_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Lurking too long....
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 11:22 PM UTC
.....so heres my story.

First of all Hi everyone!!!

I'm about to get back into modelling after a break of about 13/14 years. The reason, one day I was having a look around e-bay at nothing inparticular and up popped a Tamiya auction (cant remember which). So I had a look, and then looked some more and thought that maybe I should give this modelling lark another crack of the whip. A visit to a dusty loft at my parents a few weeks later found all my old modelling stuff in fairly good condition, though the models themselves were, to be honest, a bit poo! One problem though was that in my current abode there was no room, problem about to be solved as myself and SWMBO have just bought a new house which we should be moving into over the next few months and has ample space for me to spread out. SWMBO doesnt know this yet though so mums the word. In the meantime, Ive picked up a few bits and pieces which I need such as paints, thinners, etc but as yet am yet to purchase any models though I do have an unopened Tamiya Horch still in the loft but I'm gonna save this til I get to grips with the basics once more. I could go on and on and on and on but prior to me starting proper ( I have a new shower to fit and two rooms minimum to decorate first) what do you think is a good starting point for the basics? Get a couple of cheapish AFV's and practice on them before moving on or just go for it big time? The last time I modelled as I mentioned I wasnt very good, probably as I had little patience but in my old age (30 next week) I've managed to mellow a bit and are prepared to let things take as long as they need.

Thanks for listening.

PS forgot to mention but Ive been lurking since November.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hey, Glad to have you posting.
After a long layoff its always a bit slow getting in. You're eye and mind have grown and you skills have not been practiced.
I would get back in with some practice kits. My recommendation would not be to get the most inexpensive kits for practice. Reason is you get what you pay for and it can lead to a major project just to get a practice kit going due to fit problems and seam issues etc.
I would say get a smaller kit such as Tamiyas M3 or Pnzr II or maybe the Kiterannd (sp). That way you get some inexpensive kits going and you don't get frustrated with having to fix stuff.
Another recommendation is - ask ask ask. You'll get answers here.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hip Priest

Firts of all Welcome on board.
You`ll find here enough information to update your own techniques if they are a little bit rusty through the years. Here are 2000+ Plastic lovin` maniacs that are willing to share their knowledge and will answer each question you have. You only have to ask.

I agree with Slodder. Buy some cheaper kits but not the cheapest to start practicing. What I am doing if I want to practice some techniques I take my first kit that I ever purchased and then srewed up (tamyia tiger1 early I believe) but If you don`t want to do that then the best advice I can give you is buy something of the more wallet friendly manufacturers like Italeri

Welcome on board and I hope you have a nice time here and succes with the new house

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:48 AM UTC
Welcome on board and glad you are back in modelling...I have no doubt you will remember almost everything and will get back your old skills in a short time like 1-2 practicing...and we all will be so happy to share our knowledge and experience with you in these boards. welcome here again and happy modelling.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC
The only thing to add to what the other fellas said is... another WELCOME ON BOARD!!!
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Welcome!!

The only other thing not said was "we love pics"!!

I guess it should also be said that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked!! Do a search of the site for your basic questions, and you'll find a wealth of info!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC
Welcome aboard hip preist,youll find a gold mine of info here and btw its great that your back in modeling!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
Welcome aboard. As the others said, try some inexpensive kits to reaquaint yourself.I agree, the Tamiya PzII is a good kit to start back with. I got one a few years aog with no instructions and was able to get it assembled in an afternoon. I'd suggest getting your feet wet again sooner rather thn later. A friend on the other coast has been planning to restart for about 10 years now. Has a bunch of kits and stuff and jsut can't get started on anything. So roll up the sleeves, spread out a dropcloth, open that box and get building! :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi Hip_Priest, welcome to the best site on the web and welcome back to modelling. You are going to have fun. Even though I model aircraft I'm looking to get involved in the Barbarossa Campaign, that the tread heads are organising, if it fits in I will be doing the Pazr II, it will be my first armour kit for a hundred years so we could also do a mini group build. To see what a group build is all about take a look here:Spitfire group build This was started to help a tread head through his first aircraft build, so you see anything is possible :-)
Mal
PS where abouts in the UK are you?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:42 AM UTC
Welcome aboard.

I just got back into modeling after about a 25 year absense. This is absolutely a GREAT site for information on this hobby.

What I did is I collected models whenever they were on sale over a period of a year. I also collected paints, glues, and other modeling tools over that time. Finally I was ready to take the plunge.

You don't have to do it this way. The longer you put it off the longer you delay the fun you'll get when you finish that first model. I primarily model armor and I didn't have a good experience with the only plane I've made since getting back into the hobby. If you want open up that Horch and go for it.

Like others have said get a relatively inexpensive, but not cheap, model and learn from your mistakes. I know I certainly did.

StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
Welcome aboard!

I agree with the other guys, I would start with some of the older Tamiya kits. Inexpensive, but generally have a good fit of the parts, minimal flash. Sure they aren't the most accurate, but they are pretty close. Don't start rivet counting already!

Some good examples, the Panzer II F/G, the M5 Stuart, the Sdkfz 222 or 223....small, cheap, easy to build. As you begin to build your skills you can start looking at Tamiya's newest gems. Expensive, but absolutely beautiful kits.

Good luck!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Priest, Greetings from london, Like you I had a long break in the modelling I started back doing an academy Humvee with a Tow launcher on top, cost about six qiud had tons of accessories three figures the works well worth the money.Any way welcome to the site these guys are the best. all the best.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama and welcome back to the hobby.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 06:54 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby. There is so much that has changed so don't get overwhelmed. Goal is simle....to make each model better than the last one. Just about every issue you can come up with will get many responses, so when you ask a question...go back and check frequently as there are many of us and we do do things diferently.
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 08:57 PM UTC
all i can say more to you is WELCOMWE TO THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
Welcome Hip Priest.
A great site you have found gets better every time you sign on.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hi Priest....glad you stopped lurking,and got invoved with the madcaps,this a bonafide lunatic asylum,and bloody good enertainment,we love posts and pics,and dont be shy about showing your work,people are always better than they think they are.
Arthur
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
Thanks, tesekkur ederim, grazie, tack, multsumesc, etc for all you replies.

Some top tips on there which I've taken on board and hopefully put to some use in the not so distant future. (Im in Manchester by the way).

Thanks again and you'll be hearing from me soon.
 _GOTOTOP