behind the Shell station in SLEX.

Work/Occupation: Instrumentation & Control Systems Designer/Engineer in an Eng’g Company.

College: UST – BS Mech’l. Eng’g.

Highschool/Elementary: DLSZ – Alabang

Model Interests:
- 1/144 & 1/72 scale modern aircrafts
- Japanese cars & American muscle cars ( I haven’t started on any of these yet but I’m interested in making them someday.)
- Macross mecha.

I started with model making way back in elementary when my Tita bought me a 1:144 scale A-7 Corsair II way back mid ‘80s. I then got more kits from my father and uncles when they learned that I enjoyed making them. The ff. is a list of what I remember that I made then….
- Testor’s 1/720 U.S.S. Nimitz
- IMEX 1/450 M.S. Trinidad Cargo Liner (a cargo ship my uncle became a captain of)
- Monogram 1/25 Chevrolet Corvette Z-51 Snap-Tite
- Tamiya Honda City Turbo (yung motorized na maliit)
- Revell 1/144 Columbia Space Shuttle w/ Boeing 747
- Testor’s 1/72 Grumman E-2C Hawkeye

They were all finished but most were rarely painted. (I was a pennyless kid with a rather expensive hobby) ehehehe. All of the above were lost and or destroyed when my kiddie cousins invaded my room when I was in high school. I rediscovered the hobby after college when I saw those Arii 1/144 Macross Veritechs being sold for less than PhP 150.00 at the turn of the millenium. Those were the models that were completed with brush/spray (aerosol cans) painting. I am rediscovering the hobby again now that I’m armed with my long aspired airbrush and have started working on a couple of modern aircrafts.
CSMeekai
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 160 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
Name: Michelle
Aliases: Meekai, Meekzee, emjaetee

Location: originally, R6, specifically Iloilo City now, i'm practically NPA but mostly staying in the Alabang area

Model Interest: Aircrafts...

I'm a beginner in most areas... the last time i built a model was about fifteen years ago, working hard for it simply to find them destroyed by vicious little critters labelled as little cousins.

here's rediscovering the craft this time! :-)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:42 PM UTC
Welcome to our cybertambayan!!! Dumadami na tayo! May gal pa!!!

Explore lang kayo! This site has a lot to offer. Lahat tayo beginner kaya never hesitate to ask a question. A stupid question is a question that's never asked

Next step: IPMS meeting on March 21. Hope to see you there!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:02 PM UTC
Cbrain: Hehehe like the handle (computer virus' name hehehe). BTW, am curious, how'd you stumble into Armorama?

Hey, we FINALLY got a female member! :-)

CSMeekai: 3-cubed? That'd be 3x3x3 = 9?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? But I thought you're already working... must be my math... like Dubya's - fuzzy. #:-)

Wait a minute... we got a female?!?!?

JEEPNEY: (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

QUICK! DELETE ALL THREADS ABOUT WYMYN AND RELATED STUFF! DO IT! ASAP! DESTROY ALL INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE! WE DON'T WANT TO SHOW HOW CORRUPTED AND PERVERTED WE ARE! QUICK!
OMG, it's going to be too late.. TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-)

Everyone, do NOT BTT those threads! #:-)

Uh oh, SR's hormones will be going ballistic when he finds out... #:-)
flex_cs
Visit this Community
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wait a minute... we got a female?!?!?

JEEPNEY: (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

QUICK! DELETE ALL THREADS ABOUT WYMYN AND RELATED STUFF! DO IT! ASAP! DESTROY ALL INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE! WE DON'T WANT TO SHOW HOW CORRUPTED AND PERVERTED WE ARE! QUICK! OMG, it's going to be too late.. TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaargh! we got a female on board!!?!??! hmmmm w8t bka its only in the name coz i have a friend whose name was "mario michelle"

wow this is the first tym ive heard the female species are also into this hobby....of ors with the exception of that gAL at JMN....natalie...i think

who got you into this hobby Michelle??