TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Whats Your Take On Band Of Brothers?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 04:52 PM UTC
What was your opinion on Band of Brothers? I thought it was pretty good, although it seemed like dialouge,dialouge,dialouge,dialouge,dialouge,action,dialouge, dialouge. Other than that, would the DVD set be a good buy?

~Chip :-)
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 05:24 PM UTC
I for one thought it was an amazing series and would love to have it on DVD. It was worth it alone to just get the insights from the Veterans themselves.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 07:19 PM UTC
I taped it as I watched it otherwise I sure would buy it.
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:56 PM UTC
Personally - and I'm probably the only one here who thinks like this - but I didn't find it that good at all. I watched 4 of the 6 episodes, each time hoping it would get better before finally giving up. Nothing I can put my finger on, just (AFAIAC) an average series.

Cheers,
Linz
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally - and I'm probably the only one here who thinks like this - but I didn't find it that good at all. I watched 4 of the 6 episodes, each time hoping it would get better before finally giving up. Nothing I can put my finger on, just (AFAIAC) an average series.

Cheers,
Linz

I kind of agree with Linz here. I do think the action was amazing and can't praise that aspect too much. But, I had trouble finding characters to identify with and really didn't get interested until the last few episodes.

I guess that's my biggest complaint, too many characters that looked too much alike to keep track of.

So, if you are a WWII buff its a must see. But in terms of drama I don't think its the greatest thing ever. For modelers it's also a source of great inspiration.

As far as buying the DVD's, for me it would not be worth the cost since I was able to have them taped when the series ran. Even if I didn't have them taped, I don't think I would purchase them because I still haven't rewatched the VHS copy.

Steve

PS - I know a lot of people here are very big Private Ryan fans and while I thought the beach landing was one of the greatest scenes ever filmed, the rest of the movie waas a bit too contrived. I did like it but thought the characters were way to chiche'. You know, the Brooklyn guy, the tough but caring Sarge, the country boy who prays, etc...
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
For a made for TV series Band of Brothers is remarkable. The whole point of the series and book was how similar these warrors are. There were no Rambos, just a group a men joined in a common cause to defeat the enemy and stay alive.

I have the DVD version and find the episodes and the documentary, "We stand alone, together." excellent.

SPR is not contrived, it is condensed. The characters are real, the tuff Brooklyn guy, the country boy sniper who prayers as he fires and the most important character the unassuming school teacher who at home gets little respect is now a Captain in the 2nd Rangers and who is suffering from the stress of command and the guilt of sending men into combat and to their deaths. =WOW! Probably the finest war movie ever made.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
My wife bought me the whole DVD set for christmas and I will be eternally grateful....... great to put on while modelling. Gives me inspiration. Everytime I see it I see something new and gives me great ideas for dios, backdrops, settings etc.
We all complain that there are never any good war movies and when we get this free on the telly ......... some still knock it!
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
I loved the Band of Brothers Series. I really felt like I got to know the respective characters and now that I have not watched it in some time, I miss them.

I thought the action and accuracy were excellent as well. :-)

Andrew

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Before anyone comments on the movie, I think they need to read the book. This is not fiction. Sure, it was adapted and a screenplay was written. I read the book when it came out (way before the HBO series) and I was really worried that HBO would butcher the book. I was pleasantly suprised. Those things really happened. To real people. As much as I like SPR, that was a movie, fiction. BOB, is not. My two cents.
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 01:53 PM UTC
Relative to the "contrived characters" in SPR I didn't find them contrived at all. While serving in the Army I met the tough guy, the school teacher, the country kid. That is what makes a citizen army great, a melting pot of people. Something else that was evident, we were all pretty much the same. Not much movie glitz in my outfit, other than I knew that each and every one of them would die for me, and I for them.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
I first watched this series when it ran here on TV and thoroughly enjoyed it. When the DVD release came along I think I was one of the first in line for it here. The DVD collection is great and had some very interesting extras on it. I consider it to be a great addition to anyone's collection.
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 323 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
the book is definately a must read, the stories there are more in depth with comments from the people who actually participated in and told the stories to author, they went back to europe well after the war with the author and there are comments by subjects of books that they make at that time very interesting read

Bender
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 03:36 PM UTC
I liked the HBO series and I also agree with Keenan and Bender, read the book as well as some of the others that Ambrose has written. One thing noone has mentioned is that the HBO series kicked off a great deal of websites that are pretty interesting. Here are two that are neat especially the sections with photos and timelines:

http://www.geocities.com/secauth/bob/index.html

http://www.hbo.com/band/landing/currahee.html

One other thing - if you ever get a chance and are in New Orleans - check out the D-Day Museum which was started by Ambrose. I visited a few months ago and thought it was a great museum.

