_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Howdy...
DragonSoldier
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hey y'all... New guy, back into military modeling after a ten-year hiatus. I retired from the US Army Chemical Corps in 2006 with 30 years of Service and finally settled down to devote my time to modeling. I'm married 28 years, father of two, son's a US Army Artillery Battery Commander, daughter's a Blackhawk pilot in the Army Guard.

I now manage an apartment building that gives me a free hooch and a salary, and along with my rich uncle's check every month, I can devote almost all my time to modeling. I also belong to two different WW2 re-enactment groups, one as a German Panzergrenadier (2nd Panzer Division), the other a USAAF officer (918th Bomb Group (H) ).
I collect WW2 uniforms and flight gear as well as re-enacting.

My modeling interests are in WW2 (focus on German armor) and 1960-1999-era armor and vehicle dioramas, WW2 aircraft, and a small bit of Sci-fi. I look forward to getting to know y'all and your work...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 10:10 PM UTC
Gday Mike
A rather comprehensive introduction mate! You seem to have everything fall into place ready for modelling
Hope you enjoy it here. There is practically every facet of modelling covered throughout.
You mention reenacting. Now I know you said you did German and USAAF stuff, but is there any chance there are members who do WWII US army and Armored forces, and any links to photos of such?
I'm into sculpting figures, and some modern photo reference of WWII vintage gear is much sought...
Cheers
Brad
DragonSoldier
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:13 PM UTC
Start here, Brad...
http://www.worldwartwohrs.org/Events.htm
The World War 2 Historical Reenactment Society (WW2 HRS)is the group I belong to. There's quite a few US units that have their own sites and you can find them through the main site.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:43 AM UTC
Good luck to you in your retired life. My son enlists this month and I am trying to steer him towards a decent MOS. Model building is such a relaxing activity.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:08 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Mike.

Quoted Text

I also belong to two different WW2 re-enactment groups, one as a German Panzergrenadier (2nd Panzer Division), the other a USAAF officer (918th Bomb Group (H) ).

How do you reenact being a USAAF officer? You don't bomb anyone I hope
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:16 AM UTC
Welcome Aboard Mike.
"Free hooch and a salary, and along with my rich uncle's check every month"
Sounds like a winning hand there.

Enjoy the site, and looking forward to seeing some photos of your stuff.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 02:05 PM UTC
Welcome Mike , you hit the right spot , this is the best site everything you need right under the sun . If you have any questions or even tips please feel free to post . some one around here will answer even if we seem a little odd at times . happy modeling !
DragonSoldier
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard Mike.

Quoted Text

I also belong to two different WW2 re-enactment groups, one as a German Panzergrenadier (2nd Panzer Division), the other a USAAF officer (918th Bomb Group (H) ).

How do you reenact being a USAAF officer? You don't bomb anyone I hope

It's rough job... Basically, we go to airshows, get in free, and sit around the bombers "kitted up" (to borrow a phrase from the RAF) and let people take pictures of us while we pretend not to see them and drink free beer. We bum rides on the bombers as well...
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
Mike,
Welcome to Armorama...you will definately enjoy your tour of duty with us! Congrats on the retirement! 2-3 more years and I will take off the uniform myself! Anyway....glad to have you aboard!
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:59 PM UTC
hi and welcome
 _GOTOTOP