TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Tank in the movie "The Beast"
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 05:55 AM UTC
I got this movie in the mail yesterday and watched it last night (great eBay buy at $5.49 delivered). The tank in question is a Ti-67, this is a T-55 tank that was up gunned with the M68 105mm main gun used in the M60 series tank. It is basically an Israeli vehicle made from captured T-55 tanks and given a US/NATO gun to aid in ammo commonality. It is supposed to represent a T-62 used in Afghanistan during the invasion. Interesting to note that the Soviet crew uses American tank gunnery commands.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
If the IDF Ti-67 is disguised as a Soviet T-62, then perhaps the tankers are actually americans diguised as Soviet tankers!

JFF

James
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the IDF Ti-67 is disguised as a Soviet T-62, then perhaps the tankers are actually americans diguised as Soviet tankers!

JFF

James

Maybe they´re israeli Jesse! Cheers!
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
I saw that movie too, Though it was a REALLY long time ago, BUT back then I did not even know what sort of Russian Tank it was. I thought it was a pretty decent flick. Cant remember how it ended though. Thanks for briging it back to mind.

Dagger: A weapon with a short pointed blade: i.e." The Cutting Edge"

Dagger-1
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
It was released in 1988, while I was stationed in Germany. It's amazing what you miss when out of the country for several years. Twin Peaks and Alien Nation series came and went while I was gone. That was one movie that never made it to the PX theaters (for obvious reasons). I had heard of talk about it throughout the years, but it wasn't until I saw it released on DVD that I started searching for the VHS version. Good movie, ends with the tank being destroyed, two of the enlisted tankers running away to safety, the evil tank commander being killed by Afghanistan women and the hero being rescued by helicopter.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi Rob;
I also got this VHS tape, I really liked this movie, and I see it once in while, pretty cool!
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 06:52 PM UTC
Paulo,

we would need a version on DVD so that we can watch it frame by frame as reference material for our IDF models ROFLMAO
Watched Big Red One the other night, I have taped it and that one is good reference for M51 Ishermans. Ironic to see Israeli tanks driving around with German crosses on them...............
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paulo,

we would need a version on DVD so that we can watch it frame by frame as reference material for our IDF models ROFLMAO
Watched Big Red One the other night, I have taped it and that one is good reference for M51 Ishermans. Ironic to see Israeli tanks driving around with German crosses on them...............

I do agree David :-)

Quoted Text

I had heard of talk about it throughout the years, but it wasn't until I saw it released on DVD that I started searching for the VHS version.

It seens that´s already have a DVD version....
Cheers!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 04:56 AM UTC
Speak of the devil...

Would you believe, I came home from work, dropped into the couch, turned on the TV, clicked through a few channels, and low and behold, "The Beast" was just ending!
Oh well, at least I got to see the credits in full...
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2002 - 08:47 AM UTC
If I recall right, in that movie where they are shooting up the villages, look closely. I think that the Israeli's or whoever is manning those vehicles were actully shooting live ordance. There was none of that "Poof of smoke" and a bang. Guns were recoiling, shock waves were coming off of the tanks, and if it wasn't service ammo, somebody did some helluva good job making it seem that way. I know there were no "live" bodies in the buildings, so this further leads me to believe that they were launching live projo's. Just me recollection. Check it out and let me know if I'm wrong Rob. Great movie BTW. "Q"
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I recall right, in that movie where they are shooting up the villages, look closely. I think that the Israeli's or whoever is manning those vehicles were actully shooting live ordance. There was none of that "Poof of smoke" and a bang. Guns were recoiling, shock waves were coming off of the tanks, and if it wasn't service ammo, somebody did some helluva good job making it seem that way.

I noticed that the first time I saw the movie back in 1989 or 1990. The only odd thing is that even with all the concussion and recoil, there's no tracer on the round (at least not that I can tell).

The funny part about this movie is, when it first came out on VHS, my tank platoon got together to watch it. We had mixed feelings about who to root for in the movie because even though the crew was Russian, they were tankers!