GR8Voyager
QYRANG
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2003 - 04:47 PM UTC
Actually I drifted off into relative dis-interest after they got bogged down in the Bulge. I found it started off quite well but lost momentum for some odd reason. But heck, it beats 99% of TV schlock out there anyways.
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
the movie intensified my dislike of the American soldier of WWll. showed me that they were guilty of murder, rape, despoiling and pillage. i was happy when i saw them getting their butts kicked. this was also my opinion of the British 1st Airbourne at Arnhem.

Love the Marines!

Chris
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Before anyone comments on the movie, I think they need to read the book.

I did read the book while watching the series. The only real differences were what the series decided to place emphasis on. I think that the casting was very well done as well as the other points mentioned.

Andrew

HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
An excellent series. Love the D-Day landing episode. Top notch. Buy it on DVD!
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
I really liked BoB, I first only saw a few episodes on tv but then got the set on DVD. When you watch all the episodes in order, the way you are supposed to, I found that I really got into it.
I might get into trouble for this but I would say that Band Of Brothers is even better than SPR

lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
It was aired on HBO before, but I've seen only a very few episodes...

There was also that soldier who got very excited that he got hit by his own shrapnel when he was clearing that room...Poor Guy...

I love that episode when they captured the German Batteries....Cool...

One guy even dodged incoming bullets from a German Machine Gunner...He even took a German Officer's Luger...

I wish I could see all the episodes...T_T
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the movie intensified my dislike of the American soldier of WWll. showed me that they were guilty of murder, rape, despoiling and pillage. i was happy when i saw them getting their butts kicked. this was also my opinion of the British 1st Airbourne at Arnhem.

Man, what are you smoking up there in the left field bleachers? I really don't understand what prompted your comment -- are you trying to be funny?

While there were certainly individual American soldiers who committed crimes during the war, this type of behavior was not condoned, encouraged or tolerated by their leadership -- unlike the wholesale atrocities committed by the Japanese, Germans and Soviets before and during World War II.

As for your precious Marines, ask the Okinawans who the rapists and murderers are. Every law-abiding American serving in Okinawa today is suffering because of the acts of a few sick morons who happened to be Marines.

One of the great things about Ambrose's book and the subsequent mini-series, is that it shows that soldiers are not all saints nor heroes. I think it was a pretty honest portrayal of ordinary men put into an extraordinary situation.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually I drifted off into relative dis-interest after they got bogged down in the Bulge

Thats the point I picked up watching the series... I was lucky enough to see it through and then saw the complete series from start to finish.. I thought the episode concerning the fight at bastonge was well done.. It showed extermly well, I thought, what they went through during that time.. From the bitter cold, the artillary barrages from the germans, to the subsequent attack on the town of Foy.. What drilled that episode home for me was the interviews with the fellas who came home from bastonge... They still remember how cold it was.. Some 60 years after the fact... The things they endured..
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the Marines!

Chris

Hey man, what's up?

I said BOB and SPR were both pretty good but not the best things I have ever seen. Someone asked for some opinions on a movie. Why rag on the real life soldiers? What's the point? Why would you be happy to see the Americans and British "getting their butts kicked?"

When you say soldier do you mean just the Army?

Seriously, do you mean this or is it just a typo? There were atrocities committed by all involved, but I sure think that it much more civil on the Allied side (at least the Brits and Americans).

You have a right to your opinion and it doesn't bother me that someone would feel like this (even though I strongly disagree), but if you're going to say those things at lest give some facts or basis for your beliefs. We are just talking about a movie here, why the slam?

Steve
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually I drifted off into relative dis-interest after they got bogged down in the Bulge

Thats the point I picked up watching the series... I was lucky enough to see it through and then saw the complete series from start to finish.. I thought the episode concerning the fight at bastonge was well done.. It showed extermly well, I thought, what they went through during that time.. From the bitter cold, the artillary barrages from the germans, to the subsequent attack on the town of Foy.. What drilled that episode home for me was the interviews with the fellas who came home from bastonge... They still remember how cold it was.. Some 60 years after the fact... The things they endured..

I for one especially like the last episode. The speech by the German general, and the baseball play scene. very touching.

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:16 PM UTC
i thought it was brilliant the action and special effects were great.
Down here in New Zealand we rarely get anything like that on T.v so it was even better.
i went out and bought the video set as soon as i could
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:49 PM UTC
I thought it was one of the best miniseries I have ever seen. It really showed the human side of the men who really fought and died in Europe.

And I think it is just silly to compare it to SPR. They are both based on true events, and both happened in WW II around D-Day, but one is a movie, and one is a 10 hour miniseries.

SPR is IMHO one of the finest movies ever made, and it is certainly one of the best, if not the best war film ever made. It is the only war movie I have ever seen that didn't glorify war or violence but yet didn't diminish at all the sacrifice made by the brave men on all sides of the conflict who gave life and limb for their countries...

Scott