TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
A Bridge too Far
cartridge
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 61 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
Has anyone seen this movie?I saw it and it was pretty good.I wondering if anyone else saw it.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
I have it on DVD. I think it's pretty good although I've heard it call "A Movie Too Far." I don't know how true to history it is but if it's based on Ryan's book it should be very good. I personally like the fact they used sub titles for the non English speaking lines. I suppose some people will complain that not all the vehicles used were direct copies of equipment from that time.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
I bought the DVD, too. Read the book and watch the movie. Fairly good depiction of what happened, I think. Not too much Hollywood, if you can get past the 50 year old Robert Redford paddling the boat with an M 1 Garand...
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 10:16 AM UTC
they did use real shermans tho......Alot of them! At least its not as much a blunder as ........ech!..Battle of the Bulge...that movie just sucked! Liked ABTF tho
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:52 AM UTC
Movie was OK...could have done without the hospital bit though.....too much Drama for me I'm a Longest Day / Tora Tora Tora type fan. Though I will say that the Pearl Harbor DVD is great, you can skip all the crapola and go straight to the digital depiction which is exquisite
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 02:32 PM UTC
Good movie. I think they went to a lot of trouble getting all the uniforms and vehicles as accurate as they could.

But one of the most glaring, to me anyway, misconceptions was how Hollywood put across the character of Field Marshal Model. He was not the luxury-seeking, concerned-for-his-own-personal-safety type of individual as he was shown to be in the movie. He was one of Germany's best, as his record in Russia shows him to have been. He did not get the nick- name of being 'Hitler's fireman' for nothing. But that's Hollywood for you, which is okay for the masses.

Take care, sgirty :-)
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

they did use real shermans tho......Alot of them!

Actually they used very few of them. Most of the Shermans were fakes put on top of VW Bugs! One of the tanks was actually a monument and was unbolted and refilled with fluids. The german "panzers" used on the bridge are actually Leopard 1's with vismod on them. Hey at least they're still German tanks :-) All in all though a very good movie.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 01:45 PM UTC
Yeah, I saw it! It was pretty good, a little long and drawn out but other than that it was pretty good.

~Chip
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
i was glad to see the Brits get their a@@es kicked, especially their paras.

Chris Deutsche Schweine
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
I'm glad I have this one on DVD. I love the movie.

Danny
PZKFWIII
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they did use real shermans tho

Ahhh, but riddle me this....what was the Panther mock up in the scene where Sean Connery was stuck in the attic?

I love that movie. picked it up for under 10 bucks at the PX....DVD even!
Cpl_Grimes
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
Its a great movie...shame the Brits are on teh recieving end. At this point i would pick up on pak40 point by mentioning a few places where the US have "failed", but it was a a@@ kicking for the Brits with what i think was a stupid plan...i'll shut up now
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahhh, but riddle me this....what was the Panther mock up in the scene where Sean Connery was stuck in the attic?

I love that movie. picked it up for under 10 bucks at the PX....DVD even!

I have heard it was a Leo 1 dressed up. I'll look again for suer.
I saw this in the theatre when it first came out. I was probably 10 or 11 at the time. My backyard went from a WW1 type tranch area to a mockup of Arnhem in no time after that! Thank God for those old Aurora Panthers!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

have heard it was a Leo 1 dressed up. I'll look again for suer.
I saw this in the theatre when it first came out. I was probably 10 or 11 at the time.

It was a Leo 1 for sure.

I visited the landings when they where filming that movie.... mass landings..very nice
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
I love the movie. I loved the international feel to it. Finnally a movie with Poles in it. There were some historical inaccuracies but EVERY ww2 movie has some historical inaccuracies to make it cinematic. Remember all the apologizing George C. Scott did for Patton becuase "I did the old man an injustice". Take that to mean what you will. He made a Patton TV miniseries that was as boring as driving through Manitoba at night to make up for it.

Remeber the "best way to capture a bridge is to get both ends at the same time" I think in reality the Grenider (spelling I know) Guards crossed the bridge, and the US Paratroopers crossed via river capturing the bridge in a team effort. they showed the US capturing the bridge by themselves becuase the movie had too much of a limey feel for US audiences.

German tanks were Leopards. Shermans were Shermans or Land Rovers with fiberglass shells on them.

Quoted Text

i was glad to see the Brits get their a@@es kicked, especially their paras.

In Cornerlius Ryans Book "A Bridge too Far" he interviewed a bunch of SS men who were on R&R from the Eastern Front. One of them said "I fought in Stalingrad, but I have nightmares about Arnhem". I think few would have faired better in Arnhem then the Red Devils.