_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello everybody!
ghostdog
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:36 PM UTC
I'm 21 and currently student at the university of Cottbus, Germany. As far as I can remember I was a fan of modelling. My first kit was given to me by my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years.(I think it was some airliner.) At first I was only building fighterplans ( F-14, F-16, Mig-21etc.) and later some ships (USS Enterprise, Bismark) but only in small scall. When I was 17 I spent 1 year in the Texas. There I found this kit of a PBR 31 MK 2 "PIBBER" I hadn't seen before, and I don't know why, as the kit was a boat, but from that time I started building tanks and other armored vehicles. I prefer modern armor like M1 Abrams, Challenger 2 or Leopard 1 A1A4 to older armor (eg.Sherman, Königstiger).
As I see many of you guys prefer the older armor, how come?
That much for my person, hope to have fun with you guys.
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
entire network: 285 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:01 PM UTC
As I see many of you guys prefer the older armor, how come?

My opinion is the influence of the time ( movies, actuality ) when'' Saving private ryan'' was out and the serie'' Band of Brother'' became a grater influence of the WW II dio and modeling. After '' we were soldiers'' it actualy also influence more peopler for the VietNam war ( before that some of you will get about that remark believe me it seriously happend ).
The interest of the modern armor will become excecieve around this time. Watch my word you will see more dio about desert storm and the actual conflict.
Any way welcome
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hi,

A warm welcome GhostDog, to the best modelling place on the Net.

I'm one of those who prefers old armour -WWII - why ?
Perhaps because when I started those available to me are the old Airfix 1/76 soldiers and tanks from WWII sold on plastic bags with a paper leaflet.

scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
Gosthog wellcome on board! I'm sure you'll find here tons of interesting stuff from planes to ships going trough sci-fi and armour.
Ciao
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:59 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama ghostdog...to answer your question about building W.W.II armour. At least for me it's was probably the influences around me as I grew up. Father fought there, mother lived there, all the movies were about W.W.II. So that's what I was weened on. :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
Welcome, Glad to have another member. The more the marrier.

As far as my focus on older armor. I grew up seeing it and building it and the bug never left. I do venture into modern stuff, I just have this thing about doing the older kits first.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC
Guten tag, mein herr! Welcome to the site.

I tend to build only military and sci fi subjects because for an average person like me you don't see those sorts of vehicles that often. You see cars on the street everyday, so why build another? With a tank or battleship or ME 109, you only see those on rare occasions unless you're lucky enough to work in a museum of some sort or are in the military. I also grew up a military brat and gained an interest in military subjects at an early age that never went away.
I hope this gives you a little extra insight into the military modelbuilding mind of this hobbyist.
Have fun, and I'll see you around the site!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
Hi ghostdog, welcome to the best site on the net
I build aircraft, WW II, why? More interesting diverse and colourful than modern stuff. Also it's smaller so room to display. Another reason might be that the younger generation know nothing about WW II, so it's about keeping a very important part of my country's and the World's history alive. Yet another reason is honouring the men who fought, on all sides. :-)
Mal
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
Welcome Ghostdog

Glad to have you on board.. Here you will find a group of 2000+ people that are sharing their knowledge and therefor answering any question you have. You definitely came to the best site in the world and far beyond.
The only thing you have to do is ask. and I`m sure you`ll get more answers

You have not only found an terrific site but you have also found a new addiction

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The interest of the modern armor will become excecieve around this time. Watch my word you will see more dio about desert storm and the actual conflict.
Any way welcome

I think you're right. The war pics in magazines and on the web give interesting reference material. I feel like repainting my M577 in desert camo... !
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hiya Ghostdog, good to have you around. And remember, from this day on..no more unanswered questions for you.
You've entered the best modeling-site in the world!!!

All the best, John.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Ghostdog.Welcome to the best model site around. I love the oldies grew up on the old Airfix kits as well, Just love those big cats.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
Wie Gehts Geisthund? I guess that's right, been a long time since I was in Germany. I live in Texas now. Welcome to the club hope you enjoy.
 _GOTOTOP