TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Movies Tonight: ***MIDWAY*** and...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:01 AM UTC
All Times Eastern Standard

On AMC (American Movie Classics)

@ 2000hrs Midway repeats @ 0200 & 1515 Thursday

Starring: Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, James Coburn, Charlton Heston, Robert Mitchum, Edward Albert, Hal Holbrook, Toshiro Mifune, Robert Wagner

Director: Jack Smight

One of the last megabudgeted WWII battle films has a large cast of familiar faces, character actors, and stars in decline, who join forces with radio-controlled models, stock footage, and explosions to re-create this saga of the massive air and sea battle of June 1942. Fonda plays Fleet Commander Chester W. Nimitz and Mifune his Japanese counterpart Admiral Yamamoto (with voice dubbed by the ubiquitous Paul Frees). Meanwhile there is a subplot involving Captain Garth (Heston) and his son?s intent to marry a Hawaiian woman of Japanese descent. Long and loud, but quieter now than when first released: original theatrical showings used Universal?s "Sensurround" process, which utilized low-frequency speakers in theaters to shake the floors and walls.

And following: @ 2220hrs repeats @ 1315hrs Thurs. & @ 1345hrs Sat.
STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

Starring: Alex Nicol, James Stewart, Bruce Bennett, Barry Sullivan, Frank Lovejoy, Jay C. Flippen, June Allyson, James Millican

Director: Anthony Mann

Stewart plays a starring St. Louis Cardinals third baseman (and WWII vet) who answers the call of duty when he takes another tour piloting the giant bombers of the SAC. Wife Allyson (appearing as Stewart’s spouse for the third time!) doesn’t appreciate Stewart being away from their newborn, and he grumbles about missing baseball. But his mission is exciting and there’s a job to be done. Stewart was himself a pilot and a patriotic, longtime officer in the air reserves. Academy Award Nomination for Best Original Screenplay.

Enjoy! :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 06:29 AM UTC
Aaaah yes, Strategic Air Command. Verrry good stuff there! One of my fav's!

"I... I...can't move my arm..."

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
Does everybody remember that "Sensurround"? Pretty cool stuff when it was first introduced. I did'nt know it was used in "Midway". My best memory of it was in "Earthquake", and I think "TheTowering Inferno" used it too. Hmmm, or was it "stereo simulcast" they used?
Does'nt compare to todays Surround Sound systems...but it was cool.
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
Thanks Kenc, just turned it on. I missed the first hour, but all the action is just starting. AND Hey, someone call 911, I think GunTruck is having a big one, says he can't move his arm. Sounds like a coronary to me. Chris.