_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Another new guy
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here... After several months of enjoying the heck out of this site, I've finally gotten around to joining. As seems to be the custom, I'll tell you all a little about myself:

I'm a practicing attorney in Atlanta, Georgia (attorney jokes are more than welcome), and I recently returned to the hobby after a 8-10 year layoff. I built quite a few models when I was in high school, and even got as far as using airbrushes; I focused mainly on aircraft at the time. I quit modeling, mainly for want of an appropriate space, while I was in college and law school. After being in the adult world for a while, I decided I needed additional sources of fun and stress-relief; I remembered how much fun I used to have builing models (and had forgotten most of the frustration) and decided to give it another whack.

This time around, I've focused mostly on armor, probably because of traumatic childhood experiences with canopy painting. So far I've been doing German WWII stuff, though I certainly do not intend to do that exclusively. I'm afraid I don't get to spend much time on the hobby, being fairly busy at work. At most I can get in 30-60 minutes in the evening, much of which I spend staring at piles of trees, pieces, and paint, wondering what to do next.

After doing a couple of models OOB (Tamiya's Mk IV and StuG III), I decided to start poking around the internet for additional resources and advice; that's when I came upon armorama, and my eyes have been permanently bugged-out since then. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am by the level of craftsmanship and artistry displayed every day on this site. You guys are amazing, and I've already learned more than I ever thought I would know about making 1/2 once bits of plastic look like weight several tons.

At any rate, this site has inspired me to get a little more adventurous; I'm doing AM add-ons to models now and am begining to scratch some mods. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to do work that compares favorably (or at least is in the realm of the comparable) to some of the stuff I see here; in the meantime, I'll just soak up the knowledge.

Dave Darden
"Boring his wife with little plastic toys since 2002!"
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi Dave welcome to the best site on the web
If you have a question someone here will have the answer. :-)
Errr still practicing to be an attorney, how long does it take to get good at it?
Mal
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
Welcome. I'll hold off on the lawyer jokes as long as you hold off on state worker jokes #:-) . This is a great place, and by all means, post some pics. These guys are very supportive and will offer direction if you want that. :-)
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hello Dave, welcome to the club,we call your profession soliciters over here,i suppose it has a different meaning your side of the pond LOL.
Arthur
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
Welcome Part-timer!!

Enjoy!! And don't be shy...
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hello, Part timer,
...and welcome to the site! I will hold off on the lawyer jokes also, since you have probably heard them all. I am certain you will enjoy the site, obviously we succeeded in "luring you" here. Be sure to share your work with us (the armor, NOT the legal stuff!)

entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
Welcome aboard - I believe you have found the most helpful, friendly, informative web site on the internet.
There are over 2300 peopl here all willing to help out.

My only suggestion - Post a question, you'll get an answer. I would point you in the direction of the reviews and features too. Lots of good information!

Welcome aboard (check out the thread on the site going down for maintenance on Friday night, hate to see a new person miss the news and shy away because of maintenance)
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
Welcome! you'll find lots of informative stuff here at armorama.Quick lawyer joke,got this off "whos line is it any way?"

Dictionary
lawyer:See reptile #:-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
Humm... legal representation eh? Could be just what we need around here.

Welcome aboard Dave! As you have seen during your 'lurker' days, there's great people hangin' round in here!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
Dave, it's great to have you come out from the lurker's corner. You'll love it here even more as you begin to participate in our little home away from home while at home or work.
Hope to see more of you around here!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
Welcome Dave. Since everbody else is refraining from hitting you with lawyer jokes so will I.

You'll find this is the best modeling site on the web. Isn't it fun how people from all over the world can talk about making Japanese models of German stuff?

StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
Welcome Dave, you've found a great site for advice and your skills will explode as you start to converse with all the guys (and gals) around here.

As for lawyer jokes, trust me, I've heard 'em all, I grew up with a lawyer in the family.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 12:54 PM UTC
Mmmmhhh I seem to have missed this one

Well normally I write down a complete welcome message but I can`t add more then what is already said here so the only thing I can say is welcome on board dude and I hope you have a good time here

shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 02:04 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Dave...... no lawyer jokes coming from me (mine would surely double his rate if he heard me tell one). I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 06:40 PM UTC
welcome dave...the goal is to do each model better than your last...there is a wealth of experience and people who love to hare it, so have at it and enjoy
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
welocome to the greatest site on the web. glad to have one new member. soon we'll can even met as the Armorama Club i hope, as long as we are from all the countries of this world and maybe there are aliens throught us too
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 08:46 PM UTC
Wow!!! Lots of new friends joining over the last day. Welcome on board Dave!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 09:28 PM UTC
Welcome onboard dave. Always nice to have new members joining in! Best of luck to ya!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
welcome to armorama PArt timer.glad you joined us
 _GOTOTOP