TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Final Countdown, movie
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:55 AM UTC
As anyone seen this movie? I have seen it oh about 30 times and I still can't figure out how commander owens got from to deserted island on december 7, 1941 to being in the limo shortly after. Would anyone care to discuss this movie and what is the meaning of it?
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:01 AM UTC
Oh, brother...

I happen to like this movie simply because I love alternate history stories...

I assume Owens and the gal (and her dog...) are found on some island ala Gilligan. With his knowledge of post war econemy, Owen's becomes rich and a big wheel. Thus, the limo...

A fun speculation that was not taken far enough, IMO.

If you like this, try Rising Sun Triumphant ed. by Peter Tsouras.

Keith
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As anyone seen this movie? I have seen it oh about 30 times and I still can't figure out how commander owens got from to deserted island on december 7, 1941 to being in the limo shortly after. Would anyone care to discuss this movie and what is the meaning of it?

Time travel movies always present such conundrums.

As Jpeiper suggests, the commander is found as searchers look for the congressman and his aide. He knows where and when to invest and becomes rich from the ultimate insider trading scheme . As to the meaning, beyond a recruitment film for Naval Air and entertainment of a good thriller, it suggests that history really can't be changed. A couple similar novels are "Remember the Alamo!" and "Remember Gettysburg!" wherein attempts are made for nefarious purposes to alter the outcome of these two events but are thwarted by a second group who travel back to keep history on track.
Similar plot: the Twilight Zone episode where a tank crew is timeported to the Battle of the Greasy Grass, AKA Custer's Last Stand, except they don't get back and can't, for some reason, bring their tank into the fray.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:42 AM UTC
hi Wolf,
I've seen this movie quite a few times andI love it. I agree with the others that they were rescued at some point and got rich thru the commanders knowledge of future events.
My favorite part is the discussion concerning their involvement in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. I love the argument that their duty is to defend the United States, not just at a specific time but at any time. Therefore, it's proper to intervene against the Japanese navy. What a great concept.
And it doesn't hurt that Katherine Ross is in it too. Hubba hubba! :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 08:23 PM UTC
Nothing like mixing time travel with war flick. One of my favorite 100 movies... If you liked this, find a tape from that old show in the 60's called Time Tunnel. In the first episode it was the Titanic in the fourth it was Pearl Harbor